HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Broken collarbone (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=312735)

topcorner 11-17-2006 08:49 PM

Broken collarbone

I tried to avoid a sliding defenseman by jumping over him fell on my back and ended up sliding into the board pretty hard, my left shoulder got most of it, next thing I know I was in pain. The cause, a broken collarbone. The prescription from the doctor is NO physical activities for atleast two months :confused:. Does anybody know how long does it take to heal and for me to be comfortable to lace my skates and play the way I used to play (before the injury)??? MAN ITS SUCKS

MikeD 11-18-2006 10:33 AM

depends on how bad the the break is. A fractured CB is generaly 4 weeks and a complete nasty break can be about 6-8 and you should have no problem w/pain. If your under 30 years old you should be raring and willing to go by that 8th week As long as you follow those directions. Its important that you do nothing to aggravate that break if you want to return as quickly as possible. Some suggest added calcium intake during the recovery process. As long as your dietary intake is adequate I wouldnt risk the adverse affects that excessive amounts can cause.

topcorner 11-18-2006 12:45 PM

Thanks MikeD...from the x-ray I could see a broken cb (snapped in half). I reckon the chance of playing again for this year is slim :cry:

southpaw24 11-18-2006 01:25 PM

Im sortof in the same situation, i was comin in to hit this one guy at the red line that had built up speed from behind his net and i thought i had him lined up but apparently he moved at the last second and all his force went into my shoulder, it wasnt really pain right away but when i got up i could feel my shoulder drop... Ive been to 3 different doctors since then and I havent got a clear explanation to what happened, One says its a partial seperation, One says its torn ligaments and muscles and all that and another said it might be a break or fracture... I was told 4-6 weeks by them all but one who said probably around 3 weeks.... Im pissed though cuz i dont know whats right and i dont want to push it because i play fastball and its my pitching arm so i dont want to screw it up even more before the ball season.... It sucks... the only good thing about it is the meds... gotta love percs

MikeD 11-18-2006 02:32 PM

oh yeah, opium derivatives....big kick that also has a big addiction attached if not used with care. Def play the side caution and let it heal.

Top, you might get a return just after Xmas if you heal quickly. Keep the hopes up.

LeafDangler 11-18-2006 06:11 PM

I broke mine 2 years ago getting hit from behind. Mine was a pretty bad one apparently. Doctor said I was looking at 12 weeks before I could play again. I could skate after about a month and started parcticing again. I rushed myself back for playoffs at around the 7 week mark, took a big hit and broke it all over again. My advice to you is to listen to the doctor. Its incredibly frustrating but not as frustrationg as having to go through it all over again.

topcorner 11-18-2006 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeafDangler (Post 7103543)
I broke mine 2 years ago getting hit from behind. Mine was a pretty bad one apparently. Doctor said I was looking at 12 weeks before I could play again. I could skate after about a month and started parcticing again. I rushed myself back for playoffs at around the 7 week mark, took a big hit and broke it all over again. My advice to you is to listen to the doctor. Its incredibly frustrating but not as frustrationg as having to go through it all over again.

I definately do not want to rush it. The worry of reinjure would affect my play, I couldn't give 100%.

ShawnTHW 11-19-2006 12:16 AM

my dad had a broken collarbone not from hockey but from shooting a rifle, the recoil did it to him. He had surgery on it for the arthritis it was giving him. It took him a long while to recooperate. I'm not saying you will have arthritis soon, but when you do and you feel you need to get surgery to help, anticipate a lot of pain and make sure you stretch out your arm a lot. My dad stopped and he sorta has shoulder freeze. Broken collarbones are not a good thing when it comes to hockey players. Just thought I'd share.

topcorner 11-19-2006 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoppaMan21 (Post 7107985)
my dad had a broken collarbone not from hockey but from shooting a rifle, the recoil did it to him. He had surgery on it for the arthritis it was giving him. It took him a long while to recooperate. I'm not saying you will have arthritis soon, but when you do and you feel you need to get surgery to help, anticipate a lot of pain and make sure you stretch out your arm a lot. My dad stopped and he sorta has shoulder freeze. Broken collarbones are not a good thing when it comes to hockey players. Just thought I'd share.

oh! man...its not what I wanna hear...:help:

ShawnTHW 11-19-2006 08:07 PM

All you have to do is stretch it out constantly. I highly doubt you will escape arthritis. It will eventually come. So just dont underestimate it. It will crap your hockey game up big time.

Heat McManus 11-19-2006 08:18 PM

I broke mine about 10 years ago. It took me about 3 months before I could play. Best of luck

Ludwig Fell Down 11-19-2006 08:41 PM

I broke mine playing rugby about 12 years ago. Give it time to heal, and if they give you a harness, put it on. The doc told me I didn't need a harness, and the end result was the bones did not come together properly. One bone overlaps the other and sticks out. It doesn't bother me when I play, but it does get stiff if I'm standing around too much. Good luck.

kingpest19 11-19-2006 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southpaw24 (Post 7101769)
Im sortof in the same situation, i was comin in to hit this one guy at the red line that had built up speed from behind his net and i thought i had him lined up but apparently he moved at the last second and all his force went into my shoulder, it wasnt really pain right away but when i got up i could feel my shoulder drop... Ive been to 3 different doctors since then and I havent got a clear explanation to what happened, One says its a partial seperation, One says its torn ligaments and muscles and all that and another said it might be a break or fracture... I was told 4-6 weeks by them all but one who said probably around 3 weeks.... Im pissed though cuz i dont know whats right and i dont want to push it because i play fastball and its my pitching arm so i dont want to screw it up even more before the ball season.... It sucks... the only good thing about it is the meds... gotta love percs

If your shoulder dropped and the collarbone is sticking up above the shoulder thats a separation. Those can be tricky

topcorner 11-19-2006 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludwig Fell Down (Post 7113789)
I broke mine playing rugby about 12 years ago. Give it time to heal, and if they give you a harness, put it on. The doc told me I didn't need a harness, and the end result was the bones did not come together properly. One bone overlaps the other and sticks out. It doesn't bother me when I play, but it does get stiff if I'm standing around too much. Good luck.

I'm on a figure of eight bandage for 6 weeks, then more x-ray and hope for the best.:banghead: