HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Destination : Buffalo!! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=312943)

DisturbedPO 11-18-2006 02:36 PM

Destination : Buffalo!!

Hello!

We’re from Montreal and going down to Buffalo next weekend for the Sabres games against our Habs on Friday night and for the Bills/JAX game on Sunday.

We’re staying at the Doubletree Hotel on High Street on the Friday Night. You guys know any good restaurant in that area?

Also, we want to go out on the Friday night, after the game. Any cool bars? Suggestions ?

Thanks again!

Go Habs !
Go Bills !

MayDay 11-18-2006 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisturbedPO (Post 7102608)
We’re staying at the Doubletree Hotel on High Street on the Friday Night. You guys know any good restaurant in that area?

That's extremely close to the Anchor Bar (birthplace of the chicken wing). Right down the street, I think.

eSabre 11-18-2006 02:59 PM

After the game, head over to Chippewa, it should be pretty crazy down there. A lot of people go there after the game.

DisturbedPO 11-18-2006 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayDay (Post 7102673)
That's extremely close to the Anchor Bar (birthplace of the chicken wing). Right down the street, I think.

It's good ?

Olaf Fub 11-18-2006 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisturbedPO (Post 7102830)
It's good ?

I think it's a good bar. Wings are good. It's a neighborhood tavern; a good place to eat and have a couple of beers. I don't know if that's what your looking for.

If it's the hotel I'm thinking of, Chippewa isn't really that far either. (It's a couple of blocks away but you could walk it.)

camcool21 11-18-2006 04:32 PM

a good resteraunt if ur looking for wings is duffs resteraunt... It isn't really close to your hotel but, it's delicious. Make sure just to order medium if ur not used to spicy stuff...

go to Duffs (3651 Sheridan Dr., 834-6234)

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writ...188&RefID=3253

DisturbedPO 11-18-2006 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camcool21 (Post 7103310)
a good resteraunt if ur looking for wings is duffs resteraunt... It isn't really close to your hotel but, it's delicious. Make sure just to order medium if ur not used to spicy stuff...

go to Duffs (3651 Sheridan Dr., 834-6234)

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writ...188&RefID=3253

Thanks so much!
We are really looking forward to this weekend !!

DisturbedPO 11-18-2006 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olaf Fub (Post 7103009)
I think it's a good bar. Wings are good. It's a neighborhood tavern; a good place to eat and have a couple of beers. I don't know if that's what your looking for.

If it's the hotel I'm thinking of, Chippewa isn't really that far either. (It's a couple of blocks away but you could walk it.)

And on Chippewa, what is the best place for a cold beer and nice ladies ? :)

Chainshot 11-18-2006 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisturbedPO (Post 7105447)

Pub crawl it. Start at one end and work up one side of the street and down the other. :D

Poddubny 11-18-2006 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot (Post 7107117)
Pub crawl it. Start at one end and work up one side of the street and down the other. :D

agreed. take your pick on Chippewa. the ladies will be plentiful next weekend.

Buffalo Stylee 11-19-2006 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisturbedPO (Post 7105447)

Big Shotz. That's if you feel like going to jail for talking to the girls there.

joshjull 11-19-2006 11:00 AM

Anchor Bar is a short walk up to Main street then make a right and go down about two blocks. Then you can walk down to Main and Allen (which is one block past High St. going back the way you came) and catch the Metro Rail to the game. There is an underground station right at Main and Allen. Then after the game you can take the Metro Rail to Chippewa St.

After Chippewa I would recommend taking a cab as opposed to walking back to your hotel. The area not far from your hotel isn't one you want to accidentally wander into late on a Friday night.

DisturbedPO 11-21-2006 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshjull (Post 7110324)
Anchor Bar is a short walk up to Main street then make a right and go down about two blocks. Then you can walk down to Main and Allen (which is one block past High St. going back the way you came) and catch the Metro Rail to the game. There is an underground station right at Main and Allen. Then after the game you can take the Metro Rail to Chippewa St.

After Chippewa I would recommend taking a cab as opposed to walking back to your hotel. The area not far from your hotel isn't one you want to accidentally wander into late on a Friday night.

Thanks again! We were going to take a cab anyways.. Never venture to much in a city you don't know!

MikeD 11-22-2006 01:31 PM

As long as you stay pretty much west of main and do not venture north past niagara beyond city hall, its all good. that gives you about all of downtown to be kicking around.

Going up deleware or Elmwood to Allen will lead you to one of the better hot spots for nightlife in buffalo. Can be a bit crazy...you can take the above ground free fare section of the trolley to Allen. Prima Pizza has some pretty good pie!

possingk 11-22-2006 02:27 PM

After Chippewa make sure that you grab something to eat at Jim's Steakout, it is a great place to absorb the alcohol that you have had all night. I recommend the Jefferson Ave, (a philly cheese steak with italian sausage) the food item I miss most since moving out of Buffalo.

enjoy the trip.

SabreDr 11-23-2006 02:18 AM

I would go to Allen Street and then make it to Virginia Street and go to Mother's. Sabres players and executives hang there and it is a hopping bar and good restaurant before or after the game. I would then make it down to Chippewa and there are 25 bars or so there. My favorites are The Crocodile, The Barrel House which is right across the street, 67 West is good too. I would just walk down Chippewa and check them out. You will find ones that you will like depending on yur age and music style.

88 Fingers Louie 11-24-2006 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabreDr (Post 7148541)
I would go to Allen Street and then make it to Virginia Street and go to Mother's. Sabres players and executives hang there and it is a hopping bar and good restaurant before or after the game. I would then make it down to Chippewa and there are 25 bars or so there. My favorites are The Crocodile, The Barrel House which is right across the street, 67 West is good too. I would just walk down Chippewa and check them out. You will find ones that you will like depending on yur age and music style.

Mother's is on Virginia Place, not Virginia St.

BUCKSHOT 11-24-2006 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88 Fingers Louie (Post 7157583)
Mother's is on Virginia Place, not Virginia St.

I hope Mothers in Buffalo isn't like the 'Mothers' in Rochester .......... :badidea:

Zobes 10-10-2007 12:30 PM

Printed in the Gusto section of The Buffalo News on 10/10/2007

Pearl Street Grill and Brewery

76 Pearl St., 856-2337

The massive brewpub can fit more than 1,000 people in its three floors and usually gets about 500 for a Sabres game, more when it’s against a Canadian team. If you snare a table, you can order off the menu. But the $14 pregame buffet ($10 for children) offers fans in a hurry all the pizza, wings and beef on weck they can pack in. At least six beers brewed on the premises lead off the drinks list. It’s the only place near the big rink with both bubble hockey and air hockey, if you want to try for a little goal celebration yourself.

Washington Square

295 Washington St., 849-0619

The decor is Early Naugahyde, and the place has all the atmosphere of a Civil Defense bunker, but who cares when the beer is cold and reasonably priced, the plump chicken wings appear promptly, and there’s a horde of jerseyclad fans to rev up the volume? The kitchen is open after the game, there’s a widescreen television to catch the replays, and the walk to HSBC Arena seems short even when an Arctic clipper is howling down Washington Street.

City Grill

268 Main St., 856-2651

It has a much better wine list than your average Sabres hangout, but this place sees a lot of jerseys and jeans on game nights. They’ve got chicken wings on their menu, but they can also hit you with the grilled beef churassco with dry jack au gratin potatoes and chimichurri sauce ($24). Microbrews sprout alongside the usual suspects at their beer taps, and the wine list specializes in New World vintages, from California, New Zealand, South Africa and so on. Make a reservation if you want a table on game night, and the trolley stops only steps from the front door.

Irish Times

38 Swan St., 854-2199

Before games, the cozy spot opposite Dunn Tire Park serves Irish pub fare like chicken pot pie, shepherds pie and corned beef on rye among a largish menu. Besides Guinness, there’s Bass, Blue Moon, Smithwick’s and your usual suspects. The kitchen is open two hours after games. As soon as the puck drops, the special kicks in: double wings and a pitcher of beer for $17.95.

Malamute Tavern

211 South Park Ave., 855-8981

Two blocks from the arena, a working-man’s bar quietly serves up major values to Sabres fans before and after games. Beef on weck, subs and spaghetti are favorites among patrons. When it starts getting cold, chicken noodle soup and chili hit the menu. You won’t find more reasonable beer prices within walking distance. Four televisions, a jukebox and a pool table offer diversions. Work your way through a hefty $5.50 beef on weck before heading over, and you’ll be sad when you see arena denizens cracking open a plastic clamshell to dine.

Cobblestone

130 South Park Ave., 848-1930

Just as there are no bad beers before a Sabres game, there are no bad watering holes within a block of center ice. Cobblestone only opens for Sabres games and other events at the arena, but there’s no doubt it’s the fastest non-Sportservice beer you can grab after a game. If you’re enjoying a pregame beer inside Cobblestone when you hear “O Canada” start, you’ve still got time to make it to your seat for the opening faceoff.

W.J. Morrissey’s

30 Mississippi St., 852-0930

A bright, shiny new Irish pub that opened last during last season’s playoffs is a classy place only a slap shot from the arena. It tends to draw more of the jacket-and-tie crowd than some local hangouts, but you’re also much less likely to have a beer spilled on you here. It features an Irish-centric menu and drafts that go beyond Guinness — Harp, Smithwick’s. On Friday night, they offer complimentary happy hour appetizers.

Swannie House

170 Ohio St., 847-2898

Buffalonians have been getting their drink on here since the 19th century, and you can feel the history in your bones. More importantly, the selection of beer on tap is wide, with Saranac, Newcastle and Beamish. The kitchen is reliable with a burger, chili or chowder, and one of the all-time great Buffalo fish fries for $7.95. Get there two hours before game time and leave your car in their lot to walk over for the game. Traffic? What traffic?

Pettibones Grill

275 Washington St., 846-2100

There’s room for 200 Sabres fans in this second-floor restaurant in Dunn Tire Park — and there’s practically a television for every table. Before Toronto games, there’s a buffet, but mainly people go for pub fare, burgers, wings and salads off the menu. The place closes when games start, so you’ll have to find postgame libations elsewhere.

Lafayette Tap Room

391 Washington St., 854-2466

Barbecue and live music lift this venue above the ordinary. There’s time to catch the happy-hour specials before the game, and check out the pregame show on three televisions. If you make it back before 9 p.m., you might not have to pay the cover charge (normally $5, more for national acts). If the Sabres get smoked, you can always drown your sorrows to the blues. During the playoffs, a real live organist leads cheers.

New Sabres Captain 10-10-2007 01:27 PM

This thread should help you with more information.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=326682

Freezerburn 10-10-2007 01:29 PM

Hopefully I'll have enough time tomorrow to check out one of these places you guys are always talking about. I don't know though, I think we might be pretty crunched in terms of the clock.

Myllz 10-10-2007 02:28 PM

Your avatar scares me.

Fan-of-#9 10-10-2007 02:39 PM

I think you might get beat up.

Freezerburn 10-10-2007 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myllz (Post 10715520)
Your avatar scares me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9 (Post 10715679)
I think you might get beat up.

I'm lost...are these posts for me? haha

Mike McDermott 10-10-2007 02:44 PM

Lots of good suggestions... certainly read the thread someone up above directed you too... it has lots of good info for people visiting Buffalo.

You have Saturday to kill if your staying for the Bills game Sunday? Use it to venture out and see the suburbs... There are some great restaurants outside the City limits too, along with some good fun to be had.