HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Sharpening skates (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=310522)

Phoenix 11-10-2006 02:19 AM

Sharpening skates

Um, how often do you guys sharpen your skates? I know it depends on how much you use them, but say what would you expect for me....I skate on average once to twice a week for a couple hours each, at least most of which i'm actually practising or doing drills not just lazily skating. :):blush:

I uh, haven't exactly sharpened them since the beginning of the year even though I know they're blunt, but after a terrible night trying to negotiate curves I'm putting them in this weekend. And some guy next to me thought he was bad cos he hadnt done it for 4 months. ;P:confused:

Jacob 11-10-2006 07:09 AM

You should be doing it at least once a month.

sc37 11-10-2006 10:24 AM

For me personally, I would say I do it every other month. This is after I found a good sharpener...before that it was more like every 3 weeks. I'm on the ice once to twice a week like you. But I get a really shallow hollow-- usually 5/8" or so, it'll last a bit longer. I learned to skate with really crappy sharpenings too so I'm used to having dull blades. I'm a lightweight guy too so I'm just used to it, and if I can still do decent turns I'm ok. But I also take a one of those stones and go on my blades after every session to help keep the edge a bit better. I've had a teammate who sharpened his skates twice in the 3 years he's owned them, and teammates who sharpen every other game it seems, so it's up to you and how you feel.

Ti-girl 11-10-2006 10:30 AM

I get mine done usually once every 2-3 weeks depending on how many games I play.

Heat McManus 11-10-2006 11:30 AM

10-15 hours of skating. Also depends on how hard the ice is.

FLYLine24 11-10-2006 11:48 AM

After about every 10-12 games/practices...with reffing though and my adult leagues that comes to about every 2-3 weeks. Thankfully I'm good friends with the guy who runs the pro shop so he does them for free for me because it would come out to over $150 a year on shake sharpening.

A few years ago I would only get them done like once or twice a YEAR....but I noticed the duller your skates...the more times you fall in that damn rut in the ice.

Kardi 11-10-2006 12:16 PM

every 3-5 games for me, the ice i play on is pretty poo.. if you live in the toronto area the best skate sharpener in town works at miliken mills if you want your skates done..

Doctor Hook 11-10-2006 12:36 PM

With the amount you skate (which is similiar to me) I'd go once a month, but if you like em real sharp, then 2x a month. But it depends on what you like...

Hugh Madbrough 11-10-2006 12:46 PM

I have mine sharpened every 5 games or so.

Heat McManus 11-10-2006 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 7053248)
After about every 10-12 games/practices...with reffing though and my adult leagues that comes to about every 2-3 weeks. Thankfully I'm good friends with the guy who runs the pro shop so he does them for free for me because it would come out to over $150 a year on shake sharpening.

A few years ago I would only get them done like once or twice a YEAR....but I noticed the duller your skates...the more times you fall in that damn rut in the ice.

Which pro shop?

sc37 11-10-2006 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos (Post 7055244)
Which pro shop?

Totally off-topic...but noticed your sreenname. Finally know who Vakar Lajos is:D

Heat McManus 11-11-2006 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc37 (Post 7055684)
Totally off-topic...but noticed your sreenname. Finally know who Vakar Lajos is:D

It's a good story. I first heard about him in Dave Bidini's book "Tropic of Hockey" (EXCELLENT READ!!)

mac-sniper 11-11-2006 11:37 AM

t blades all the way, get new ones after 25-30 hours.

sc37 11-11-2006 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos (Post 7057369)
It's a good story. I first heard about him in Dave Bidini's book "Tropic of Hockey" (EXCELLENT READ!!)

Yup, that's what I just finished!

FLYLine24 11-16-2006 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos (Post 7055244)
Which pro shop?

Its a pro shop inside a rink near me. Its in Mt. Vernon.

the_pen_is_mightier 11-20-2006 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac-sniper (Post 7057508)
t blades all the way, get new ones after 25-30 hours.

Agreed.

No more having to waste time/money getting your blades rockered.
The system is usually lighter in weight.
You pick your blade length and hollow, which is EXACT each time (unlike sharpening).
You can change them yourself.
If you're into the looks, there are many colors to pick from.
And for the cost of a new set, you'd be in tough to squeeze out the same amount in sharpenings.
Lighter, cost-effective, time saving, and more reliable.

Only issue that I have with them is that they're a bit louder.

EazyB97 11-20-2006 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_pen_is_mightier (Post 7121029)
Agreed.

No more having to waste time/money getting your blades rockered.
The system is usually lighter in weight.
You pick your blade length and hollow, which is EXACT each time (unlike sharpening).
You can change them yourself.
If you're into the looks, there are many colors to pick from.
And for the cost of a new set, you'd be in tough to squeeze out the same amount in sharpenings.
Lighter, cost-effective, time saving, and more reliable.

Only issue that I have with them is that they're a bit louder.

They aren't really that consistent. I had a few issues with actual length and hollow vs. claimed length and hollow.