HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Im starting to hate Kovalev (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=312514)

NewHabsEra* 11-17-2006 09:46 AM

Im starting to hate Kovalev

This guy hurt the team at the moment, is it possible to look more lazzy on the ice???

How can you ask the kids to play with intensity inside the system when one of the most respected vet in the team, your 2nd highest paid player, do exactly the opposite tell me?? Kovy actually does everything at slow speed, his legs arent moving, he keeps the puck too long, trying to deke everyone until he loses it, does risky moves, risky passes in the defensive and neutral zone.. ********...

I understand the guy isnt healthy but at some point you have to understand you hurt the team more than you help... His linemates just cant do anything with this guy, when they are giving Kovy an option to pass them the puck, they never get it, they are at the point where they are watching him doing his circus show..

I strongly suggest Kovy to rest his knee until its 100% healthy cause at the moment Carbo just cant make his team playing the way he wants on a regular basis... I hope Carbo will have the bullets to sit Kovy for a couple of games, you just cant be bigger than the team ..

Am I the only one who think Kovy is a cancer at the moment??

KaptainKourage* 11-17-2006 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewHabsArea (Post 7093340)
This guy hurt the team at the moment, is it possible to look more lazzy on the ice???

Wow. Wait a sec. Kovalev DO NOT look lazy. He try, hard. Actually, he try more right now that he try when he perform. He is just injured, his knee is hurting him. That all.

Quote:

I hope. Cuz he is not.

Gros Bill 11-17-2006 09:57 AM

Quote:

How can you ask the kids to play with intensity inside the system when one of the most respected vet in the team, your 2nd highest paid player, do exactly the opposite tell me?? Kovy actually does everything at slow speed, his legs arent moving, he keeps the puck too long, trying to deke everyone until he loses it, does risky moves, risky passes in the defensive and neutral zone.. ********...

I understand the guy isnt healthy but at some point you have to understand you hurt the team more than you help... His linemates just cant do anything with this guy, when they are giving Kovy an option to pass them the puck, they never get it, they are at the point where they are watching him doing his circus show..

I strongly suggest Kovy to rest his knee until its 100% healthy cause at the moment Carbo just cant make his team playing the way he wants on a regular basis... I hope Carbo will have the bullets to sit Kovy for a couple of games, you just cant be bigger than the team ..

Hate is such an ugly word. Kovy is playing hurt, at the moment. He's playing center, too, not really his position, though. Trying to help the team. Coach's decision to play him. How does that translate into being a "cancer"???

neopreneur 11-17-2006 10:15 AM

Kovy looked good last night, working his magic dangles which he wasn't doing for the last few games.

Last night:

Kovy: +1
Koivu: -4
Lats: -3
Ryder: -3

bayrider 11-17-2006 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gros Bill (Post 7093403)
Hate is such an ugly word. Kovy is playing hurt, at the moment. He's playing center, too, not really his position, though. Trying to help the team. Coach's decision to play him. How does that translate into being a "cancer"???

Because Kovalev puts himself before anyone else. He never passes, he always decides to dance through 4-5 players instead of making the logical pass. That's fine I guess, but how many time's has his stick handling between 4 opposition resulted in a goal? He always loses the puck at the end, or is forced to make a bad pass, or just never finishes. Think about it, watch him stick handle through everyone, when was the last time u actually saw him get close to the net with that? Never.

A lot of people are fascinated by his flash, but in reality, they don't see beyond that, and beyond that, there isnt much to show for.

Whitesnake 11-17-2006 10:20 AM

We do not have a consistant team 'cause 3 players out of 6 are known as being streaky players. And you have 2 rookies filling the other spots when Higgs is not in there.

You'll go as far as your top 6 goes, not as far as 1 player goes. Sammy is OK but do not blend well with Kovy.

Live Forever 11-17-2006 10:21 AM

As much as I "hate" the looks of where this thread may end up leading to, I don't believe that problem lies with Kovalev. It is nothing new to us fans that he takes a couple of nights off (3 out of 4 games), so when we lose by a landslide, you can't single him out as being the sole reason or excuse pertaining to the loss. At times, even when we win, his effort doesn't look convincing but there is no doubt that he is a money player when it comes to the playoffs. Does that excuse his lousy regular season performances? Probably not, but I believe the true problem right now for the Habs is that we are relying too much on our defensemen for goals.

The Habs take too many point shots, many of which never make it to the net and just result in blocked shots or turnovers and a rush leading the other way. Teams can set up a defensive coverage against our 2 point men because chances are, we're going to try and find a way to feed the puck back to our defense so they can blast in a shot. We should attempt to explore more facets of the offensive game to try and create offence. I don't know what happened to all our creativity because I haven't seen much thus far this season.

Another problem is that the defense is taking too long to start a rush. How many times have we seen our defenseman with the puck in back of the net waiting for a good moment to move the puck out, and before we now it he is just passing the puck back and forth with his other d-man before it ends up leading to a turnover. By the time they try to move the puck up the ice, our forwards are at a stand still position and don't have nearly enough speed to win battles in the neutral zone. Our first pass should be from d-man to forward, not d-man to d-man. In my opinion the problem doesn't lie on Kovalev but the fact that we're taking too long to start our rush. We can't expect one player to make miracles, but we should expect a collective effort from our team to try and straighten things out.

NewHabsEra* 11-17-2006 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neopreneur (Post 7093516)
Kovy looked good last night, working his magic dangles which he wasn't doing for the last few games.

Last night:

Kovy: +1
Koivu: -4
Lats: -3
Ryder: -3

I knew one would bring it up.. It doesnt reflect the reality... Kovalev was atrocious last night, his line has been outplayed big time all night, Kovy trying to deke everyone as usual, turning the puck over...

NewHabsEra* 11-17-2006 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaptainKourage (Post 7093371)
Wow. Wait a sec. Kovalev DO NOT look lazy. He try, hard. Actually, he try more right now that he try when he perform. He is just injured, his knee is hurting him. That all.

I hope. Cuz he is not.

What I was saying is that if the guy wasnt injured and was playing like he did last night, he would definitively look like the most lazzy professional athlete on earth.

In other words, he is injured and obviously hurts the team.

Slew Foots 11-17-2006 10:33 AM

I'm not going to lie, I've never been Kovalev's greatest fan. In fact, I'm one of his harshest critics...ask the guys I watch the games with. Regardless, I've always said that he's a crucial part of this team. No player is perfect, and sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.

Right now, we're seeing more bad than good, unfortunately. But there's no question he is our most talented player, and come playoff time, he has a tendency to "bring it". Don't kid yourselves, we have no other player in our lineup with his gamebreaking ability...a player capable of changing a game by himself.

We're going to need him if we have any chance of going far in the playoffs. In the playoffs, it's a much tighter game, a game where being good isn't good enough. You need to be great. Kovalev can be great, and simply for that reason, I am willing to put up with his frustrating play until April.

Lestriker 11-17-2006 10:33 AM

Quote:

Yes.

Gros Bill 11-17-2006 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayrider (Post 7093530)
Because Kovalev puts himself before anyone else. He never passes, he always decides to dance through 4-5 players instead of making the logical pass. That's fine I guess, but how many time's has his stick handling between 4 opposition resulted in a goal? He always loses the puck at the end, or is forced to make a bad pass, or just never finishes. Think about it, watch him stick handle through everyone, when was the last time u actually saw him get close to the net with that? Never.

A lot of people are fascinated by his flash, but in reality, they don't see beyond that, and beyond that, there isnt much to show for.

So, in your opinion, he's not a good hockey player, or rather he's just ineffective. Fine. But does that make him a cancer? Does that mean he's a bad influence on the whole team? Some people just go overboard about the guy's personality, without knowing him. You don't like him as a hockey player, ok, but no need to demonize him.

Freaky Habs Fan 11-17-2006 10:43 AM

An injured Kovalev is way better than a healty Murray so he can stay in the line up as long as he can...

bayrider 11-17-2006 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gros Bill (Post 7093692)
So, in your opinion, he's not a good hockey player, or rather he's just ineffective. Fine. But does that make him a cancer? Does that mean he's a bad influence on the whole team? Some people just go overboard about the guy's personality, without knowing him. You don't like him as a hockey player, ok, but no need to demonize him.

It makes him a bad linemate, exactly the kind of linemate I hated playing with when I played hockey; the kind that never passes, always tries to do things on his own. Maybe he's not a cancer, but I dont know how much his Line 2 and PP line mates really like playing with him. It's not a cancer, but he's not being a good teammate, he's not being a veteran or a leader, his self interested style of play is definitely not healthy for the team.

I don't understand how you guys can accept the fact that he's lazy 75-80% of games and still think he's a true asset.

Habs 11-17-2006 10:52 AM

Quote:

The entire team stunk last night. If you are going to callout players, why not Latendresse as well? Missed a wide open net, looked really lost out there.

The defence was asleep, and the intensity was pathetic.

Whitesnake 11-17-2006 10:55 AM

His presence, hurt or not, make the opposition on their toes consistantly, don't think any player not playing right now have the same kind of influence.

kostitsyn1489 11-17-2006 10:58 AM

Quote:

I usually agree with you and this time is no exception. I think Kovalev looked good yesterday not only because he end up the game with +1 but overall I liked his game. But 2-3 days ago I thought about Kovalev for about 30 minutes and I figured it out. He isnt good at all this year and he is a poison for every player he played with(Plekanec and Perezhogin especially). I dont care if he dekes throught 3 players cause I know he can do it but this year it's not working at all. What I hate about Kovalev this season is he's playing like he was healthy when he's not. Hey if you cant deke or skate well because of your injury gives the puck to Sammy and get ready to shoot. He doesnt want to play like everyplayer in the team play and his line is bad this year. He should step back and let other player on his line touch the puck. Sammy isnt a sniper he must get the puck and make play to be effective but Kovalev doesnt share the puck so this line cant work. In the last 2 games especially against Tampa Bay Kostitsyn and Samsonov made some nice play but Kovalev wasnt there to finish or he didnt cycle the puck at all when they were passing to him so it didnt work. Kovalev must share the puck and shoot as much as he can to be effective. Fancy play, when injured, through 3 guys doesnt work as much as it used to now with new defensive system.

laubelroc 11-17-2006 11:18 AM

I Will Bet You Taht If You Ask Any Player That Would Like To Plaay With Him Right Now The Way He Plays They Would Say No .he Is Always Tryin To Score A Highlight Goal.everyone Things Thats Great For Awhile Too Much Off A Hog Nobody Likes To Play With An Hogger

Netro 11-17-2006 11:19 AM

I must say that I really dislike how some fans react game by game. And this is not directed solely at this post but at some other posts today. And this is not solely directed at habs fans but all fans.

You don't evaluate your team on a game by game basis. There are good games and bad games. Let's all wait and see where this team stands after 40 games or so games and then evaluate the team then. We will have a much better understanding in the new year.

Shabutie 11-17-2006 11:23 AM

We've obviously got too many streaky players. Kovalev, Samsonov, Ryder, Perezhogin (his play has calmed down since the begining of the season), Latendresse (doesn't use his size/physicality every game). You don't know what to expect from these guys. We need more players who are going to give 100% effort everynight... People like Higgins or Johnson, who you know what you're getting every time you put them on the ice.

22SteveBegin22 11-17-2006 11:25 AM

If you're looking only at the guy's offense, then I guess you could be right, he's not producing much... but that's ignoring the fact that he's now playing at CENTER, so just as important is his defensive role. And I for one think he's been pretty damn solid at that. Did you see him in the Tampa game fighting along the boards behind the net to dig the puck out or break up passes in the slot? His stickhandling and hockey sense served him really well there, and he showed he's not afraid to get his nose dirty a little bit.

I for one don't mind the fact that Kovy isn't consistent all year long. He's the most gifted player on the ice, he's damn entertaining to watch, and in the playoffs he can heal the sick by laying his hands on them.

Gros Bill 11-17-2006 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laubelroc (Post 7093966)
I Will Bet You Taht If You Ask Any Player That Would Like To Plaay With Him Right Now The Way He Plays They Would Say No .he Is Always Tryin To Score A Highlight Goal.everyone Things Thats Great For Awhile Too Much Off A Hog Nobody Likes To Play With An Hogger

i Will Bet You A Million Dollars At Least One Player Says Yes. No, Wait, A Gazillion Dollars. Three Gazillion!

pepperMonkey 11-17-2006 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewHabsArea (Post 7093577)
I knew one would bring it up.. It doesnt reflect the reality... Kovalev was atrocious last night, his line has been outplayed big time all night, Kovy trying to deke everyone as usual, turning the puck over...

Umm, from my view point, the reality was, as much as Kovalev was atrocious, and his line was being outplayed big time, other lines were even worse. Heck, him keeping the puck too long may have saved us a few goals...joking ;)
I do agree though, if he is hurt, they should rest him. Yes the team needs him but they probably can risk a game or two if it means Kovy can come back healthy. Take the hit now, play better tomorrow.
As for him being a cancer...err, we already got rid of Ribs, do we really need to run Kovy out next? Are we really gonna be left with a team full of non-lazy Begin's of the world? I sure hope not. A team full of subpar skilled (offensively) but full of heart reminds me of the Leafs and look at their success recently...or lack of. I would take the Kovy's of the world any day.

Little Nilan 11-17-2006 11:37 AM

It's the end of the world as we know it.

Belso 11-17-2006 11:40 AM

I don't think Kovalev was horrible last night. I remember him trying very hard in the third. He is a little slow due to his knee, I do agree. And he seems to lack creativity using his line mates when he's close to the net. But in no way do I see him as a cancer. He wants to win. That's why he's still playing with the pain.

What I saw last night was a system break-down. I saw many panic passes and or plays. How can you explain Ryder running into Koivu like that? So what does Kovalev do when he sees the system break-down? He plays on his own. He tries to do things on his own.

We all know he's that type of player.. I think it's the coaches have to sit the team down and find out why they started playing like it was a do or die game? They looked desperate in the second period and on.. Why? They have to keep their cool, play the system and that is how opportunites will arise. Not by trying to do things on your own or shoot the puck up ice to a guy when there's 3 Florida players around him..