HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Question for Refs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=314522)

Ti-girl 11-23-2006 11:15 AM

Question for Refs
 
Okay, here is my problem.

I play in three different leagues and all of them have different rules. The one team I am playing for is a women's beginner team. I am on it because I:
a) want more ice time
b) love playing hockey
c) enjoy the team that I am on
d) am playing with my cousin and best friend on this team

Anyway, I am usually ending up with 2-4 penalty minutes per game for this team! It's really frustrating. And it's ONLY one ref who calls me.

Last game I was passing the puck out and this girl came, full steam, and we ended up hitting knee on knee. No call. So I got up and limped to the bench. (I've already had 3 knee surguries...) The next shift, the same girl comes up and two hands me across the back of the shins. During the break in play I ask him he if can start watching the stick work since a few of us are getting chopped at. He told me to go sit down.

THe next shift I end up getting LEVELED from behind.. I'm 5'9 and one of the strongest skaters on the ice so this girl had to be going FAST to nail me like that. I got back up and no call.

NOW I'm pissed. I calmed myself down and asked the ref what the calls were going to be. If he was going to let us have body contact or not. He told me to sit back down.

The next shift I angled a girl and rubbed her out. Didn't check her, just angleled her and I got a 5 minute major for boarding.

What do I do? Do I go to the league and complain or do I keep playing the way that I am? Now, in this league, I don't even want to get in front of the net because if I touch a girl I get called.


:banghead:

BCCHL inactive 11-24-2006 02:32 AM

If you play in three different leagues, my assumption is that you aren't exactly a beginner. While you may enjoy playing for the team, perhaps it isn't your best option. I know in our local mens rec league, players playing in a league well below their skill level is not looked upon very well.

Just last year, a local player who played Jr.A and just came home from the NCAA went into the C division (A being the highest and where he should have been playing). He was abused by opposing players, and given in rec hockey, your average official is an "old vet" who will call the game his way, that abuse was let go. It wasn't right, but there are just not enough bodies to go around to change the attitude of a lot of rec league officials.

Recreational leagues are in tough when it comes to officiating. Speaking from experience here in PG, they are so short for officials that the league director will put anybody out there. Literally. The reason for that is because abuse from players is just not worth it, thus a lot of officials have decided they can spend their evenings and nights doing something else. It's why I quit. I like to talk to players when I have the chance and I like to call a fair game (even if I think a player is being a ***** playing two levels below where he should be), but trying to be open to communcation in the rec league got me more f-bombs thrown my way than mature communication from fellow adults.

I don't think there is a hard answer for your situation. I would talk to your league and see if they can tell you what the referee reported for your Boarding Major and why he assessed it. If that doesn't help, politely explain your situation and maybe the league will look into it for you.

Ti-girl 11-24-2006 02:46 PM

Well technically, according to the rules I am a beginner player.

When I called the league to register they were starting a women's league. Well seeing as I have only played for a little more than a year I got slotted into the women's league.

I'm playing in a men's divison C and a women's tier one otherwise. The problem is, this isn't the first time it's happened to me in this leauge. When we have the female ref on the ice everything goes well. I've yet to get called by her and she comes and explains all of her calls if we have a question.
This guy has been on my case since the first game. During the summer season I got a two handed slash across my wrist and broke 3 bones in it and he told me to "Get up" or he was giving me a 2 minute for delay of game.

We've called the league up a few times and the ref gets better for a game and then he's back to his old tricks. It's just really frustrating because I'll make a great play and then I get called for it. I took a slapshot from the point that got deflected. It hit him in the skate and he came over and told me "that one more stunt like that will get you in the box."

I don't mouth off to him or disrespect him in any way but I just keep getting the short end of the stick. I talked to the league again today and they said that they would look into it. We play on Tuesday so hopefully things will kind of work out. If not I'm going to finish up the season with the way I play and then not come back next year. I think our team is intending on switching leagues anyway.

That or I'll just do something that deserves a penalty like a hipcheck at centre ice.

dbbourn 11-24-2006 03:09 PM

Maybe he has a crush on you.

Seriously, our best player gets hacked to no end and will never get a call because he is so much better than everybody else. It almost sounds like the same situation, but for the ref to get mad at a deflected slapshot?... That is lame. Too bad one lousy ref ruined the league for you guys. If you are painting the correct picture and not leaving anything out this ref has got to go!

MikeD 11-24-2006 03:25 PM

well, the ref is part of the play so why not clear a few pucks off the glass that seem to come pretty close to him? lol Then you can tell himt o learn to get out of the way or DUCK.

Ti-girl 11-24-2006 04:33 PM

Well I was sitting in the box last game and I was talking to the scorekeeper and he goes "Just wire one."

So we're clearing our zone and I did I nice chip shot that missed the ref by about 2 or 3 inches. Me being me I skated by and gave him a grin and went back to the bench. He gave our bench a warning and we all just sort of rolled our eyes.

There are days that I feel bad for him, being the only ref on the ice, but at the same point when he calls our team for icing when we're on a PK or when he gives me random BS penalties I don't.

He checked my stick before our second game of the season. He wasn't impressed that I use a one piece. Too bad I can't aim in the first place...

FLYLine24 11-24-2006 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ti-girl (Post 7161573)
Well I was sitting in the box last game and I was talking to the scorekeeper and he goes "Just wire one."

So we're clearing our zone and I did I nice chip shot that missed the ref by about 2 or 3 inches. Me being me I skated by and gave him a grin and went back to the bench. He gave our bench a warning and we all just sort of rolled our eyes.

There are days that I feel bad for him, being the only ref on the ice, but at the same point when he calls our team for icing when we're on a PK or when he gives me random BS penalties I don't.

He checked my stick before our second game of the season. He wasn't impressed that I use a one piece. Too bad I can't aim in the first place...

I think you answered your own question why the guys a d*** to you..and he'll probably continue to be now.

Ti-girl 11-24-2006 07:30 PM

Well what else should I do?

As I've stated before this has gone on since the summer leauge (May) and it's just gradually gotten worse.

It's to the point where if I touch someone or even get near them I get called and if something happens to me I get a warning for delay of game.

Two games ago I got a two hand right across the back of the knees as I was skating to the bench. I ignored it and skated away, but I took her number. Next shift I CLEANLY angeled her off and I got a warning. So next shift I go to the corner to gather the puck and this girl looses an edge about 3-4 feet away from me and I go to the box for tripping.

Next shift I'm skating up with the puck, make 2 nice moves and a girl sticks her knee out and I go flying. I've had 3 knee surgeries and wear a brace on the ice and when I do anything else. No call.

Then with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd I pin the puck against the boards and kick it towards my centre who is coming to help. This girl comes and wallpapers me. Had it been NHL I would have given her a standing O for it. But seeing as it's non contact I was a bit pissed.

After I clear my head I get up and go straight to the room.

If I'm going to get called for gathering the puck and standing on my own two skates, I may as well make it interesting. :dunno:

BCCHL inactive 11-25-2006 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD (Post 7160798)
well, the ref is part of the play so why not clear a few pucks off the glass that seem to come pretty close to him? lol Then you can tell himt o learn to get out of the way or DUCK.

No matter how much of an ******* the referee is, that's going to get you a 10-minute misconduct in any league. NOTHING pisses a ref off more than getting creamed with a puck and then be told to get the **** out of the way.

MikeD 11-25-2006 08:09 AM

only if intent is shown...act like one and ya get treated like one. If the Ref cant be impartial than he has no business out there. If he wants to give Ti and her team the business than he should expect it to come right back at him.

vexXed 11-25-2006 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Van (Post 7166042)
No matter how much of an ******* the referee is, that's going to get you a 10-minute misconduct in any league. NOTHING pisses a ref off more than getting creamed with a puck and then be told to get the **** out of the way.

Where I'm sure that is true, nothing gave me more satisfaction than seeing a ref being told "Get outta the ****ing way!" by an angry player after he blocked a clearing attmept. The ref didn't even penalise the player as the entire crowd was booing him to hell. Perhaps my view is a little harsh though as I know he is just there doing the best he can to call penalties and the like. However, if the ref in question is being a biased **** on a power trip, (which I'm sure most of them are) then I'm all for him getting creamed.

One game I was playing was the finals for the Scottish recreational plate. Nothing serious, just a non-checking beer league with some NHL wannabes and petty goons who want to take out their daily frustrations on guys who just wanna play the game. With about 1 minute and 30 seconds left, I clear the puck from our zone and then immediately get drilled in to the boards from behind. I'm winded, in the fetal position and can't even move amidst the crowd calls of "Get up you faker!" etc. NO CALL, and the play continues. My goalie is going nuts at the ref for the no call but he is having none of it. I'm not even pissed at the guy who hit me, all I can think about is 2 handing the ref in his fat ****ing face, but I don't even complain to the ref as there is no point. I eventually get up and skate to my bench throwing in my stick and gloves in disgust.

In the middle of being uber-pissed, I started to think why there was no call. Did he not see it? No way. I literally cleared it a few milliseconds before I was hit. If he didn't see it, then he certainly would have heard me crunching against the boards. If he happened to be blind AND deaf for those 2 seconds, why would I be down on the ice wasting precious time with a minute to go!? I tried for ages to think of why he didn't call ****. We lose the game 3-2 and I feel like I have been trampled all over like a sack of crap.

I found out later that that particular ref just didn't like the fact that the university students had formed a team. Why? No idea. Perhaps he never went to uni and felt intimidated. Also, later my freind said that when he was arguing a different call, the ref replied: "Just because you've got a degree it doesn't mean you know everything!"... No, we attend university to GET the degree we don't have yet. ****ing moron.

How ANYONE could be hit like that and then think "Oh I'll just let it go" is beyond me. The absolute injustice! The guy can't even referee a beer league competantly. A totaly disregard for the safety of the players... he is not fit to ref anything.

Ti-girl you should take this further. I didn't and I regret it completely. These so called 'Refs' don't deserve to dictate our great game.

BCCHL inactive 11-25-2006 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vexXed (Post 7167147)
Where I'm sure that is true, nothing gave me more satisfaction than seeing a ref being told "Get outta the ****ing way!" by an angry player after he blocked a clearing attmept. The ref didn't even penalise the player as the entire crowd was booing him to hell. Perhaps my view is a little harsh though as I know he is just there doing the best he can to call penalties and the like. However, if the ref in question is being a biased **** on a power trip, (which I'm sure most of them are) then I'm all for him getting creamed.

One game I was playing was the finals for the Scottish recreational plate. Nothing serious, just a non-checking beer league with some NHL wannabes and petty goons who want to take out their daily frustrations on guys who just wanna play the game. With about 1 minute and 30 seconds left, I clear the puck from our zone and then immediately get drilled in to the boards from behind. I'm winded, in the fetal position and can't even move amidst the crowd calls of "Get up you faker!" etc. NO CALL, and the play continues. My goalie is going nuts at the ref for the no call but he is having none of it. I'm not even pissed at the guy who hit me, all I can think about is 2 handing the ref in his fat ****ing face, but I don't even complain to the ref as there is no point. I eventually get up and skate to my bench throwing in my stick and gloves in disgust.

In the middle of being uber-pissed, I started to think why there was no call. Did he not see it? No way. I literally cleared it a few milliseconds before I was hit. If he didn't see it, then he certainly would have heard me crunching against the boards. If he happened to be blind AND deaf for those 2 seconds, why would I be down on the ice wasting precious time with a minute to go!? I tried for ages to think of why he didn't call ****. We lose the game 3-2 and I feel like I have been trampled all over like a sack of crap.

I found out later that that particular ref just didn't like the fact that the university students had formed a team. Why? No idea. Perhaps he never went to uni and felt intimidated. Also, later my freind said that when he was arguing a different call, the ref replied: "Just because you've got a degree it doesn't mean you know everything!"... No, we attend university to GET the degree we don't have yet. ****ing moron.

How ANYONE could be hit like that and then think "Oh I'll just let it go" is beyond me. The absolute injustice! The guy can't even referee a beer league competantly. A totaly disregard for the safety of the players... he is not fit to ref anything.

People like you are why I quit the rec league.

You can ***** and moan about calls made and not made all you want. Once you think it is acceptable to do physical harm to an official, in a rec league no less, no matter how much of an ******* he is, you've crossed a line that should see you never play hockey again.


Quote:

Originally Posted by vexXed (Post 7167147)
However, if the ref in question is being a biased **** on a power trip, (which I'm sure most of them are) then I'm all for him getting creamed.

I guarantee you most of them aren't. You think you know everything about officials? Why don't you go try it yourself for a change? (See how you like having pucks fired at you with small elbow pads being your only real protection.) Perhaps you can stop the bias first-hand. :shakehead

vexXed 11-26-2006 03:59 AM

Quote:

People like you are why I quit the rec league.

You can ***** and moan about calls made and not made all you want. Once you think it is acceptable to do physical harm to an official, in a rec league no less, no matter how much of an ******* he is, you've crossed a line that should see you never play hockey again.
I'm sorry that you quit reffing, I think I saw you explain a while ago when you were arguing with another poster who hacked at a guys neck with his stick and he thought that was fine as 'retalliation'.

A part of me feels like this:

If I get caught up in the heat of the moment, and think it is ok for the official to get whatever he deserves, it doesn't mean I ACT on my emotions. I feel that I can think whatever I want to during a game, the game brings that out in us, but I know acting on it is a different story. A lot of players on my team and in that league feel the same way I do, except I just happened to post what I thought on here. Do you or did you play hockey? Can you honestly say that you never felt like throwing a water bottle at the ref (ala Roenick at Blaine Angus) for not calling an obvious penalty? Doesn't mean you would right? But surely you've thought about it? I think every player thinks like this, and only a minority act on their feelings.

Another part of me feels like this:

If the ref I was talking about continues to unfairly call games and get away with it, he needs to know that it isn't acceptable and the players won't stand for it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that where I personally would never act on physically harming a ref (although I am certainly thinking about it), I wouldn't care if he got what he deserved by some other means. No doubt you will still find this offensive and I apologise, but you were a ref so perhaps you can help me resolve this in another manner should it happen again? That ref was in fact the head of the recreational league we played in so I think any complaint would have had no effect whatsoever... Would I need video evidence? A whole team complaint? Multiple teams complaining? What if he only has it in for one team? Obviously single requests would amount to nothing being done, as I'm sure this happens all the time.

You say people like me are the reason you quit, and that I should never play hockey again. A little presumptuous. In 3 seasons with my university team, the recreational league, various tournaments, freindlies in Scotland, a summer with my team in Hong Kong, every single game I have played, I have a total of 4 penalty minutes. I remember them vividly - slashing and hooking - both good calls. I never acted in any other way but polite and civilised when asking the 2 different refs what they were for, and then I quietly made my way to the penalty box. I have never fought, never will (I hope) and am the diplomatic one on the team, always breaking up potential fights between players. If anything, I am a ref's right hand man. Believe me, it isn't players like me that made you quit.

If you were a ref who made good and unbiased calls then what I wrote shouldn't have offended you. My post was directed at that total c*nt of a 'ref' and others like him - biased, petty ****s who want to feel 'big' in their uniforms deciding how the game turns out.

Quote:

I guarantee you most of them aren't. You think you know everything about officials? Why don't you go try it yourself for a change? (See how you like having pucks fired at you with small elbow pads being your only real protection.) Perhaps you can stop the bias first-hand.
I agree that my post on how most of the refs are biased ****'s on power trips was unfair. But the one I'm talking about isn't the only one in this world, and I think everything should be done to remove them from refereeing a game. I never said I knew everything about officiating a hockey game. Hell, I don't even know every single rule, but what I do know is that getting checked from behind and being injured in a non-checking league is worthy of a suspension, no matter what anyone says.

Honestly? I have thought about reffing myself. I actually thought about it right after that game. I could view the points made from both perspectives and probably come out with a much better outlook on how to handle the situation. I do know I would have called that check on me if I was reffing that game. As for getting pucks fired at me, I hope I get one one right in the mouth should I be calling the game unfairly.

BCCHL inactive 11-26-2006 03:04 PM

No referee deserves physical harm. Bottom line. No questions asked.

vexXed 11-26-2006 11:06 PM

Can answer what I asked you before? If a ref is continually biased in the calling of games, what can be done to remove him from his power trip?

BCCHL inactive 11-26-2006 11:34 PM

Lodge a complaint to the league in which you play. That is all you can do.

I don't know what it's like where you are, but in rec leagues here, if a player intentionally subjects an official to physical harm, the player(s) is charged with assault.

vexXed 11-27-2006 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Van (Post 7182635)
Lodge a complaint to the league in which you play. That is all you can do.

I don't know what it's like where you are, but in rec leagues here, if a player intentionally subjects an official to physical harm, the player(s) is charged with assault.

Yeah but that guy was pretty much the top dog in recreational hockey for that league. It would be like complaining to Gary Bettman if he were a ref too, - most likely swept under the rug.

I don't know why you mentioned the repercussions for physically harming an official as a warning to me as I have already said before that I wouldn't take any such action against them. I am mearly thinking what everyone else is thinking: he should get what he deserves should he be calling the game unfairly.

Over in Scotland I'm sure if a ref gets his *** handed to him then the violating player will be slapped with a lengthy suspension. Perhaps he would get hit with assault, I am not sure. In Hong Kong, the penalty would probably be worse. However, I think this brings up an interesting point: How come players don't get done for assualt for fighting? Does the general law of the land not apply to them on the ice?

BCCHL inactive 11-27-2006 03:24 AM

When two players fight, it is usually with two willing combatants. You will only see charges of the law laid in cases where a player is viciously attacked either from behind and/or with a weapon (stick).

Officials are a completely different story. France, as a country and government, has set the bar recently with introducing a jail term for attacking and injuring sports officials.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=2619190

I don't see why you think a referee deserves physical harm if he isn't doing a fair job. That's a juvenile and dangerous mentality to have, and you should change your attitude about it. I also don't agree with your assumption that "everybody is thinking it".

vexXed 11-27-2006 04:35 AM

I have seen many fights in the NHL where one player is not willing to fight at all, and then turtles or just defends himself by hugging the other player while he gets hit. How come this isn't worthy of police investigation? Sorry to digress but I've always thought as to why this is.

It's good that France has implemented the new law as I know the amount of **** ref's can get is almost inhumane, (especially in football, you all call it soccer) and that some fools are blind to calls, good or bad, so long as their team has the advantage.

But, if a ref doesn't belong in a game he is reffing, dictating the flow of the game unfairly in a biased fashion, and nothing substantial can be done to remove him, then I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I just can't let go of my juvenile and dangerous mentality. Again, does this mean I'll do anything? Do I spit on the ref after he makes a bad call like a Sheffield player did in my league last year? No. So I don't see how it is dangerous just thinking anything. Juvenile? Sure, as long as it's not harming anyone. We'll agree to disagree.

I know a lot of players on various teams that 'thought about it' a lot, but with the ref's that I'm talking about. Hell I know lots of players that 'thought about it' with the decent refs. One player on my team told the ref to meet him outside after the game between us and this travelling Canadien team who had come to tour Scotland, and the ref just left halfway. I wasn't sure who was at fault there, that guy on our team wasn't any ref's favourite, but to leave the game especially with that travelling team coming all the way over was pretty bad too.

Ti-girl 11-27-2006 12:19 PM

Well, I sent an email to the league and what I got back was that the referree in cheif will be at our next game to see what is going on. But they also said that the referee has made comments about my "dirty" playing.

We'll see what happens next game if the referee in cheif even shows up. (I highly doubt it)

What is the most frustrating is that yes, some of the calls SHOULD be made. Yes, when I hipcheck a girl at centre ice, it should be called, but they should look at what happened before I did it. I am NOT a dirty player (my 8PIM in one leauge and 4 PIM in the other should prove that) but when nothing is getting called, sometimes you have to take your chances.

EmptyNetter 11-27-2006 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ti-girl (Post 7185070)
but when nothing is getting called, sometimes you have to take your chances.

I have to agree. The referees are supposed to enforce the rules so that the game is played fairly and all who participate are (relatively) safe from physical injury. It's interesting to me that in pickup games (in my experience) players are generally respectful of each other and are responsible for their actions. When a referee is introduced to the game he becomes the conscience of every player on the ice. If he calls a penalty then somebody has done a "bad" thing. If he doesn't call one, then it must have been okay. Repeated non-calls suggest that it's open season.

JMHO but I'd advise against the "warning shots" at this particular ref. Instead, deal with the individual players who are taking cheap shots at you even if your PIM's continue to increase. If the ref refuses to give them a reason (penalty) to stop then you've got to do it yourself unfortunately. And stop listening to the scorekeeper -- he/she is probably a player trying to atone for his/her own mis-deeds. ;)

Hope it all works out for you.

dbbourn 11-27-2006 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Van (Post 7183269)
Officials are a completely different story. France, as a country and government, has set the bar recently with introducing a jail term for attacking and injuring sports officials.
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=2619190

A good friend of mine was umpiring a beer league softball game and left in the final inning because of the abuse he was taking from the losing team. He gave them their fair warnings and the game was a blowout anyway. While he was walking to his car he was confronted by one of the players and he told the guy that there will be no further discussions. This guy was obvoiously frustrated and punched my friend in the chest.

A ref (usually) isn't out to "get" anybody, which is why I find the original posters story so hard to believe. Their job is to call the game as they see it. Most refs want a game free of incident and don't want to be involved in the outcome. A referee is a third party to the event and should have no part in the game, so unless this ref actually gives a $#** who wins the game or has something against you personally there seems to be no reason for his prejudice.

.... Back to my friend the umpire.... He called the league and they told him to call the police. Later that week the police showed up to this guys work and arrested him for assault. When the court date came the guy wished to settle and my friend agreed, having put this guy through enough of hassle. Hopefully having putting this guy through the process will prevent others from acting out their rage.

It is just a game...

Ti-girl 11-27-2006 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbbourn (Post 7187461)
A ref (usually) isn't out to "get" anybody, which is why I find the original posters story so hard to believe. Their job is to call the game as they see it. Most refs want a game free of incident and don't want to be involved in the outcome. A referee is a third party to the event and should have no part in the game, so unless this ref actually gives a $#** who wins the game or has something against you personally there seems to be no reason for his prejudice.

Well our first game ever as a team we lost 8-0. Our goalie stopped 80 shots. I got one call.

We were totally dominated (by a team last year that played tier 1) but we were working hard. I took the puck out of our zone, skated up the LW boards, cut in and got elbowed. I had my head up but I thought she was just going to try to rub me out. I got up, stole the puck and got a good scoring chance. Then I went to backcheck and caught up to her, rubbed her out and got a bodychecking penalty. Whatever, first game so I thought maybe I did deserve it. Then one of our girls just gets CREAMED and no call.

Though one of our girls is becoming the queen of drawing penalties...

bleedgreen 11-27-2006 06:02 PM

anybody puts a puck at me intentionally is done for the game period. i dont care if you missed by a mile. telling me to get out of the way usually gets a warning, depending on your verbage. if you hit me with the puck you shot at me intentionally im writing it up and if you arent suspended for a significant period of time i wont work at that rink again.

its not worth that crap. grow up.

i hate reffing girls leagues to be honest, i get more yelling at me than anywhere else. not to say the original poster is this way, but everytime someone leans on them and they fall i get screamed at. when i try to explain they say they were "checked from behind" or "two handed", when all i saw was the other girl going for the puck and incidental contact. im not saying all womens hockey is like this, just some of the lower levels ive done. of course guys give me a hard time too, especially at lower levels - but the level of rage in the tone of the ladies seems way worse. women not getting the calls they like seem more likely to think ive got something against them, when i ran leagues i got more complaints from women players about certain ref's than i ever got from men. guys mostly were able to step back and cool down and let it go, but adult women seem to look a lot deeper into the whole "personal" thing. to be fair, pyscho's at the rink arent limited to either sex, of course. i dont find a lot of women waiting to kick my *** in the parking lot.

maybe this guy is a jerk. maybe he does pick on you, but its because he thinks you dont belong at the level and calls you tighter because he is worried about the game getting out of hand if he lets you manhandle people, even if in your opinion youre doing it clean. sometimes with players playing out of level i have to call them for things i wouldnt call them for at their own level, because the lower level cant handle that kind of play....they get angry and violent and try to reciprocate times two.

its always tough to respond when someone has individual stuff like this because none of us are there. i can think of situations where ive seen someone like you be right, ive seem way more situations where the person talking the way you are absolutely deserved what had happened to them. its tough to say without seeing. he obviously thinks YOU have it out for HIM, since he is warning you when he thinks you intentionally put the puck his way - if it happened the way you say it did. just because it hit a skate doesnt mean it couldnt be interpreted as intent. maybe he saw a look in your eye, or the skate it hit was only a couple of feet away from him.

even if what you say is true, dont shoot pucks at him. youre the one who will get tossed for it, and his boss will sympathize with him - and it will look like you are the one being the jerk....even if it was him. maybe get a league official to watch a game or two to catch him "in the act" of messing with you.

it sounds like other stuff happens in your games. couldnt it be your just taking your specific plays and not seeing everything as a whole? not trying to patronize, but if your teamate is drawing a lot of calls, it cant be as bad as you make it seem. not to mention 2-4 pins a game isnt really that big a deal.

ps the most important thing. its ridiculous to think that i would ever have it out for a player. like most guys, i just dont care that way. ive forgotten about you the second you leave the rink, and wont think about you again till i you come back. youll get a clean slate every time. mostly because thats the way i am, but also partially because so many people have given me a hard time since you did last, i couldnt remember what happened if i tried. thats the kicker in the whole "personal" thing, if the guy doing your games works a lot - he doesnt even remember half the stuff thats happened, and your screaming at him like he stalks your house and kicks your cat. its never personal, im just trying to do my job.

BCCHL inactive 11-27-2006 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vexXed (Post 7183331)
I have seen many fights in the NHL where one player is not willing to fight at all, and then turtles or just defends himself by hugging the other player while he gets hit. How come this isn't worthy of police investigation? Sorry to digress but I've always thought as to why this is.

NHL players are millionaires. Even as low as junior hockey (in Canada), playing for their teams is their job. Rec league players have to go to work the following morning.

You can't compare a fight situation to assaulting somebody with a weapon. If we want to use everyday life as an example, I have witnessed numerous bar brawls that didn't see anybody arrested or charged.


Quote:

Originally Posted by vexXed (Post 7183331)
But, if a ref doesn't belong in a game he is reffing, dictating the flow of the game unfairly in a biased fashion, and nothing substantial can be done to remove him, then I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I just can't let go of my juvenile and dangerous mentality.

As a player, that's not for you to decide.



Quote:

Originally Posted by vexXed (Post 7183331)
One player on my team told the ref to meet him outside after the game between us and this travelling Canadien team who had come to tour Scotland, and the ref just left halfway. I wasn't sure who was at fault there, that guy on our team wasn't any ref's favourite, but to leave the game especially with that travelling team coming all the way over was pretty bad too.

Whoever told the referee to meet him in the parking lot is at fault. No questions asked.

If I got threatened in the parking lot, I would leave the game too. I wouldn't give a rats *** who is playing. Uttering threats, of a severe nature, is another thing that as a rec league ref, I wouldn't hesitate to have the cops lay on a player.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.