HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Tonight's game was horrible (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=31309)

swflyers8* 11-26-2003 05:37 PM

Tonight's game was horrible
 
My god, tonight's game was horrible. Absolutely horrible. The Flyers played like they were the Pens and the Pens played like we have in the past month. What the hell happened tonight???? There was so many turnovers in our zone tonight by everyone. No one seemed to be talking at all. These guys seem to like going for the fancy pass instead of the easy clear and lately it's been costing us.

Then all the lines got messed up. Why did Hitch switch up all the lines?
There is a saying "If ain't broke, don't fix it!". Why mess with a good thing? He drops Williams to the fourth line and puts Roenick and Brashear together? Anyone else dumbfounded by this? Then he moves Tony to Leclair and Zeus's line. I think that totally screwed the game up. Then we had the refs who seemed to only make the calls when they felt like it. Every play was offside.

Pittsburgh's goalie played great. He had alot of great stops in the end there. Fata and Koltslov will good players for the Pens in the future.
Horrible, horrible game. We were lucky to escape with any points at all. :teach:

Sixty Six 11-26-2003 05:53 PM

thanks for giving us credit... Nothing is better than watching a team rip the pens (like you guys did calling us an AHL team) then watching us out play them and get a point for two. To bad i missed the game... I hate work :mad:

SaintRon 11-26-2003 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swflyers8
What the h*ll happened tonight????

It's called "the trap". Only took the PENS 12 games to figure out how to play it from time to time.

Clarkie was interviewed on the PENS Center Ice broadcast.

Asked how to improve the game:

"Keep the goalies in the net. Why can the goalie handle the puck but he can't be checked? If you keep the goalies in net, more/better forechecking, more scoring."

Interesting....

SaintRon

GoneFullHextall 11-26-2003 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintRon
It's called "the trap". Only took the PENS 12 games to figure out how to play it from time to time.

Clarkie was interviewed on the PENS Center Ice broadcast.

Asked how to improve the game:

"Keep the goalies in the net. Why can the goalie handle the puck but he can't be checked? If you keep the goalies in net, more/better forechecking, more scoring."

Interesting....

SaintRon

sheesh i think people need to chill out. fine we didnt play well. It happens. Not every game is gonna be a clinic on playing dominating hockey. If you would have told me back in October we would be 12-2-5-1 after 20 games i would have taken it
again i say relax and chill out, enjoy the football, and turkey tomorrow.
btw Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone

Blindside9711 11-27-2003 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
sheesh i think people need to chill out. fine we didnt play well. It happens. Not every game is gonna be a clinic on playing dominating hockey.

We also don't play every game against a minor-league squad that begs to be lit up on a nightly basis. There is absolutely no reason why our top-of-the-league team shouldn't be able to crush a team like the Pens 9 times out of 10. What have we done against them recently? Blown a 3-0 lead in the 3rd period, luckily salvaging a tie... Getting bent over and dominated last night, still salvaging a tie. Why can't we play against Pittsburgh the way we play against Vancouver, Boston, Toronto, etc???

Teezax 11-27-2003 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindside9711
We also don't play every game against a minor-league squad that begs to be lit up on a nightly basis. There is absolutely no reason why our top-of-the-league team shouldn't be able to crush a team like the Pens 9 times out of 10. What have we done against them recently? Blown a 3-0 lead in the 3rd period, luckily salvaging a tie... Getting bent over and dominated last night, still salvaging a tie. Why can't we play against Pittsburgh the way we play against Vancouver, Boston, Toronto, etc???

I'll tell you why, people underestimate Pittsburgh's defensive game, and history shows the Flyers cannot beat defense first teams.

Liquidrage* 11-27-2003 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintRon
It's called "the trap". Only took the PENS 12 games to figure out how to play it from time to time.

They gave up 39 shots.

I'd say their trap sucked :joker:


The Flyers doubled up the Pens in total shots, carried a vast majority of the play, but just didn't finish their chances, and that had a lot to do with the Pens playing very hard and always getting a stick in the way at the last second. And having a goalie make some nice saves doesn't hurt.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Teezax
I'll tell you why, people underestimate Pittsburgh's defensive game, and history shows the Flyers cannot beat defense first teams.

39 Shots. Allmost the whole game was played in the Pens zone.
I'd say it was just a game we were lacking in the "finishing" department more then the Pens playing some great D. Great "D" doesn't lead to tons of shots. And you can't even say they were all from the outside, only 16 of those shots were from our D.

stanley 11-27-2003 06:33 AM

I'm with Rage - that wasn't a poorly played game at all. They cycled well and played good defense. Let's not lose sight of the concept that a perceived "poor effort" from one team is often accompanied by a "good effort" from another team. Caron just played a little bit better. A ten game unbeaten streak and people are complaining?!? Man, talk about hard to please.

My observation of the night involves Joni Pitkanen. I still think it's a little early to project too much on him, but he is one impressive player. It's not so much his talent - that (gulp) Bobby Orr-like circling in the Pens' zone last night as Exhibit A - but his degree of poise at 20 years of age. He just doesn't seem to get rattled for a young guy and seems to have a feel for when to jump up on a play.

So far, I'm wholly impressed by this player.

Liquidrage* 11-27-2003 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley
My observation of the night involves Joni Pitkanen. I still think it's a little early to project too much on him, but he is one impressive player. It's not so much his talent - that (gulp) Bobby Orr-like circling in the Pens' zone last night as Exhibit A - but his degree of poise at 20 years of age. He just doesn't seem to get rattled for a young guy and seems to have a feel for when to jump up on a play.

So far, I'm wholly impressed by this player.

I'm all about his talent. He's incredible.

How about the play where he skated laterally creating space with the puck before firing off a sharp wrister that only a great glove save prevented from being a highlight reel goal to make the other fan envious.

Pitkanen is a stud. I could talk about him for hours. Hell, I even signed up for Google News Alerts on "Pitkanen".

Dr Love 11-27-2003 07:08 AM

Caron played a hell of a game. The Pens played hard and they've skated the Flyers to two ties so far this year, credit to them. Somik pissed me off though with his gimmie in front of the net that he blew. Could he have shot it any softer? They'd have walked out with a win if he had put any mustard on it.

Teezax 11-27-2003 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
Caron played a hell of a game. The Pens played hard and they've skated the Flyers to two ties so far this year, credit to them. Somik pissed me off though with his gimmie in front of the net that he blew. Could he have shot it any softer? They'd have walked out with a win if he had put any mustard on it.

i don't think he expected the pass to get to him, i guess that's why he didn't put the mustard. It was more of a reflex shot than anything. He was alone and could have had him beat easy if he kept the puck for another second. The one that gets me is the Williams one, not at fault but the fact that Caron spotted the tap in traffic and saved it with his toe in the nick of time was quite impressive.

Liquidrage* 11-27-2003 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
Caron played a hell of a game. The Pens played hard and they've skated the Flyers to two ties so far this year, credit to them. Somik pissed me off though with his gimmie in front of the net that he blew. Could he have shot it any softer? They'd have walked out with a win if he had put any mustard on it.


At leas the got a shot off on that one.

The one that gets me is the nice set up from Pitkanen when Somik fell down as he whiffed at the puck. He was alone 3 feet in front of the net and the goalie wasn't squared to him. Coulda, shoulda wouda.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.