HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   help promote the well-being of the NHL (savehockey.com) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=31087)

dulzhok 11-25-2003 06:44 PM

help promote the well-being of the NHL (savehockey.com)

Fellow NHL followers, http://www.savehockey.com opened up today. It's purpose is to provide a place for fans to voice their opinion, objectively educate fans about labor issues, and promote the well-being of the NHL. Obviously, many fans are greatly concerned about the stability of the NHL. Please don't take this as a advertisement. This is no business; it's a place to promote the well-being of the NHL.

Please go check out the information, and if you feel compelled, sign the petition.

Also, if you agree with savehockey.com's purpose, please help get the word out to others, especially via internet forums that you use. Thank you for your help.

Enoch 11-25-2003 08:08 PM

Great job man!

Basher 11-25-2003 09:41 PM

Great idea, I support it.

barrytrotzsneck 11-26-2003 12:16 AM

i hope everyone takes the time to look at this.

V for Voodoo 11-26-2003 12:18 AM

Quote:

If the current economic catastrophe is not fixed, the NHL will continue towards a state of disaster
Care to elaborate?
What's wrong with the current CBA, how do you suggest it be 'fixed'?

st_roland 11-26-2003 05:43 AM

I really like the idea, but I don't think it'll make much difference. An idea that might make an impact would be a massive, massive online mailing list of fans in all NHL cities. The purpose would be to have people agree to not attend a game on a certain night, or to attend games and hold signs regarding the CBA or boo all night long. We'd notify owners ahead of time that this is an organized event so they know that fans have a say in this too. Fans are just as big a part of hockey as the players and owners, and they have to realize this.

edit-BTW, I know this is an extremely negative step to take in the middle of a season almost all of us are enjoying, but if we don't make a statement now, when will we?

dulzhok 11-26-2003 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
Care to elaborate?
What's wrong with the current CBA, how do you suggest it be 'fixed'?

In short, the NHL is a in financial mess. The ďdisasterĒ is that teams have already filled for bankruptcy, and many more arenít from it. Teams are trading away (or giving away) their star players because they canít afford the current inflated market value. Many teams just canít compete in the current economic climate. They are holding on by a thread waiting for a CBA that forces stability in the league.

Not to mention the popularity of the sport is no where near that of the other 3, yet the players are getting paid like it. ESPN cutting a huge portion of NHL games is evidence of the sportís popularity. Itís almost a guarantee that the NHL wonít get anywhere near their current TV contract when their contract runs out this year. When that contract was implemented, the average player salary was 600,000. The average is now 1.7 million. Youíd think that if player salaries have tripled, the sportís popularity would have gained some popularity. Not so. Sure, revenues have increased, but thatís more a product of the skyrocketing ticketing prices and additional revenue from new expansion teams. Fans will only put up with skyrocketing ticket prices for so long, and many have already said to ďto hell with it.Ē While expansion teams will provide some revenue at the early stages, itís only a quick fix to generate additional revenue. If the league wasnít to prosper, itís all but evident that there needs to be a change.

Iím not going to propose how to change it. Sure, I have some ideas, but Iím not an expert sports economic strategist. Iíll leave that up to the parties involved in the negotiation. The only thing Iím sure of is that the NHL is already walking on thin ice, and if there is a labor stoppage, that ice will likely break.

punchy1 11-26-2003 08:27 AM

And the mess rests solely at the feet of Gary Betteman. I reckon anyways.

dulzhok 11-26-2003 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punchy1
And the mess rests solely at the feet of Gary Betteman. I reckon anyways.

He deserves some of the blame, but it's a shared blame. He wasn't the only guy that had a say in the last CBA.

The massive-spending owners are probably the biggest reason why players salaries are so inflated right now.