HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Dave Lewis isn't as bad as we made him out to be when they got the slow start. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=313039)

acr* 11-18-2006 08:52 PM

Dave Lewis isn't as bad as we made him out to be when they got the slow start.

I'm liking his strategies more and more as the year goes along(and the team starts to win with them).

I like some of the agressiveness in his strategy. 3 forwards in OT(4 forwards when we were on the PP), two forwards and Chara on a 5 on 3 is a lot more effective than two defensemen stading around and one forward trying to follow the puck like a chicken with his head cut off.

Rolling the lines now with the Tenkrat-Kesssel-Chistov line becoming a force. Despite what a lot of people here are saying, when we have a late one goal lead, I don't mind the Primeau line being out there, as they're probably the best checking defensive line we have(though Primeau's brainfart penalty cost us the one-goal lead tonight)

Could it be we were all wrong in calling for his head? Or just snapped too quick to judgement?

Mike Yeos Eyebrows 11-18-2006 08:55 PM

I fully agree. It took the team a while to buy into his systems, but his systems clearly work, and play to the team's strengths. Now only if Thomas didn't spread his legs so much...:biglaugh:

Bruinster* 11-18-2006 08:58 PM

I still not a fan of him.

IMO we win despite him not because of him .

Patrice37 11-18-2006 08:59 PM

hence why i stayed away from all the "FIRE DAVE LEWIS" threads

joe14linsco 11-18-2006 09:02 PM

i agree completely, when they were 3-7 or something i was calling for Lewis' head with my friends, but now that they have a winning record for what? the first time since December of last year, he's a coach who knew what he was doing

TwineTickler 11-18-2006 09:08 PM

The fire Lewis talk was pretty ridiculous if you ask me.. you gotta give him some grace period in a new town, with a brand new team. Some things I love about him, Some things I'm still not crazy about, but he's a good hockey mind, I think he'll change some peoples minds before too long.

acr* 11-18-2006 09:10 PM

Well I was never in the "Fire Lewis" camp...I was in the "What the hell is this new guy doing?" camp.

He didn't have my confidence then, but he's proved me wrong.

GordonHowe 11-18-2006 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrice37 (Post 7106422)
hence why i stayed away from all the "FIRE DAVE LEWIS" threads

I have tried to remain supportive; he isn't the best coach for B's '06 -- who is? -- yet he's open to new ideas, changing on the fly, and not to stubborn to concede a mistake. For this group, *and with the assistant/associate coaches serving with him*, I'm relatively sanguine.

Coach of the Year, no. Coach of a rebuilding franchise, building toward respectability & identity, yes.

PS to Tony Mazzorati (sp, I don't care how he spells his name): Stick to the effing Red Sox. You don't know jack about hockey.

Boston 11-18-2006 09:14 PM

The PK NEEDS to improve.

TheReal13Linseman 11-18-2006 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruinster (Post 7106413)

:clap: :clap:

He's calling TO's; that's an improvement. But, he's still overplaying Mowers (under no circumstance should that guy be on the PP) and he's got his 3rd (Mowers, Donovan, Primeau) confused with his 4th (Kessel, Tenkrat, Chistov). He still perplexes me.

CapeB 11-18-2006 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReal13Linseman (Post 7106651)
:clap: :clap:

He's still overplaying Mowers (under no circumstance should that guy be on the PP) and he's got his 3rd (Mowers, Donovan, Primeau) confused with his 4th (Kessel, Tenkrat, Chistov). He still perplexes me.

:clap:

The PK still needs to improve as well.

DKH 11-18-2006 10:39 PM

he put the BBS line together, uses timeouts, has defenseman on the PP, plays Kessel at center, Ax hasn't been used in the shootout- answered my 5 complaints on the ice.

jahbrations 11-18-2006 10:46 PM

I think Lewis still needs more time to be honestly evaluated. This is such a brand new team, obviously it's going to take a moment to truly gel.

My main problem with Lewis so far has been the way the Bruins get passive when they get the lead.

Cheesy 11-18-2006 11:10 PM

I never thought he should or would get fired already, but I didn't like that he was mis-using people as much as he was. Is it a coincidence that since he put the BBS line back together and started using Mara more on the power play, etc, that they've started winning? Maybe, but probably not. I am happy that he recognized what was and was not working and has made efforts to correct them.

Bill Ladd 11-18-2006 11:36 PM

I was never in the 'fire Lewis camp' but I was definitely in the 'Lewis sure is making a lot of mistakes, and let me be the first one to point them out' camp. He still does things that have me scratching my head, like using Primo for any face-offs at all, let alone the important ones, especially when he's got Mark Mowers on his line now and Mowers is tearing it up at 58.1% to Primeau's 46.3%, but that said, lots of the things I didn't understand at the start of the year are paying dividends and he's due all the credit for thinking outside the box with moves like putting Axelsson on the power play where he was primarily responsible for Chara's goal tonight setting a Ryan Smyth type screen in front of Johnson, and the PP is now top 10 in the league.

Strafer 11-19-2006 12:00 AM

I'm a little ashamed to say I was looking for him to get canned too. I thought that he and his assistant/associate coaches really seem to be working well lately. I think we need to give credit also to Peter Chiarelli, he must have had some sleepless nights thinking that maybe me made a mistake in hiring DL and all, but he showed patience and composure when people were looking for him to make trades and ax DL. Kudow (so far) to the whole management team for staying the course. I know eventually they'll make some more significant moves as the season goes on, but they'll do it from a position of stregnth!:yo: Buy low, sell High!

Westfield Eagle* 11-19-2006 12:01 AM

Putting Axelsson on a scoring line with Savard and Murray was a great move. Axelsson is on pace for 20+ goals this year and should end up receiving consideration for the Selke.

I don't know if I agree with not playing Chistov-Kessel-Tenkrat down the stretch of close games like tonight, but I'm not gonna complain right now.

jahbrations 11-19-2006 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westfield Eagle (Post 7108375)
Putting Axelsson on a scoring line with Savard and Murray was a great move. Axelsson is on pace for 20+ goals this year and should end up receiving consideration for the Selke.

After that misconduct Axe got, there's no way he'll get the Selke.

BoyntBergie 11-19-2006 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westfield Eagle (Post 7108375)

I don't know if I agree with not playing Chistov-Kessel-Tenkrat down the stretch of close games like tonight, but I'm not gonna complain right now.

I agree, they should have played more, if they even did at all, in the third tonight.

At the same time, I'm glad Lewis put them together as a unit. Not all coaches would. They've been a threat alot of the time when they've been out there. Tenkrat continues to play very well, as does Kessel. Chistov and Tenkrat both finish their checks so far too, which I like.

Don Cherry* 11-19-2006 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jahbrations (Post 7108491)
After that misconduct Axe got, there's no way he'll get the Selke.

I think you're thinking of the Lady Byng trophy which goes to the leagues softest player. We have plenty of candidates for that one. :biglaugh:

Don Cherry* 11-19-2006 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruinster (Post 7106413)

I'm with you on this. He's still making poor moves, but we're somehow winning anyways, mainly due to timely saves, lucky bounces and a few good calls such as the two-man advantage last night.

Lewis is no genius.

Bruwinz37 11-19-2006 07:51 AM

I certainly questioned some of his moves and I still do. Bergeron is still playing at the point on the PP when he can be better utilized down low. Mara and Chara need to be at the points and Brad Stuart when his finger is completely healed.

Bergeron can be so effective down low and the PP would be just devastating. He makes that switch permanent and I will be back on the wagon a bit more with him.

Blowfish 11-19-2006 08:05 AM

This thread is unreal, starts with optimism, and quickly goes to chits.

What is wrong with all of you?:banghead:

Twisted Tales 11-19-2006 08:09 AM

That's why you guys (those who we're for the firing of Lewis, idiots) have no patience at all. If you can't take the first 10 games of the season, then don't bother calling yourselves fans. I understand we get ticked off for losing games, but to consider something so ****ing ridiculous as to 'LEt's fire Lewis,' it's just plain stupid, period.

BruinsGirl 11-19-2006 08:25 AM

IMHO it's silly, but DL look still bothers people.

Other than that I like that DL turned out to be not as conservative as he used to be in the beginning of this season. At least now he is trying different combinations.. I love 3 + 1 system in overtime (for defensive minded coach it's ALOT)

But.. I am not sure how much is this DL's achievement. I think other B's coaches are working their butts off to make B's successful.