HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Koivu #4 in top 10 favorite current captains (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=310203)

flappuck 11-09-2006 10:08 AM

Koivu #4 in top 10 favorite current captains

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=p...ticleid=282595

4. Saku Koivu, Montreal -- Like Sundin, Koivu has the expectations of a passionate and knowledgeable fan base to live up to in Montreal. If possible, Koivu actually has more stress placed upon him than even Sundin. Yet this unflappable Finn has handled the position with nothing but grace since assuming the head role in 1999. This is a man that has quietly returned from cancer and a near career-ending eye injury since becoming captain. His courage, it seems, knows no limits and makes him ideal to continue his franchise’s proud legacy of elite leaders.

Funny how Koivu gets respect everywhere except in Montreal. :dunno:

AD 11-09-2006 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tout ptit (Post 7040089)
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=p...ticleid=282595

4. Saku Koivu, Montreal -- Like Sundin, Koivu has the expectations of a passionate and knowledgeable fan base to live up to in Montreal. If possible, Koivu actually has more stress placed upon him than even Sundin. Yet this unflappable Finn has handled the position with nothing but grace since assuming the head role in 1999. This is a man that has quietly returned from cancer and a near career-ending eye injury since becoming captain. His courage, it seems, knows no limits and makes him ideal to continue his franchise’s proud legacy of elite leaders.

Funny how Koivu gets respect everywhere except in Montreal. :dunno:

I think if you would poll most Montrealers, Koivu would be their favourite player.

Only a minority disike him.

David_99 11-09-2006 10:23 AM

I can't believe I'm saying this but... Sundin at 7th seems a little low. Without him that team has no leadership what-so-ever.

*sigh* Now I'm going to go take a shower.

Edit: You know what, I'm gonna go ahead and pull a Dagenais and retract my statement. He's good where he is.

Habs 4 Life 11-09-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AymanD (Post 7040104)
I think if you would poll most Montrealers, Koivu would be their favourite player.

Only a minority disike him.

Latendresse if you do this poll on TQS:biglaugh:

But he his mine thats 4 sure:yo:

Guy Caballero 11-09-2006 10:27 AM

Alfie denied. Yikes.

22SteveBegin22 11-09-2006 10:33 AM

Did someone get confused and think it was an "Ugliest NHL Captain" ranking when they put Brind'amour at #1?

AD 11-09-2006 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22 (Post 7040274)
Did someone get confused and think it was an "Ugliest NHL Captain" ranking when they put Brind'amour at #1?

Then Saku and Sakic would be fighting for #1.

*Sigh* They're do dreeaaaaamy... :dainty:

e-e 11-09-2006 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David_99 (Post 7040194)
I can't believe I'm saying this but... Sundin at 7th seems a little low. Without him that team has no leadership what-so-ever.

*sigh* Now I'm going to go take a shower.

Edit: You know what, I'm gonna go ahead and pull a Dagenais and retract my statement. He's good where he is.

there's nothing wrong with admitting that sundin (as much as we hate him:D ) is a great player and great captain.

Le Tricolore 11-09-2006 11:03 AM

Koivu rules the world.

CoupeStanley 11-09-2006 11:12 AM

Well I dont think a lot of people is hating Koivu..

There's some question concerning his status as a #1 center, which is understandable...
As much as I like Koivu, It's not especially efficient to build your team around someone who's on the IR list that much often...

If you could somehow give him a 2nd center & captain job, he would be at this best place to be effective and lead the habs to the Stanley Cup and nobody would question his role in the team.

Judge Sauer* 11-09-2006 11:26 AM

Nice, at Bizarro #4

JeromeHP 11-09-2006 11:33 AM

Im wondering what michel bergeron has to say about it

SenorDingDong 11-09-2006 11:41 AM

Sundin at #7 is beyond rediculous. Easily in top 3.

hab 11-09-2006 12:21 PM

I hate the leafs, but Sundin is easily the best thing those poor fans have :dunno:

habitue* 11-09-2006 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markov79fan (Post 7040729)

Why ? You are respecting his opinion now ?;)

terreur 11-09-2006 12:32 PM

For the past five years... Sundin > the Leafs.

I would also put him in the top 3 for Captains

beowulf 11-09-2006 12:40 PM

Nice to see some respect for Captain K. Sundin should be a little higher for sure, the way he came in and made people mostly forget about Wendel Clark was great.

habfan4 11-09-2006 01:03 PM

IMO The role/effect/importance of the modern day captain is overstated.

A guy like Koivu (along with others) leads by example, which has a net positive effect on the team. However, does anyone think he has more of an impact than the coaching staff/management (three of which are former Hab captains)?

beowulf 11-09-2006 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habfan4 (Post 7041509)

A guy like Koivu (along with others) leads by example, which has a net positive effect on the team. However, does anyone think he has more of an impact than the coaching staff/management (three of which are former Hab captains)?

To a certain extend on the ice during the game he can. Also off the ice he is the guy that can rally the guys together, keep things close by getting the guys to hang-out etc.

Ross MacLochness 11-09-2006 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terreur (Post 7041208)
For the past five years... Sundin > the Leafs.

True, but that doesn't nessecarily make him a great captain. Everyone knows how skilled and clutch he is, no one is going to dispute that.

But over the years in Toronto, even though it was extreme, there have been many discussions over whether or not Sundin should give up his captaincy. Obvioulsy not in the last little while, because he's emerged into a fine leader, but I think around #7 is where he should be.

Mad Habber 11-09-2006 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markov79fan (Post 7040729)

Let's be sure of one thing here. Mike Ribiero is Montreal's best player.

Well I guess he would probably pick another local boy now. Or maybe just tell us that Bouillon is Mtl best D.

Mad Habber 11-09-2006 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beowulf (Post 7041277)
Nice to see some respect for Captain K. Sundin should be a little higher for sure, the way he came in and made people mostly forget about Wendel Clark was great.

Of course, this list is all based on personal opinion. I think Koivu can easily slip up or down on the list and so can anyone else. Now that Stevie Y is retired, the top guy in my books is Sakic. Brind'Amour would still be in the top somewhere, but his latest accomplishments are recently ingrained in our memories.

Myself I would never put Nordstrom on the list because basically, we never see him. So I couldn't really be faulted for an omission there.

habitue* 11-09-2006 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habfan4 (Post 7041509)

Nowadays captains (as well as coaches) are different than those of the past generations. I think Yzerman, Messier, Carbonneau as well as Brind'amour and Sakic were/are the last captains of the old era. If you consider Koivu, Sundin, Naslund, Alfredson as new generation style of captains, they are doing fine. If you compare them with the old ones, they don't measure up.

Teufelsdreck 11-09-2006 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Habber (Post 7041953)
Let's be sure of one thing here. Mike Ribiero is Montreal's best player.

Well I guess he would probably pick another local boy now. Or maybe just tell us that Bouillon is Mtl best D.

Bergeron bases his opinion on what he sees. Unfortunately, 80-90% of Hab players are only a blur or are invisible to him at all times. He can't see them but he knows they're there because their names are listed in the program and occasionally are announced over the PA system.

Roo 11-09-2006 02:01 PM

Sundin should be higher, top 3 i think as well. I like Saku @ #4, im shocked by how he's put down by some Habs fans sometimes, he's a great player and leader.

Also, i think Sakic should be #1. Yes, Brind'Amour is a great captain, but he's not better than Sakic IMO.