HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Sergei K. Update (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=310171)

onemorecup* 11-09-2006 07:29 AM

Sergei K. Update

I was at the Ice Dogs London game last night, here is my report .

Pros-

above average speed, and good hockey skills. Looks bigger than his 5`11" listing.
Has definite skills on the power play , see the play well , good shot .

Cons -

a lazy defender, he got beat many times along the boards , but was unwilling to work to get the puck , and floated most of the night . He got pushed around the boards , and didn`t look interested in some plays. His hands are good , not great .

Overall -

he is clearly a notch below his brother Andrei , in terms of top end speed, quickness, puck control, and smarts . Folks Andrei has an extra gear he doesn`t have. I don`t see him in our plans moving forward , he is a soft one dimensional
offensive player who may not compete everynight , and is not a top 2 line player in my opinion. His defensive problems and lack of strength , will prevent him from being
a regular in the NHL.

Next up a Hamilton report this weekend at the ACC.

Blades 0f Steel 11-09-2006 08:07 AM

Thanks for the update.

It's a bit early to write off Sergei, don't you think? He's still doing much better than what was expected when he was drafted. It's ironic that you compare him to his older brother and say he doesn't have what it takes, because there's no guaranteeing Andrei has what it takes either.

JeromeHP 11-09-2006 08:25 AM

More and more people seems down on this kid this year

Whitesnake 11-09-2006 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeman (Post 7039521)

Pros-

above average speed, and good hockey skills. Looks bigger than his 5`11" listing.

Cons -

a lazy defender, he got beat many times along the boards , but was unwilling to work to get the puck , and floated most of the night . He got pushed around the boards , and didn`t look interested in some plays. His hands are good , not great .

Overall -

he is clearly a notch below his brother Andrei , in terms of top end speed, quickness, puck control, and smarts . Folks Andrei has an extra gear he doesn`t have. I don`t see him in our plans moving forward , he is a soft one dimensional
offensive player who may not compete everynight , and is not a top 2 line player in my opinion. His defensive problems and lack of strength , will prevent him from being
a regular in the NHL.

And then I saw some games when he was giving punishing bodychecks, winning most of his 1 on 1 battles.....but then I saw him at the development camp being so lazy....except on the last day where he was one of the best players.....Let's be careful with our projections based on lazyness for Junior players.....Same was said and more about Steve Bernier, poor work ethic and so on.....Could be true, could not be, I prefer, at that stage seeing that the abilities are there and then develop the guy by showing him what to do to reach extra levels. But again, if a kid already has great work ethic, like Higgins had, you just know at the time that he was and is going to be something different. With the others, you don't know. I think that's the key in development, this is the difference where you make or don't make it....Not saying Kosty Jr. will be a star, I don't know that, but what you've described in a lot of ways resembles a lot to.....Ben Maxwell....but then we kinda of all agree he's going to be great some day....But again, they're not playing the same kind of game at all, more power game for Kosty, more finesse for Maxie......

Tons of time to develop though for all of our kids, but there's definately some talent over there.

The n00b King * 11-09-2006 08:27 AM

well considering that this is still junior, i hope nobody expects this kid to play like an NHL pro yet.

Eventually, when he moves up in the AHL, he'll learn how to play harder.

It's like writing off Esposito cuz he's too skinny...

boundless 11-09-2006 08:31 AM

could the same problem not be affecting both brothers?

Andrei surely wanted to be in the NHL this year and isn't. Has his play been what we expected it to be in the AHL? No, but maybe he's just down on himself and needs a little motivation. Maybe it'll come via a call-up this weekend.

Sergei expressed that he wanted to be in the AHL this year and that didn't happen either. Maybe he's lacking a little motivation too.

Maybe they're both lacking a little interest in where they are playing right now. Noone's fault but their own, but they're human and it happens.

Give em some time I say before you write them off.

THEREW 11-09-2006 10:41 AM

THANKS FOR THE INFOS...now...with since someone could be called up in the next few days...

could you make some pros and cons on A. Kostitsyn, Lapierre and Chipchura...

That would be great to know...

thanks

habitue* 11-09-2006 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeman (Post 7039521)

Pros-

Cons -

Overall -

a regular in the NHL.

Wow ! And we have a pair of those. Some pro teams in Russia will be happy to have them in a near future.