HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Savard VS Gainey... Someone made a mistake!!! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=30763)

Skull & CrossSticks 11-24-2003 04:16 PM

Savard VS Gainey... Someone made a mistake!!!

2 weeks ago, and I'm certain someone can confirm, André Savard said
at RDS that Mike Komisarek's development should be compared to Boston's Nick Boynton: he spent 2 years in the minors, solidified his play, earned a roster spot with the Bruins and now he's one of their best d-man. He also said that Mike was playing one good game, and one bad.

So it's like saying Mike won't be there for a good while, no?

Well, 2 weeks later, according to RDS (again), Bob Gainey is apparently
trying to trade a d-man to make place for a d-man currently in Hamilton.

2 days later Mike Komisarek's with the big club.

Savard says something, then Bob does the exact opposite!

Are they starting the War? Maybe Bob's trying to push Savard off the shelf?

And I'm sure André said these things...

Mike8 11-24-2003 04:26 PM

There's no 'war'. From Savard's comments about his role, he not only understands it, but he even wants to be in a support role at this point. Gainey is the boss, period.

Now just because Savard stated he felt Komisarek wasn't NHL ready doesn't mean that Komisarek can't be on the big club as the 7th defenseman. Nor does it mean that he feels Komisarek shouldn't be in the NHL. It just means he doesn't feel Komisarek's good enough yet to be a top 4 defenseman or a player to rely upon.

Part of a young player's development is to come up to the big league on occasion, play a handful of games, experience the big-league feel, training, and preperation that goes into games.

didjuicythat 11-24-2003 04:27 PM

Maybe you are reading too much into that. I have read about these comments too, and basically Savard only said the AHL would perhaps be more appropriate for Komisarek this year, since big guys like him take more time to develop than forwards. Gainey never had the opportunity to see Mike play in a regular season game situation. My guess is Bob wants to know more about him, and see how he can do at the higher level.

I don't see a problem with having Komisarek in Montreal. If Hainsey was given an opportunity, I think Mike deserves one too, as he had already shown maturity and readiness in the past. Let's not forget most experts thought Komisarek would start the year with the Canadiens.

The bottom line is, if we never call him up in Montreal, we'll never know if the guy's improving or not, if you ask me... as he will have faced only players a notch behind the NHL level.

RichardZednik#20 11-24-2003 04:45 PM

Yah, Savard also said that Komi was going to be in the line up for sure at the start of the year. Things changes and it's normal and sometimes for the best.