HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Refusal by Purinton Puts Sather in a Bind (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=30853)

KING 11-25-2003 03:17 AM

Refusal by Purinton Puts Sather in a Bind

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/25/sp...ey/25RANG.html

True Blue 11-25-2003 03:19 AM

I do not want to register for access. Can someone post the article, please?

allrevvedup25 11-25-2003 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
I do not want to register for access. Can someone post the article, please?

here ya go

Refusal by Purinton Puts Sather in a Bind

By JASON DIAMOS

Published: November 25, 2003

REENBURGH, N.Y., Nov. 24 Rangers Coach Glen Sather confirmed Monday that last week he asked defenseman Dale Purinton to accept a two-week conditioning assignment with Hartford, the team's top minor league affiliate. Purinton has thus far declined to do so.

Sather, who is also the Rangers' president and general manager, said he was waiting to hear back from Purinton's agent, Tom Laidlaw, a former Rangers defenseman. Purinton would have to clear waivers to be reassigned to Hartford. The Rangers are aware that Purinton, who makes $550,000 this season, would be claimed.

"I won't do that," Sather said of a reassignment after the Rangers practiced at their training facility Monday. "It's one of those situations where you don't just give a guy away. I'll either trade him, he'll go to the minors or he'll get in the lineup. Those are the options."

But Purinton, who has exercised his right to reject a conditioning assignment in each of the last two seasons, indicated Monday that he would do the same now.

"But we can't focus on if I'm in or I'm out," said the 27-year-old Purinton, who has dressed for only 2 of the Rangers' 20 games this season. "We have to focus on getting better, not on personal goals. I'm not by any means upset with my situation. I understand how it works."

What Purinton does not understand is why the Rangers would like him to learn to play forward in Hartford. When Purinton last played, Nov. 8, against the Philadelphia Flyers, it was as a forward to give the Rangers added toughness.

"I'm first and foremost a defenseman, and that's what I'm going to be: a defenseman," said Purinton, who is listed at 6 feet 2 inches and 220 pounds. "It's a little late to be switched to forward."

Purinton also said he did not feel he was in need of conditioning. Sather, however, thinks Purinton needs to work on his timing.

"I think it's silly for him if he doesn't go down and play," Sather said. "Until he got hurt last year, he played very well as a defenseman. But he wouldn't go down and he seems to have lost his timing since then."

Purinton missed 15 games last season with a broken foot.

Lundyfan 11-25-2003 03:27 AM

Second time Purinton's done that. Last year he refused as well. Somehow I can't see that sitting very well with Sather.

allrevvedup25 11-25-2003 03:31 AM

very selfish move by Puriton. He would be in his best interest to go and get into some game situations rather than just practice. I think he will be traded for a late pick.

pld459666 11-25-2003 03:43 AM

I'm glad he refused

With some of the bone-headed plays this defence has made the fact that he's played in just 2 games (1 on D) is pathetic. No he's not a Norris type guy and never will be one, but he's a stay at home defenceman with toughness. I'm sure that he would have played just as well as Maladog over he last 2 weeks with the exception of that one game where Maladog looked halfway decent.

On top of it, he's not being sent for conditioning purposes, but to learn a new position as they would have been playing him on the wing.

Personally I hope he gets traded and comes back to bite Sather in the ass.

All the kid has done his whole career is learn the game and get better at every level and prior to getting better at this level Sather has to start dicking him around? Screw Sather.

Purinton, hold firm and you may eventually be saved from this s-hole of a franchise.

#37-#93-#27* 11-25-2003 03:52 AM

Good for Purrinton, that is NOT selfish at all. I only wish younger players had the same options so they can **** with Sather the same way he does with them. He doesn't deserve any fall back.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 11-25-2003 04:19 AM

What does Dale really think his options are? IMO the guy has already overachieved by being on an NHL roster. He played very well for a spurt last season but that was the exception not the rule.

What I don't get is the sense of entitlement with Dale in this matter.

Melrose_Jr. 11-25-2003 04:27 AM

Quote:

"It's one of those situations where you don't just give a guy away..."
:eek: This from the king of giving players away. What sparked this new interest in asset management? By asking DP to play forward, the inference is made that we're short on forwards, yet Siklenka, Keefe, Petrovicky and Heerema were dumped without any regard for their value or potential contribution to the team. Something tells me Sather would be happy to swap Dale for any one of those guys right now.

JR#9* 11-25-2003 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
:eek: This from the king of giving players away. What sparked this new interest in asset management? By asking DP to play forward, the inference is made that we're short on forwards, yet Siklenka, Keefe, Petrovicky and Heerema were dumped without any regard for their value or potential contribution to the team. Something tells me Sather would be happy to swap Dale for any one of those guys right now.

Exactly MJ, why let those guys walk while protecting Dale when Bouchard is clearly our 7th d-man and you could see this situation coming with Dale since the begining of the season.

As for Dale I think this is well within his rights to refuse it to force Slats hand one way or the other and the guy just wants to get into an NHL lineup so if I were him I'd do the same thing.

Davisian 11-25-2003 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
What I don't get is the sense of entitlement with Dale in this matter.

I don't see it as a "sense of entitlement" for Dale..

Actually, it might be to a certain extent, since he's earned the right, ergo he's entitled, but it's not like he's rattling the cage, demanding ice time and being a distraction in the lockeroom..

I think he's being smart about it.. Saying the right things, but protecting and excercising his rights.. He knows full well if he's out of sight, he's out of mind with TLB...

Larry Melnyk 11-25-2003 05:10 AM

Personally, I think Dale is silly to refuse the two-week stint....He should realize that his career as a Ranger D-man is over..If you are only put in two games with the collection of inconsistent mamalukes this team has on D, the coach has no use for you....Best for him to go play a few weeks in Hartford, hopefully be seen by scouts who might want to trade for him...All that being said, I don't blame Dale one iota for his stance and wanting to be part of the Rangers, no matter how small....

On to Sather..Typical pissing away of another asset...There's no way in hell Purinton should not have played more then two games so far..it's called keeping your team and entire roster involved and ready..And I know Purinton is no great shakes but the decison by Sather to bury underscorses Sather prefernce for vets who make the same mistakes over and over, and players who bend to the offensive side..Both of which I disagree with....

Hoepfully, for Dale's sake he, he can get out of NY soon and give me one less of a precious few Rangers that I really like..

JCProdigy 11-25-2003 05:30 AM

Well he's 8th on the depth chart now so Dale, grab a hot dog and a beer and enjoy watching NHL games in person for free.

Kodiak 11-25-2003 05:41 AM

Purinton has nothing to gain by going down to Hartford. It's not as if anyone thinks that he'll actually play after his 2 weeks are up. In all likelyhood, he'd be asked to extend it indefinitely so he wouldn't create a roster jam. Maybe Purinton is trying to piss Sather off enough to get himself traded or put on waivers and away from this trainwreck of an organization, which would probably be the best career move Purinton could make right now. I'm sure a team like Pittsburgh or Washington could use another NHL d-man, especially one that only makes $550k.

Oh, and anyone who said before the season that keeping 8 d-men on a 23-man roster was piss-poor asset management, please raise your hand.

::raises hand::

SingnBluesOnBroadway 11-25-2003 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davisian
I don't see it as a "sense of entitlement" for Dale..

Actually, it might be to a certain extent, since he's earned the right, ergo he's entitled, but it's not like he's rattling the cage, demanding ice time and being a distraction in the lockeroom..

I think he's being smart about it.. Saying the right things, but protecting and excercising his rights.. He knows full well if he's out of sight, he's out of mind with TLB...

Maybe sense of entitlement was the wrong term.

But I do think he is overestimating his place in this organization and in the league. He is at best eighth and arguably tenth (behind Tyutin and Lampman) on the depth chart of defensemen and he is at best 15th or 16th on the depth chart at forward. He is not mentioned as one of the top fighters in the league anymore. Where does he really think he's going? Would he pass through waivers? Probably not. But that does not indicate he would be anything more than a seventh defenseman on other teams as well.

But it really seems like a win-win situation for Dale to accept the assignment. If he plays well he may well earn another shot with this team or he could actually give himself some trade value.

And Dale, to say that you are a defenseman and you can't learn to play forward is ridiculous. You're not a defenseman right now, you're a healthy scratch.

JCProdigy 11-25-2003 05:53 AM

Quote:

But it really seems like a win-win situation for Dale to accept the assignment. If he plays well he may well earn another shot with this team or he could actually give himself some trade value.

Actually, unfortunately for Dale, its more like a lose-lose situation because no matter what, he isn't gonna get what he wants, which is to be a regular top six defensman in an NHL lineup. Still you're right as he probably would improve his position on this team along with others if he did well on his conditioning stint.

I can't help but feel bad for Dale because by all accounts he's a great guy. I mean, just look at what he said in the article about team VS. him and how he understands the situation he's in.

Larry Melnyk 11-25-2003 05:56 AM

Quote:

And Dale, to say that you are a defenseman and you can't learn to play forward is ridiculous. You're not a defenseman right now, you're a healthy scratch.

Of course he can learn to play forward, but he can't do it in two weeks or two months...Career-wise, going to Hartford to play forward would be a nonsensical move because he will even be buried in Hartford, even behind the telanted guys and the likes of Scott, McDonald and others.....However, I agree that Dale would be best served by going to Hartford, PLAYING D and hopefully playing well enough to get a ticket out of NY anbd maybe get NY something in return..OTOH hanging out in NY, refusing the conditioning stint, and clogging up a roster space may be a good way of getting himslef traded before he has ZERO value (which he might have now) or even waived just to open the slot......Sorry it's worked out that way for Dale, but his NY career looks dead in the water..

Melrose_Jr. 11-25-2003 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodiak
Oh, and anyone who said before the season that keeping 8 d-men on a 23-man roster was piss-poor asset management, please raise your hand.

::raises hand::

It's not if you're going to exploit it. If there's any defense in the league that should be put under pressure to perform or sit, it's this one. Under an other coach, having 2 NHL capable players in reserve would serve as a threat to someone's spot.

In fact, given the success we've had at bringing up forwards from Hartford, Sather's contention that we NEED Purinton to play forward is even more ridiculous. It's only going to take 1 injury on defense to make things seem a little less deep back there.

JCProdigy 11-25-2003 06:08 AM

You can look at it as Sather is trying to increase Purinton's versitility. If he learned how to play wing he could not only serve as a replacement for an injured defenseman but also see some minutes on foward if need be. It helped one of Sather's old enforcers in Marty Mcsorley and it extended his career probably longer then it should have.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 11-25-2003 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Of course he can learn to play forward, but he can't do it in two weeks or two months...Career-wise, going to Hartford to play forward would be a nonsensical move because he will even be buried in Hartford, even behind the telanted guys and the likes of Scott, McDonald and others.....However, I agree that Dale would be best served by going to Hartford, PLAYING D and hopefully playing well enough to get a ticket out of NY anbd maybe get NY something in return..OTOH hanging out in NY, refusing the conditioning stint, and clogging up a roster space may be a good way of getting himslef traded before he has ZERO value (which he might have now) or even waived just to open the slot......Sorry it's worked out that way for Dale, but his NY career looks dead in the water..

My point is, you don't have leverage when you are providing nothing to the team and have spent 99% of your time in the press box. My point is Dale and the team is best served going to Hartford. Whether it's playing forward or not. If he goes to Hartford, he at least has a body of work for which the Rangers and teams to look at when trying to establish some trade value. He's better playing than he is sitting.

JCProdigy 11-25-2003 06:20 AM

Quote:

My point is, you don't have leverage when you are providing nothing to the team and have spent 99% of your time in the press box. My point is Dale and the team is best served going to Hartford. Whether it's playing forward or not. If he goes to Hartford, he at least has a body of work for which the Rangers and teams to look at when trying to establish some trade value. He's better playing than he is sitting.

Actually he's only spent 90% of his time in the press box so get your facts straight singin! :p and I agree with your point.

Larry Melnyk 11-25-2003 06:30 AM

Quote:

But sitting may also get him waived or traded out of NY which for Dale is probably the best thing that cvan happen!!!.....zBut seriously, Where I disagree is "the playing forward in Hartford" part...I don't think it serves any purpose whatsoever other then to just say "he can play W" because between Hatrford and NY, he would probably be 23-25th on the depth chart...I'm sure Dale knows that....He needs to be playing defense..I have no problem if that's in Hartford and see the advantage for all involved..

JCProdigy 11-25-2003 06:38 AM

Quote:

But sitting may also get him waived or traded out of NY which for Dale is probably the best thing that cvan happen!!!..

Come on Larry, what your doing is underestimating Sather's spitefulness. He would probably keep Dale in the press box for the rest of the season rather then waive him and give the guy another chance. All this just to F-over Dale....As Jack Nicholson as Col. Jessup once said, "You've f**ked with the wrong Marine!" Sather's fricken mentallity...

SingnBluesOnBroadway 11-25-2003 06:38 AM

Quote:

But sitting may also get him waived or traded out of NY which for Dale is probably the best thing that cvan happen!!!.....zBut seriously, Where I disagree is "the playing forward in Hartford" part...I don't think it serves any purpose whatsoever other then to just say "he can play W" because between Hatrford and NY, he would probably be 23-25th on the depth chart...I'm sure Dale knows that....He needs to be playing defense..I have no problem if that's in Hartford and see the advantage for all involved..

I think we are on the same page.

Sitting in the box (and not the penalty box) gives him no trade value. If he goes and plays well in Hartford thats creates interest and a market for him.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 11-25-2003 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCProdigy
Come on Larry, what your doing is underestimating Sather's spitefulness. He would probably keep Dale in the press box for the rest of the season rather then waive him and give the guy another chance. All this just to F-over Dale....As Jack Nicholson as Col. Jessup once said, "You've f**ked with the wrong Marine!" Sather's fricken mentallity...

Yeah, I don't think there is anybody who can force Sather's hand save perhaps Messier.