HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Comrie rumour out of Edmonton radio (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=31000)

Mizral 11-25-2003 02:40 PM

Comrie rumour out of Edmonton radio

I am unsure if it's been reported on air, but one of the hosts of a radio show (his name & show escape me, but he is known on the Oilfans.com board as 'Bryn', I'm sure some Oiler fans know of him) - his post on Oilfans.com a few hours ago:

Quote:

Here's what I'm hearing... and it's all speculation until something actually happens. But... brace yourselves... something may happen this week.

Comrie to the Ducks... in exchange...

Right winger (London Knights) Corey Perry (leading the OHL in scoring currently)... plus a second round pick next spring.
That's all the Ducks are offering up I'm told. Lupil is OFF the market and has been told he's staying put.

Thoughts?? This deal would concern me. Not sure how they'd sell this back home.
I've read his posts for the last few months, and he's a solid source.

Ziggy Stardust 11-25-2003 02:48 PM

I thought they were gonna get Chistov/Smirnov/Lupul or Getzlaf AND a 1st on top of that for just Comrie.
Looks like all those "RUMORS" we were hearing were wrong ey.

But I am also hoping so is that rumor, because that certainly is a low return (and I would hope Taylor would top that).

Bohologo 11-25-2003 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizral
I am unsure if it's been reported on air, but one of the hosts of a radio show (his name & show escape me, but he is known on the Oilfans.com board as 'Bryn', I'm sure some Oiler fans know of him) - his post on Oilfans.com a few hours ago:
I've read his posts for the last few months, and he's a solid source.

Why has Mizral started two more Comrie threads when there is already a sticky? Is this necessary, or board clutter?

FacelessButcher 11-25-2003 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
I thought they were gonna get Chistov/Smirnov/Lupul or Getzlaf AND a 1st on top of that for just Comrie.

GOD DAMN-IT! it's "eh" not "ey" :rolly: . The American infidels shall pay!!! :madfire:

Mizral 11-25-2003 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bohologo
Why has Mizral started two more Comrie threads when there is already a sticky? Is this necessary, or board clutter?

Because both of them are rumours, not proposals. The sticky thread is for proposals.

willie 11-25-2003 02:58 PM

Quote:

(and I would hope Taylor would top that).

I wouldn't. In order to top that, he would have to part with either:

a) Brown
b) Grebeshkov
c) Gleason

Tambellini, Cammalleri and Aulin would be a lateral move compared to Perry. Boyle and Pushkarov are too raw to get a real read on them and I'd rather keep and them and see what happens. All the other prospects (except for Anshakov who is another tough read at this stage) would be downgrades.

So you would deal either Brown, Gleason or Grebeshkov & a 2nd for Comrie? I personally wouldn't.

While Comrie is a very good hockey player, he really doesn't add the type of player the Kings need at this stage and unless we could get for *real* cheap, I'd rather pass and look elsewhere to improve the club.

oilers_guy_eddie 11-25-2003 03:01 PM

Sounds like a horrible deal. If that's all that's on the table, Lowe ought to just put Comrie on the shelf until draft day.

FacelessButcher 11-25-2003 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willie

a) Brown
b) Grebeshkov
c) Gleason

Tambellini, Cammalleri and Aulin would be a lateral move compared to Perry. Boyle and Pushkarov are too raw to get a real read on them and I'd rather keep and them and see what happens. All the other prospects (except for Anshakov who is another tough read at this stage) would be downgrades.

So you would deal either Brown, Gleason or Grebeshkov & a 2nd for Comrie? I personally wouldn't.

While Comrie is a very good hockey player, he really doesn't add the type of player the Kings need at this stage and unless we could get for *real* cheap, I'd rather pass and look elsewhere to improve the club.

How about just Grebeshkov that would top Perry+2nd.

Boondock Saint 11-25-2003 03:07 PM

Quote:

a) Brown
b) Grebeshkov
c) Gleason

Didn't Gleason refuse to sign with Ottawa because he didn't want to play in Canada??? If so, I'd say you don't have to worry about him being moved to Edmonton anytime soon.

Sammy* 11-25-2003 03:35 PM

Quote:

Has the trade happenned? No?
I guess those rumours were right ey

Ziggy Stardust 11-25-2003 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammy
Has the trade happenned? No?
I guess those rumours were right ey

My point is that they're all wrong EH!

Sammy* 11-25-2003 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Sounds like a horrible deal. If that's all that's on the table, Lowe ought to just put Comrie on the shelf until draft day.

No kidding . Thats a joke its so bad.
Your getting crap that in all liklihood will never even play regularly in the NHl in return for a 30 goal scorer.
You might as well never even trade him.

Ziggy Stardust 11-25-2003 03:40 PM

Quote:

No kidding . Thats a joke its so bad.
Your getting crap that in all liklihood will never even play regularly in the NHl in return for a 30 goal scorer.
You might as well never even trade him.

Don't you think that statement is a bit premature? You haven't even seen Corey Perry play and he is playing in the juniors and he's still very young.

It isn't much of a return but you have no clue as to whether or not he will regularly play in the NHL.

Lanny MacDonald* 11-25-2003 03:46 PM

Well, that sure does sound like the return that someone predicted a while a go, and got hammer for by the Oiler faithful. That sounds about the right return for an over-paid, small, self centered, one dimensional, malcontent forward.

:D

Sammy* 11-25-2003 03:49 PM

Quote:

Don't you think that statement is a bit premature? You haven't even seen Corey Perry play and he is playing in the juniors and he's still very young.

It isn't much of a return but you have no clue as to whether or not he will regularly play in the NHL.

Statistically, it is likely he is a piece of crap that will never ever play regularly in the NHL.
History shows that the liklihood ofs a late 1st rounder ever playing regularly in the NHL, never mind make an impact, is very small.

willie 11-25-2003 03:49 PM

Quote:

Saying Corey Perry "in all likelehood" will never play in the NHL is rather ignorant. While there are no gurantees, Corey Perry is certainly more likely to make it to the NHL than he is to not make it.

Perry is a very good prospect who has Ryan Smyth type upside. While that isn't a terrific package for Comrie, Comrie isn't going to exactly bring back a terrific return either. (for a variety of reasons that have been beaten to death)

willie 11-25-2003 03:54 PM

Quote:

Statistically, it is likely he is a piece of crap that will never ever play regularly in the NHL.
History shows that the liklihood ofs a late 1st rounder ever playing regularly in the NHL, never mind make an impact, is very small.

Terrible, terrible logic.

First off, you are assuming that every draft is equal in talent meaning that a late first rounder in a poor draft has the same chance of making it as a late first rounder in a terrific draft.

Secondly, the draft is over. Now you look at how a player is progressing and evaluate each player from an individual perspective.

And what I see in Corey Perry is a 6'3 winger who plays with a Ryan Smyth kind of edge, is averaging 2 ppg, and is leading the OHL in scoring as an 18 year old.

But 'statistically' he is likely a piece of crap who will never play regularly in the NHL. :rolly:

kacz 11-25-2003 04:16 PM

The return for Comrie isn't great, I think that Lowe could shop around some more and get better offers from other teams...

Would Dave Taylor consider dealing Grebeshkov in exchange for Comrie, or is he off the block for good?

Sammy* 11-25-2003 04:25 PM

Quote:

Terrible, terrible logic.

First off, you are assuming that every draft is equal in talent meaning that a late first rounder in a poor draft has the same chance of making it as a late first rounder in a terrific draft.

Secondly, the draft is over. Now you look at how a player is progressing and evaluate each player from an individual perspective.

And what I see in Corey Perry is a 6'3 winger who plays with a Ryan Smyth kind of edge, is averaging 2 ppg, and is leading the OHL in scoring as an 18 year old.

But 'statistically' he is likely a piece of crap who will never play regularly in the NHL. :rolly:

You were probably one of those guys who were stroikin over the thoughts of luminaries such as Storr, AkiBerg,Green, Cisar,Rosa, maclean, Zultek,Biron...
Yep, if I had to guess, you would be one of those guys who thought each of the aformentioned was a sure thing & you thought for sure that they were going to be world beaters for the Kings & you wouldnt trade em for somebody who had actually done something.

Lanny MacDonald* 11-25-2003 04:26 PM

Quote:

While there are no gurantees, Corey Perry is certainly more likely to make it to the NHL than he is to not make it.

Well that is completely and totally incorrect. The odds of a player developing into an NHL player after being drafted aren't great to begin with. The odds are not stacked in his favor at all. In the past few years the odds of second rounders (calling Perry a second rounder based on how late he was drafted in the opening round and as a comparison for when the league was less than 30 teams) ending up in the NHL have looked like this:

1995: 16% (5 played more than 164 games, two full seasons)
1996: 20% (6 played more than 133 games, a season and a half)
1997: 16% (5 played more than 82 games, a full season)
1998: 23% (7 played more than 60 games, three quarters of a season)
1999: 10% (3 played more than 41 games, half a season)
2000: 13% (4 played more than 20 games, one quarter season)

As you can see, even with very limited expectations, not many players turn into NHL calibre players and catch on with what can be considered a full time role. Prospects are a role of the dice. The deeper you go in the draft, the worse they odds of success become.

Sammy* 11-25-2003 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanny MacDonald
Well that is completely and totally incorrect. The odds of a player developing into an NHL player after being drafted aren't great to begin with. The odds are not stacked in his favor at all. In the past few years the odds of second rounders (calling Perry a second rounder based on how late he was drafted in the opening round and as a comparison for when the league was less than 30 teams) ending up in the NHL have looked like this:

1995: 16% (5 played more than 164 games, two full seasons)
1996: 20% (6 played more than 133 games, a season and a half)
1997: 16% (5 played more than 82 games, a full season)
1998: 23% (7 played more than 60 games, three quarters of a season)
1999: 10% (3 played more than 41 games, half a season)
2000: 13% (4 played more than 20 games, one quarter season)

As you can see, even with very limited expectations, not many players turn into NHL calibre players and catch on with what can be considered a full time role. Prospects are a role of the dice. The deeper you go in the draft, the worse they odds of success become.

Thanks Lanny. It never ceases to amaze how fans always think their prospects will actually do something in the NHL.It is highly unlikely.
Furthurmore, the odds of a late 1st rounder making any kind of an impact in the NHL (by impact, I mean over guys like Moreau) besides been an interchangable/replacable part, is very, very small.

leafaholix* 11-25-2003 04:44 PM

Corey Perry doesn't strike me as an Oilers type player.

His skating is average... if even that.

I don't see this trade happening... but I also can't see the Oil getting either one of Brown, Grebeshkov, Lupul, or Chistov for Comrie.

190Octane 11-25-2003 05:01 PM

Now I have a question for you.. how many of those players drafted in the 2nd round were leading their leagues in scoring putting up 2 points a game?

Comrie isn't worth a blue chip prospect like Lupul or Chistov. Also Sammy, you commented on the likelihood of first rounders playing in the NHL. The Ducks first rounders in their history are:

1. Paul Kariya
2. Oleg Tverdovsky
3. Chad Kilger
4. Ruslan Salei
5. Michael Holmqvist
6. Vitaly Vishnevsky
7. Alexei Smirnov
8. Stan Chistov
9. Joffrey Lupul
10. Ryan Getzlaf
11. Corey Perry

The only players on this list right now not in the NHL are Tverdovsky, Holmqvist, Smirnov, Getzlaf and Perry.

-We all know about Tverdovsky.
-Holmqvist has 6 goals and 6 assists in 16 games in Cincy.
-Smirnov has 4 goals and 4 assists in 10 games in Cincy and is only 21.
-Getzlaf is a solid two-way player who had a good pre-season for the Ducks and almost made the team out of camp. He has 8 goals and 16 assists in 18 games for Calgary in the WHL.
-Perry has 17 goals and 26 assists in 43 games for London in the OHL.

The Ducks are pretty decent with first rounders and I think that the Oil won't get much more than Perry and a 2nd for Comrie. In my opinion, the longer that Comrie doesn't play, the less that Lowe is going to get for him.

John Flyers Fan 11-25-2003 05:19 PM

Quote:

Thanks Lanny. It never ceases to amaze how fans always think their prospects will actually do something in the NHL.It is highly unlikely.
Furthurmore, the odds of a late 1st rounder making any kind of an impact in the NHL (by impact, I mean over guys like Moreau) besides been an interchangable/replacable part, is very, very small.

Perry was picked 28th overall.

Here is a list of players picked between 26-30 from 1990-2000

Chris Simon
Ziggy Palffy
Sandis Ozolinsh
Boris Mironov
Shean Donovan
Dan Cloutier
Rhett Warrener
Stan Neckar
Jan Hlavac
Dan LaCouture
Ben Clymer
Mike Van Ryn
Scott Gomez
Jonathan Cheechoo
Marin Havlat
Justin Williams

Sammy* 11-25-2003 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vishinator05
Now I have a question for you.. how many of those players drafted in the 2nd round were leading their leagues in scoring putting up 2 points a game?

Comrie isn't worth a blue chip prospect like Lupul or Chistov. Also Sammy, you commented on the likelihood of first rounders playing in the NHL. The Ducks first rounders in their history are:

1. Paul Kariya
2. Oleg Tverdovsky
3. Chad Kilger
4. Ruslan Salei
5. Michael Holmqvist
6. Vitaly Vishnevsky
7. Alexei Smirnov
8. Stan Chistov
9. Joffrey Lupul
10. Ryan Getzlaf
11. Corey Perry

The only players on this list right now not in the NHL are Tverdovsky, Holmqvist, Smirnov, Getzlaf and Perry.

-We all know about Tverdovsky.
-Holmqvist has 6 goals and 6 assists in 16 games in Cincy.
-Smirnov has 4 goals and 4 assists in 10 games in Cincy and is only 21.
-Getzlaf is a solid two-way player who had a good pre-season for the Ducks and almost made the team out of camp. He has 8 goals and 16 assists in 18 games for Calgary in the WHL.
-Perry has 17 goals and 26 assists in 43 games for London in the OHL.

The Ducks are pretty decent with first rounders and I think that the Oil won't get much more than Perry and a 2nd for Comrie. In my opinion, the longer that Comrie doesn't play, the less that Lowe is going to get for him.

Its like talking to a wall when talking to fans about their prospects.
Tverdosky & Kariya were very high draft picks. Salei was a high draft pick & has turned out to be a journeyman.Kilger, high draft pick, crap.
Holmqvist, who knows but certainly is far from showing he will be a productive NHL'r. Vishnevski, servicable player, never has lived near up to his high draft position.,Smirnov, Getzlaf, Lupul,Perry, who knows but all are very far from a sure thing.
Frankly, if we are talking about how great Perry will be, you we should probably talk aboutTsuglin,Daviddson, Wesenberg,Cullen, Balmo,Peat,Popovic. You were probably really high on them too.