HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Are my shorts right?! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=314432)

Phoenix 11-23-2006 02:38 AM

Are my shorts right?!

Have never actually worn the full protective outfit before - have just bought my pair of shorts...but when i tried everything on, I'm worried my shorts are too long. They come to just above my kneecap, and my movement feels restricted now. Is this just getting used to? Is that where the shorts are meant to come to? My shin guards have that little flap at the top and this feels to be at least part of the problem.

I tried pulling the shorts up higher and they can go up a little but then the spinal and chest part of my shoulder pads overlaps slightly.

I tried the short size below and it was too small.

vcx* 11-23-2006 07:49 AM

If you know how to sew (yes, i know how) you could just fix the bottom or if it is a major problem, cut the sides so you have some space when you skate and it's not hitting the top part.

Because i know what the problem will be, when you wear your sock, that little flap will come up and your hockey pants will sit under it and the flap will be sticking out, its annoying, or it will hit the top of the knee pad.

I'm guessing you tried them out on the ice already, right?

YoungJames 11-23-2006 07:58 AM

[QUOTE=XXXX;7149094]Because i know what the problem will be, when you wear your sock, that little flap will come up and your hockey pants will sit under it and the flap will be sticking out, its annoying, or it will hit the top of the knee pad.

QUOTE]

Why dont you just tape the sock around thigh? Or buy one of those "straps" that connect your socks to the "underprotection"(cant think of the right word).

Ri hards 11-23-2006 06:49 PM

[QUOTE=Nemo;7149123]
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXXX (Post 7149094)
Because i know what the problem will be, when you wear your sock, that little flap will come up and your hockey pants will sit under it and the flap will be sticking out, its annoying, or it will hit the top of the knee pad.

QUOTE]

Why dont you just tape the sock around thigh? Or buy one of those "straps" that connect your socks to the "underprotection"(cant think of the right word).

you mean Garter belts.

To the original question, the bottom of the pants should be right above the knee cap. The idea is that there is no gap between the top of the shin pad and the bottom of the pants.

When you say the movement feels constricted, what do you mean?

sc37 11-23-2006 09:37 PM

Yeah what is bothering you? Actually I'm thinking it's cause it's your first time waering it all. And also, might be your pants, sometimes it'll break it a little a be a bit more flexible.

mr gib 11-24-2006 12:10 AM

just show someone when you play again

Phoenix 11-25-2006 12:32 AM

Uh, no I haven't actually tried them out, cos I only bought socks recently. What's annoying me is I feel like I can't lift my legs up (ie flexing at the knee and hip upwards) properly for maneuverability. eg. doing crossovers. The shorts padding seems to get in the way. So they soften?? Also the flap at the top seems to be restrictive in lifting my knees up.

sc37 11-25-2006 03:56 PM

Some people slice off the top flap of their shinpad just to reduce the hassle of taping it down and such. If your pants cover that area, then it should be ok to do that. But overall, kinda sounds like your pants are a little bulky to just too big. Maybe get some suspenders to hold your pants up a little, sounds like it might be an inch or two too low. Mine personally come right to the top of my knee, but not the kneecap like you say. And the pants should break in a little, but don't expect them to go soft. But in all honestly, just go try it out and fiddle around with it, really different than being on ice with them than just 'trying them out.' Maybe you might even get used to it.

Phoenix 11-28-2006 01:24 AM

I think I figuredout part of the problem - socks. what do you ppl recommend - tape, or garters.

Having never worn socks before -um, where do you tape them to? :) I found if I held them mid-thigh, that's where I feel really restricted cos I'm flexing against the sock. A friend uses elastic garters - do they work? I tried it and it fell to above the shin pads anyway.

sc37 11-28-2006 09:00 AM

I only use the traditional garter. But seems like a lotta guys use the jock shorts with the velcro tabs to hold up their socks. But seems like those guys use masses amounts of tape. I don't like a lotta tape so I can get more flex, and doesn't make me feel like the shinpad is permanently glued to me. I usually wrap a strip right below my knee.

Phoenix 11-29-2006 09:27 PM

Thanks for the advice....I finally tried them out and I wished I had earlier....they're so much better than trackies! Didn't expect it - I hardly thought about my maneuverability wearing them. The flap catches a bit, and they are mildly long - but then I'm right on the lower borderline for my size. Hopefully it won't bother me in the future. :)

NYYmt62 12-02-2006 10:45 AM

I think the general rule is that they are supposed to be right even with the top of your kneepad. Personally, I like them to be slightly above the kneepad.

Hank19* 12-04-2006 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyymt62 (Post 7234920)
I think the general rule is that they are supposed to be right even with the top of your kneepad. Personally, I like them to be slightly above the kneepad.

I actually like mine at about the mid mark, but I can't find pants that fit me properly. I have a thin waist and long legs so all my pants end up going to just the top of the knee.
When trying them on without shinguards the rule of thumb is that the pant should extend to the bottom of your knee cap.
If you're having problems with flexibility it could be that they're very padded pants. Try wearing them and stretching them out off the ice.

What brand is it? There are brands out there that are made specifically for beer league hockey. Pants that have less pading for more flexibility but have the proper protection for non-contact, non-slapshot leagues.

Phoenix 12-05-2006 10:40 PM

They're easton ultralites. 2005 year i think. They seem to be more bulkier than those the others wear

Hank19* 12-12-2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix (Post 7272032)
They're easton ultralites. 2005 year i think. They seem to be more bulkier than those the others wear

Mission pants seem to be great for price and flexibility. They don't have a lot of padding but unless you're in the NHL you shouldn't worry about that.