HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   New Skates: Help please! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=313092)

windflare 11-18-2006 11:56 PM

New Skates: Help please!

I'm interested in learning skating, and I want to get a pair of good skates that are durable and... well, 'good'. I've been looking mainly at the CCM Tacks line, such as the 652/692/492, etc, as I've heard good things about them, but I realized that I don't know much about the other brands. Can you guys suggest to me some skates that are durable, good, and not too expensive? Models from a few years back are also fine, as I might go for a pair of used ones.

Since I'm a beginner, should I go for low-end skates like the CCM Tacks 292, or go for a higher level so I don't have to upgrade?

Thanks a lot!! This is much appreciated.

Jacob 11-19-2006 04:02 AM

Skates will fit differently. Tacks might not fit your foot. Go find a store and try some on.

Petey21 11-19-2006 09:28 AM

It depends on what kind of feet you have, if they're narrow Bauer skates are generally better fitting, but if your feet are wide CCM are generally better fitting. But I said generally as it's not always the case, the best thing is to actually try some different brands and models out at a store.

I have always been a CCM guy but some year ago I got my first pair of Bauer skates ever, and they did fit me well despite my wide feet.

Check this link out for some info on skate sizes and fitting:

http://www.torontohockeyrepair.com/charts.htm

Crosbyfan 11-19-2006 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windflare (Post 7108310)
I'm interested in learning skating, and I want to get a pair of good skates that are durable and... well, 'good'. I've been looking mainly at the CCM Tacks line, such as the 652/692/492, etc, as I've heard good things about them, but I realized that I don't know much about the other brands. Can you guys suggest to me some skates that are durable, good, and not too expensive? Models from a few years back are also fine, as I might go for a pair of used ones.

Since I'm a beginner, should I go for low-end skates like the CCM Tacks 292, or go for a higher level so I don't have to upgrade?

Thanks a lot!! This is much appreciated.

If your feet are still growing used skates from a good skate shop are the best bang for your buck.

mattyports 11-26-2006 06:14 PM

Finding the "right" skate is a process that involves a few factors...

The higher model number you go (Tacks 252, 652, 952 for example) the stiffer the boot, generally. Heavier players will need a stiffer skate.

Everyone wants to buy a "good" pair of skates, but be cautious of buying "too much" skate. Even if you get a good deal on a used pair of high-level skates, buying that pair of Bauer XX's won't do much to help you develop as a skater; they'll be very stiff and uncomfortable.

As a general rule of thumb, stick with lower-level skates like 252's, if you're going for Tacks. The key is to try on models from Bauer/Nike, CCM, Mission and other manufacturers, because all boots fit differently (I'm a hardcore Tacks guy...wide feet). Get a few different models and take your time with them. Don't be pressured by the sales guy -- if he's worth his salt, he'll be a help, and won't try to sell you when you're not ready to buy.

TBLfan 11-26-2006 09:59 PM

tacks are wider and vectors are narrower within CCM brands. Go and try some on and find what fits the best. I recommend low-end unless you plan on playing, then you should look to mid level skates. Don't be afraid to spend some money if you're really going to use them.

windflare 11-26-2006 11:26 PM

Thanks for the replies! I understand that RBKs/CCMs generally are wider, which is why I've been looking at Tacks. How are the RBK skates compared to CCMs in terms of quality?

I am planning on joining a league in an year if my skating progresses to that level. However, I'm kinda stuck right now. I've tried on the fit, and I know what sizes I need. There are some reasonably priced CCM Tacks 492s and RBK 4Ks at my local Sportschek, but the thing is, I can get a 892 or Vector ZG 110s (T-Blade Skates) at pretty much the same price from online. Will they be too stiff for me, or will I be able to work through it?

VisionQuest* 11-27-2006 10:22 AM

Im a tacks loyalist with player skates. My current pro tacks have two years and 200+ skates on them and theyre in great shape.

EmptyNetter 11-27-2006 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windflare (Post 7182607)
I am planning on joining a league in an year if my skating progresses to that level. However, I'm kinda stuck right now. I've tried on the fit, and I know what sizes I need. There are some reasonably priced CCM Tacks 492s and RBK 4Ks at my local Sportschek, but the thing is, I can get a 892 or Vector ZG 110s (T-Blade Skates) at pretty much the same price from online. Will they be too stiff for me, or will I be able to work through it?

I'd never buy skates, shoes or sneakers online. My feet are pretty sensitive and I've got a high arch so I need to be sure that the fit is right above all else. IMO go to a shop where the clerks are knowledgeable, have them measure your foot and tell them about how much money you expect to spend. I don't know one brand from another, but it seems that above a certain price point the added features are things that might not be important to you as a beginning skater -- lighter weight, antibacterial liner, moisture control, etc. Fit and support should be your primary concerns and you can't get that right until you slide the skate on your foot and walk around in it.

I don't know of any skate models you should avoid because they're not durable, but maybe somebody here does. Seems like most stores and manufacturers would pull those models if there were a lot of complaints -- a hockey company who puts out fragile equipment won't last very long.