HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Tampa Bay Lightning (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Is Holmqvist the new #1? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=311291)

The Overseer* 11-13-2006 11:55 AM

Is Holmqvist the new #1?

Noticed from afar that Denis hasn't beenn playing during the bolts' current streak. Has he been supplanted by Holmqvist, or is something else going on?

mikefavata 11-13-2006 12:34 PM

As a non-Lightning fan who has to see them 8 times a year. I think Holmqvist could be their #1, all he has to do is keep playing better than Denis. Tortorella usually gives icetime and starts based on a players work and results rather than name.

So yea, if Holmqvist keeps playing well and outplays Denis than I think he could be their starter or at least force it to a 50/50 split between the two.

Hockeyfan02 11-13-2006 02:49 PM

Holmqvist is the hot hand right now. He isn't the #1. It's similar to Atlanta starting Hedberg a few games in a row when he won some games for them.

shaner89 11-13-2006 03:05 PM

Keep playing Holmqvist. The team plays better infront of him and hes hot right now. Denis should ride the pine anyway, hes not a number 1

vcx* 11-13-2006 03:27 PM

Denis is the #1 goaltender. Holmqvist is just having a few hot games in a row right now and tampa would be stupid to sit him at the moment, thats what coaches do, if he were to play Denis when Holmqvist was hot, he'd be one dumb coach.

No-Twitch Tabitha 11-14-2006 05:48 PM

Look at the bitter Leaf. Go poison another forum.

Anyway, Denis is still the #1, but Torts plays whomever is playing well at the time.

I recall a Denis interview during a Sunsports telecast where Denis' record (most minutes played '03-'04) was mentioned and Denis replied that he's going to splitting the load more evenly with JH.

OptimismRestrainer 11-14-2006 07:01 PM

Ah..............what would life during hockey season in the Bay area be without a good old fashioned goaltender controversy?

We can call Denis the number 1 all we want because that's what we were told. But right now I'd say Homer is the number 1 and to be quite honest about it he is playing like one. I'm starting to wonder if this is another "play him till he loses" deal. Names and money mean nothing to Torts, especially concerning goalies. If Homer keeps winning then Homer should keep playing. I think he has cast quite a few doubters aside with this current steak and my money would be on him getting another start tomorrow night when the Habs are in town.

gfel2795 11-17-2006 08:28 AM

How about tonight v. the Isles at home??

Famous Flames 11-17-2006 11:38 PM

Disinterested opinion watching the last few games on Center Ice -- Holmqvist needs to be starting -- Denis riding the pine.

argonzar 11-18-2006 05:54 AM

Holmqvist has the capacity to be a starting goaltender in the NHL. In my humble opinion Holmqvist is the best swedish goaltender (not saying much I know). Maybe he's just on a winning streak, i don't know. But the last time that I remember he had one, Brynas won the SEL :)

(Sorry I can't spell)

OptimismRestrainer 11-18-2006 07:32 AM

But what we are forgetting here is that minus a couple of bad games Denis has been very solid in goal. The Habs won the other night because Huet was incredible, not because Marc was bad. He got no goal support because Huet was so good. Sometimes you just run into a very hot goaltender. The Habs loss had more to do with poor PK than anything else. I think calling for Marc's head at this point is a bit premature.

We actually have a really good situation in Tampa as far as goaltenders. Denis was brought in to be the guy and we were not sure (coaching staff included) if Holmqvist would be able to handle the NHL game. What the current streak that Homer is on has shown that we have two guys that we can go to on any night. That is an awesome situation for us right now. I don't think anyone feels not confident with Denis in net, but they sure look more confident with Homer in there. Believe me, it is a much better situation than we had all of last season with two guys that couldn't stop volleyballs. Homer let in a softie last night but after that it looked like he was picking asprins out of the air.

CaptBrannigan 11-18-2006 10:30 AM

I'll take 7 straight denied shootout chances, no matter how they come.

SChan* 11-18-2006 10:22 PM

I think Holmqvist is a winner and a very underrated goalie. He has a AHL championchip, a SEL championchip and a World Championchip. I believe this guy could very well get the #1 job if he gets the chance.

Benji Frank 11-19-2006 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by argonzar (Post 7100466)
Holmqvist has the capacity to be a starting goaltender in the NHL. In my humble opinion Holmqvist is the best swedish goaltender (not saying much I know). Maybe he's just on a winning streak, i don't know. But the last time that I remember he had one, Brynas won the SEL :)

(Sorry I can't spell)

Ummmm ... there's this guy in New York.......

Butchered 11-19-2006 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benji Frank (Post 7112330)
Ummmm ... there's this guy in New York.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by argonzar (Post 7100466)
In my humble opinion Holmqvist is the best swedish goaltender

Benji Frank 11-20-2006 09:31 AM

I was referring more to the "not saying much" part of his post ...

A-Train in Motion 11-20-2006 12:16 PM

According to this acticle, written by Eklund (even though most of the time he is wrong), he says that the Lightning are shopping Denis meaning that Holmqvist is the #1

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=1

Kristia 11-20-2006 02:09 PM

Eklund :shakehead

Hockeyfan02 11-20-2006 02:15 PM

More like Eklund :biglaugh: . Because the guy is a joke.

NickHanson 11-20-2006 04:22 PM

A. Who the hell is this "Eklund"?
B. Where does he get his rumors? Can anyone just email him and spout garbage? :shakehead

Tokala 11-20-2006 04:51 PM

Save yourself the trouble with Eklund. Here's Christodero's opinion about him:
Quote:

Do yourself a favor and don't believe anything you read on sites that "speculate.'' These guys have little or no idea what is going on with a specific team. Do you really think some guy sitting behind a desk somewhere knows the nuances of what is going on with the Lightning? And doesn't it tell you, in the case of any of these supposed trades, that the media in those cities have not written anything about them. No secret is that deep, and if it is, a guy on a web site is not going to report it first.

missK 11-20-2006 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickHanson (Post 7120852)
B. Where does he get his rumors? Can anyone just email him and spout garbage? :shakehead

Yes, as evident last season when a Tampa fan sent him an email about a ficticious trade rumor that made it to his blog and even at some media outlets.

Sn8k 11-21-2006 01:52 PM

Now you why we called Marc Mr. softy when it gose bad it's all over. I was hoping this would change but I guess not. He was at his best when being pushed but that dose not look to be the case for you guys.

No-Twitch Tabitha 11-22-2006 10:23 AM

Hockeybuzz is spurious AT BEST. That is the site that you read when you need a good laugh. Eklund is a moron who is drunk with the popularity that comes with 3 people reading your website.

Hey, Sn8k, I always thought we meant something different by that. ;)
Seriously, I think that if Homer keeps getting more time between the pipes, MD will start to be pushed.

kurt 11-22-2006 11:50 AM

Who gets the nod tonight?