HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Notes on Habs prospects I took (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=31484)

theo6060 11-27-2003 10:01 AM

Notes on Habs prospects I took

I wrote this all out in a different thread, I guess it was titled differently so most people probably didn't look at it.

Here are some notes on players for the Dogs I took while at the Bulldogs @ Roadrunners game last night.
Toronto beat Hamilton 3-1 with all the goals coming in the third period. Here are some notes I took from observations of the Habs prospects.

Higgins seems to be very good at pick-pocketing opponents. I saw him do it twice that led to decent scoring chances and another time that did not. I was very impressed by him tonight.

Hossa had a couple of strong shifts and overall had a good game. Strong on the puck and seemed to work pretty hard. Good work ethic... hopefully more to come from him.

Hainsey jumped into the play a few times. He hit the post off one of his offensive jumps. He got the pass from the left side and had Morrison beat far side but hit the post square on.

Ferland was very good physically tonight. Since I had never seen him play, I wasn't sure what game he played. Looks more or less solid at both ends of the ice but I was really impressed with his punishing hits. Hopefully he'll be in a Habs uniform soon because we could really use his physical presence out there. He also seems to be an effective penalty killer.

Balej looked okay out there. He had a great chance from the slot off a pass from Marcel Hossa. At the end of the second period he got hit into the boards a couple seconds after the period ended, he grabbed the other players stick and threw it across the ice.

Perezhogin barely got to play. I was surprised. For a player that management has such high hopes for I would have expected to see him play more. He played a fair amount in the 1st, got a penalty early in the second and probably had 1-2 shifts after that in the 2nd period. He didn't play much in the third either. One thing I noticed from him that worries me a little is he seems to like cutting to the centre a little too much. Since he's a left-handed shot on the right wing, he cuts to the middle (granted he did it near the blue line and not the slot) and takes a wrist shot when he's at a 90 degree angle to the goal. He did it in warm up and a few times in the game. I can't help but wonder if one of these days he's going to get his clock cleaned from doing that.

Didn't notice much out of Plekanec tonight. I guess maybe just a quiet game.

As for the Bulldogs goal - it was a beauty. Perezhogin was skating out of the corner going the opposite direction of the goal with a guy on his back. Higgins eluded his checker and took Perezhogin's drop pass. Higgins got the puck a few feet under the face off dot. He skated by the goal line, cut back to the middle and outwaited the goalie who dove at him while he put it upstairs on the close-side. It was a goal that would make you jump out of your seat. Very nice to see Higgins with a beauty goal. Another thing I like about Higgins is he seems mature. After he checked someone along the boards, the guy cross checked him in the back (behind the play) and Higgins didn't even turn his back, just skated away. Good to see he won't take undisciplined penalties. I guess I'm just used to seeing retaliation from the OHL that when I don't see it I praise that particular individual.

Anyways, that's about everything from tonight's game that I can think of right now. If I forgot anyone let me know and I'll let you know what I saw.

habitants9_4 11-27-2003 11:21 AM

I am surprised Plekanec didn't stick out...

Perezhogin hasn't been getting ice-time since the Svitov call up, I think I will be interviewing him on saturday. So hopefully I can update you guys on his English.

Mike8 11-27-2003 11:25 AM

Thanks for the update!

How did Hossa look overall offensively? Was he creating chances?

theo6060 11-27-2003 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
Thanks for the update!

How did Hossa look overall offensively? Was he creating chances?

Yeah Hossa had a great game. Well, a good 2nd period more so than the rest. He had a few chances in one shift, set up Balej for a good chance from behind the net. Played good physically too.

As for Plekanec, I guess it was probably just an off game. He played ok, had an assist on the goal but honestly didn't notice him too much. Same with Milroy, he didn't do much either...

Joe Cole 11-27-2003 11:56 AM

good post theo6060 ! :handclap:

montreal 11-27-2003 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habitants9_4
I am surprised Plekanec didn't stick out...

Perezhogin hasn't been getting ice-time since the Svitov call up, I think I will be interviewing him on saturday. So hopefully I can update you guys on his English.

I spoke with Craig Downey about interviewing Perezhogin, and he said that Alex's English is still very poor. Good luck. We should talk, if you post your interview here, then there's no need for me to interview the same guy. If I hear from Higgins (Craig Downey said he would get Higgins to call me today, but I told him it was a holiday in the states)

Anyway, after the Higgins interview I was going to interview either Archer or Balej or Ferland. But if you have a schedule of interviews lined up, let me maybe we can work something out.

montreal 11-27-2003 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theo6060
Yeah Hossa had a great game. Well, a good 2nd period more so than the rest. He had a few chances in one shift, set up Balej for a good chance from behind the net. Played good physically too.

As for Plekanec, I guess it was probably just an off game. He played ok, had an assist on the goal but honestly didn't notice him too much. Same with Milroy, he didn't do much either...

I listened on the radio, and it sounded like Hossa's line was not doing much at all. They had a few chances, but a great game for Hossa? No offence, you were there and I wasn't, but 2 shots and a -2 + what I heard on the radio didn't sound very good.

Plekanec I didn't hear much of either. Hainsey seemed involved a good bit though. Balej was a -3 :eek: But Fichaud seemed to play well, just got an unlucky bounce on the Hinz goal.

Andrei Kastsitsyn* 11-27-2003 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plekanec
There is a major difference between hear and see!

Yeah heh, for once i agree with the Plekmeister.

Habber 11-27-2003 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theo6060
Perezhogin barely got to play. I was surprised. For a player that management has such high hopes for I would have expected to see him play more. He played a fair amount in the 1st, got a penalty early in the second and probably had 1-2 shifts after that in the 2nd period. He didn't play much in the third either. One thing I noticed from him that worries me a little is he seems to like cutting to the centre a little too much. Since he's a left-handed shot on the right wing, he cuts to the middle (granted he did it near the blue line and not the slot) and takes a wrist shot when he's at a 90 degree angle to the goal. He did it in warm up and a few times in the game. I can't help but wonder if one of these days he's going to get his clock cleaned from doing that.

Discouraging to hear Perez isn't getting much icetime, but from what you're describing it sounds like he hasn't adjusted much at all to NA play. He could probably get away with cuts to the middle like that on big ice, but obviously can't be doing that here.

Getting his clock cleaned a couple times would probably be the best thing for him. He won't be doing those cuts if he gets bulldozed once or twice.

montreal 11-27-2003 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plekanec
There is a major difference between hear and see!

:lol:

habitants9_4 11-27-2003 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
I spoke with Craig Downey about interviewing Perezhogin, and he said that Alex's English is still very poor. Good luck. We should talk, if you post your interview here, then there's no need for me to interview the same guy. If I hear from Higgins (Craig Downey said he would get Higgins to call me today, but I told him it was a holiday in the states)

Anyway, after the Higgins interview I was going to interview either Archer or Balej or Ferland. But if you have a schedule of interviews lined up, let me maybe we can work something out.

I am only going to the game on saturday. If that! I just pulled a joint in my shoulder at hockey practise. I would interview Balej. He's a well spoken player. Throughout the year I will probably interview all the Dogs.

theo6060 11-28-2003 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
I listened on the radio, and it sounded like Hossa's line was not doing much at all. They had a few chances, but a great game for Hossa? No offence, you were there and I wasn't, but 2 shots and a -2 + what I heard on the radio didn't sound very good.

Plekanec I didn't hear much of either. Hainsey seemed involved a good bit though. Balej was a -3 :eek: But Fichaud seemed to play well, just got an unlucky bounce on the Hinz goal.

Hossa was generating some good chances, and finishing a lot of his checks. More like a really good 2nd period I guess but it was more or less a solid effort I found.