HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Hockey Talk by Country (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Ted Sator (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=309026)

zamo86 11-06-2006 12:55 PM

Ted Sator

hey guys...what can you tell me about him...i heard he has like 12y NHL experience or something like that....he is the new head coach of slovenian nt and i am wondering about your opinion about him....what kind of coach is he...does he gives a lot of chance to young guns etc..

lp

Buffaloed 11-06-2006 05:10 PM

His knowledge of the game is unquestionable, but he treats players like tokens on a board game instead of respecting them as people. As a result, they don't want to play for him, and won't buy into his system. With the Rangers, Barry Beck chose retirement over continuing to play for the Sator and Reijo Ruotsalainen opted to return to Europe. With the Sabres, Sator drove Lindy Ruff to resign his captaincy and demand a trade. He acts like Mike Keenan without the track record of success to back it up. A builder of team chemistry, he is not.

jumptheshark 12-19-2006 06:33 AM

I take it Buffaloed you are not one of his biggest supporters

Blueser 12-28-2006 06:12 AM

I disagree with your assessment Buffaloe-ed, since I think your perspective is skewed to just Buffalo or NY. He has coached at every level, and internationally in Sweden, Italy, Finland, and now Slovenia. If Reijo disliked him so much then why did he come to be his Assistant in the ECHL in New Orleans in the late '90s, at basically no pay? If he is so Keenan-esque, as you say, why did he leave a contract extension on the table to remain as his assistant in St. Louis and tell Keenan he didn't want to work with him any more? And at that time he didn't have another job lined up. He ended up going to coach with his friend Paul Holmgren at Hartford Whalers, btw.
So Zamo, just another opinion for you. I think you have a great Coach who has great teaching skills to help bring Slovenia hopefully back into the A pool. Good luck!

Larkin 12-28-2006 03:20 PM

He got sacked here in Finland in my favorite Team(Espoon Blues). Team played so bad hockey that it hurt my eyes... shoot the puck to the zone and get it back, that was his tactics.

MiamiScreamingEagles 12-29-2006 10:19 AM

My immediate memory of Ted Sator is his connection to Dave Poulin. This article is mainly about Poulin but it discusses his pro beginnings to Sator and Sweden:

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/pr...tures/2862.asp

machoki 03-03-2009 06:08 AM

He just got kicked out of Alba Volán, in Hungary.

I don't know where he's heading.

He didn't manage to do anything in Volán.

Kiraly 03-03-2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machoki (Post 18296672)
He just got kicked out of Alba Volán, in Hungary.

I don't know where he's heading.

He didn't manage to do anything in Volán.

A little unexpected. The team seemed to have improved this year compared to last season. Either there are some personality conflicts or perhaps this could be some sort of cost saving move.

I wonder who will end up replacing him.

machoki 03-07-2009 07:24 AM

But compared to be an ex NHL coach, he didn's show up much. Volán's GM said that Sator didn't take his job seriosly enough, and he didn't put up heart...ANd that's the least he could do.

I don't doubt that he's a good coach, but I think that there are better then him.

I hope that they'll find a good coach, maybe a swedish or german...But u know "small money, small hockey"

Tony Piscotta 08-03-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machoki (Post 18395122)

I hope that they'll find a good coach, maybe a swedish or german...But u know "small money, small hockey"

They signed Jarmo Tolvanen - a Finn - and have already signed a couple of Finnish players. I think that goalie Mikko Tolvanen is either his son or nephew. It will be interesting to see if he ends up in Hungary as well.

jepjepjoo 08-08-2009 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyVP (Post 20646953)
They signed Jarmo Tolvanen - a Finn - and have already signed a couple of Finnish players. I think that goalie Mikko Tolvanen is either his son or nephew. It will be interesting to see if he ends up in Hungary as well.

Son... I don´t think a young promising goalie would sign in Hungary

Blueser 08-11-2009 05:33 PM

where to next?

do you hear any place that Sator is coaching next year yet? Maybe in Austria?

Tony Piscotta 08-27-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jepjepjoo (Post 20701576)
Son... I don´t think a young promising goalie would sign in Hungary

Correct, his son signed with Espoo Blues. Interesting, it seems that quite a few Finns are coaching in Hungary these days.

Kiraly 08-27-2009 01:51 PM

Coincidentally, Alba Volan managed to find a Finn goaltender...

...Tommi Satosaari.

They also recently added a Finnish winger as well, Teemu Elomo.

mattihp 09-06-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiraly (Post 20898380)
Coincidentally, Alba Volan managed to find a Finn goaltender...

...Tommi Satosaari.

They also recently added a Finnish winger as well, Teemu Elomo.

Elomo should do very well at that level. Good signing!

Kiraly 09-07-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattihp (Post 20998434)
Elomo should do very well at that level. Good signing!

Elomo had three assists in two exhbition games against EBEL teams...

...Fehervar won both.

With the new Fins, the addtition of Ladanyi and the two Vas brothers, Szekesfehervar will be a much better team this year.

- - - - - - -

Ted Sator udpate...

...Sator will manage Hungary's National team this year.

Kiraly 11-23-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiraly (Post 21006935)
Ted Sator udpate...

...Sator will manage Hungary's National team this year.

...and as of tomorrow he will also be the coach of KHL Medvescak - Croatia's EBEL hockey team

Blueser 11-23-2009 08:04 PM

Sator-Croatia

Good position for him - they have good team that seems to be under-achieving - hope they get into the playoffs their first year - the fan support is great there in year one!