HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   1/4 point rankings, prior to tonight (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=31345)

oilerdynasty 11-26-2003 08:02 PM

1/4 point rankings, prior to tonight

http://www.allsports.com/network/con...74&story=45980

Ratings based on their roles

Allan 11-26-2003 08:41 PM

Who is this Jay Pearson guy? Has he watched many games this year?

"34 Fernando Pisani Right Wing F, 3 goals and 9 points, +7... Has been in-vis-ib-le. Just a mess on the ice. There is not one solid area in his game."

He's played on a poor defensive team, and has a +7 in 21 games, and he has scored 9 points in that time, despite the fact that the bulk of his ice time is against other teams top lines, and killing penalties. This guy will never be an all-star, but he is a very good checking winger.

"32 Scott Ferguson Defence F, 2 assists, +4... Can you spell slow? F-E-R-G-U-S-O-N. Old is also spelled F-E-R-G-U-S-O-N. Ineffiective. He's a liability in his own end and leaves the offensive zone too early."

He's had his problems, but he's not that bad. And he's only 30. Off the top of my head, I can think of three older guys on this team (Oates qualifies as a spelling of old, however), and it's one of the youngest in the league. The average age is close to 28. That cheap shot ruined any credibility the article had.

A lot of quibbling disagreements as well, but I think those are just interpretation things. These two were just so bizarre I had to wonder if the writer had watched more than one or two games this year, and had done any research.

Walsher 11-27-2003 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan
Who is this Jay Pearson guy? Has he watched many games this year?

"34 Fernando Pisani Right Wing F, 3 goals and 9 points, +7... Has been in-vis-ib-le. Just a mess on the ice. There is not one solid area in his game."

He's played on a poor defensive team, and has a +7 in 21 games, and he has scored 9 points in that time, despite the fact that the bulk of his ice time is against other teams top lines, and killing penalties. This guy will never be an all-star, but he is a very good checking winger.

"32 Scott Ferguson Defence F, 2 assists, +4... Can you spell slow? F-E-R-G-U-S-O-N. Old is also spelled F-E-R-G-U-S-O-N. Ineffiective. He's a liability in his own end and leaves the offensive zone too early."

He's had his problems, but he's not that bad. And he's only 30. Off the top of my head, I can think of three older guys on this team (Oates qualifies as a spelling of old, however), and it's one of the youngest in the league. The average age is close to 28. That cheap shot ruined any credibility the article had.

A lot of quibbling disagreements as well, but I think those are just interpretation things. These two were just so bizarre I had to wonder if the writer had watched more than one or two games this year, and had done any research.

100% agree. Brutal insights by a no-name writer. Pisani has been awesome defensively - look at his numbers. The plus minus speaks for itself playing against the other teams best units. Whatever this guy has been smoking it must have been really cheap.

SeriousBusiness 11-27-2003 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walsher
100% agree. Brutal insights by a no-name writer. Pisani has been awesome defensively - look at his numbers. The plus minus speaks for itself playing against the other teams best units. Whatever this guy has been smoking it must have been really cheap.

The Ferguson comment was way out of line. He has played in almost every game for us. Doesn't that mean something? Liability in his own end? He is plus 4.

I don't know why Raffi gets a B. He has been outstanding. He gets a A from me

Master Lok 11-27-2003 03:07 PM

What a joke. I posted my response on their website below.
============================================

Sure he has the right to his opinion, but if JP's going to be publishing an article, expect to get flamed if he doesn't know what he's watching!

Bergeron a B+? He creates offense true, but also gives up a lot of turnovers in his own end. A C+ is more fair.
Chimera a B+? What has he done? He's been relegated down to pressbox and 4th line duties.
You rated Chimera higher than Hemsky? What more do you expect from the kid? He's already on pace for a 60 point season in his sophomore season and that's a C?
Pisani an F? His linemates (RPM) are both B+'s. He has 9 points and is +7 on the checking line and you fail him? Is this a personal dislike? Pisani an F?

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 11-27-2003 03:21 PM

Some of the rankings were bang on, and some were just completely out of left field.

I was happy to see he is one of the few who has given Bergeron his due, but then you get something like giving Pisani an F and you wonder what this guy is thinking.

Vomiting Kermit* 11-27-2003 03:48 PM

Some of Pearson's grades are agreeable, but others are terrible and humorless (i.e. his Ferguson remark). In conclusion, most of his articles on that site are poorly written.
Thankfully, there's an excellent report card by lowetide on the boards here that is thought through very well. :handclap: