HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Kings Need D (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=31698)

Ziggy Stardust 11-28-2003 08:36 AM

Kings Need D

Since the off-season, the Kings have been in the hunt for a defenseman with "BITE," as Dave Taylor has said.

I'm looking over teams who appear to have a gluttony of defensemen who have the luxury of moving one.

The Hurricanes, Senators, Rangers and Sabres all carry 8 defensemen on the roster... I would assume that each club has one or two individuals who are expendable.

Maybe those of you who follow the above mentioned teams could chime in with names whom you think could be moved.
To my knowledge, Taylor was seeking a #5-6 defenseman, so I would assume that the price-tag can't be too high for what he is looking for.

Last season the Kings added Yushkevich, but he didn't work out as planned... and since losing Boucher, they are still looking to fill his void by adding another physical, defensive minded defender... so I'd like to get an idea of what is out there that is attainable.

Frolov 11-28-2003 08:48 AM

Is Zhitnik available?

Burke's Evil Spirit 11-28-2003 08:53 AM

Jason Smith for Joe Corvo.

Ruckus007 11-28-2003 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frolov
Is Zhitnik available?

Not unless the Sabres are out of contention come deadline time. He's playing his best hockey in a while.

Does Brian Campbell have the "bite" Taylor wants? I'm guessing not. McKee could probably be had if you're willing to take on an injured player (insert requisite Kings joke here). All in all I doubt Buffalo's a trade partner in all this unless the Kings are interested in Biron.

kacz 11-28-2003 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit

oilers pass

Legionnaire 11-28-2003 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit

Great trade for Vancouver :joker:

Darth Milbury 11-28-2003 09:03 AM

The Kings could probably have Eric Cairns for a 7th or 8th round pick.

Ziggy Stardust 11-28-2003 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
The Kings could probably have Eric Cairns for a 7th or 8th round pick.

That sounds reasonable... but aren't the Islanders themselves looking to add one more dman to round out their top six? I noticed Timander was called up and sent back down.
Also isn't Cairns known to be slow-footed? I know he is on Jagr's list of players he doesn't like to play against... kinda like Kevin Haller was with Gretz.

As for McKee... I know he is on IR currently and he isn't too happy with Lindy Ruff... would a 3rd round or later pick and a prospect be enough for him or would a body be needed in return?

Face Wash 11-28-2003 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
That sounds reasonable... but aren't the Islanders themselves looking to add one more dman to round out their top six? I noticed Timander was called up and sent back down.
Also isn't Cairns known to be slow-footed? I know he is on Jagr's list of players he doesn't like to play against... kinda like Kevin Haller was with Gretz.

As for McKee... I know he is on IR currently and he isn't too happy with Lindy Ruff... would a 3rd round or later pick and a prospect be enough for him or would a body be needed in return?

I'd just as soon use Kuznetsov and wait until Norton gets back.

Kings need help everywhere at the current. Not just on their backline. 6 of their top 12 forwards are out including their top 4 offensive players.

Frankly, a larger deal involving a top prospect (other than Frolov or Gleason) a high pick (first or second), a midlevel pick (5th or 6th) as well as a guy like Corvo who is a solid player with good offensive skills could maybe get the Kings Comrie and a toughminded defenseman from EDM.

I say they kill two birds with one stone. They need more than just a "biting defenseman".

Ozy_Flame 11-28-2003 09:39 AM

No dice on the Edmonton deal. Why would the Oilers give up a defenseman when their primary concern is getting one? That makes zero sense. Look elsewhere if you want a dman.

On a similar note, Denis Gauthier could be had from Calgary, I imagine.

Face Wash 11-28-2003 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
No dice on the Edmonton deal. Why would the Oilers give up a defenseman when their primary concern is getting one? That makes zero sense. Look elsewhere if you want a dman.

On a similar note, Denis Gauthier could be had from Calgary, I imagine.

My point mainly was, the Kings need more help than just a D-Man. They need offensive help as well. And the best way to do it is to get both with one deal. Unless a three-way deal is to be worked out... but I doubt it would be with CAL and EDM.

Malefic74 11-28-2003 09:52 AM

For the right deal you could probably pry Rivet out of Montreal. Say either Laperriere and a mid-round pick. There's also Dykhuis and Traverse as well.

Darth Milbury 11-28-2003 09:55 AM

Quote:

Cairns is very slow,and not particularly smart. But, he is tough and a reasonable #6 guy.

Timander was called up when Martinek got hurt. Timander is the opposite of Cairns, mobile but not very tough. Again, could be had for next to nothing.

Obviously these are depth guys that you would acquire because they don't cost much.

Mizral 11-28-2003 09:56 AM

I'm glad Kings fans realize this. The Kings D has been not nearly tough enough over the years. Norstrom & Miller are both strong guys, but neither are the most aggressive guys around, and they can't do it all.

Modry is a *****cat and a giveaway machine. Vishnovsky is slightly better, but still weak by defenseman standards these days. Gleason is still very young.

Here's an idea: Trade for one of the Habs defenseman. Craig Rivet could be had for nothing probobly, and Sheldon Souray would be slightly more expensive, but probobly worth the price.

Ruckus007 11-28-2003 10:01 AM

Quote:

Hate to give you a weak answer like this, but it's all going to depend on the prospect. I'm certainly interested though.

barnaby63 11-28-2003 10:19 AM

the kings can have dale purinton for a 5th round pick. he is a good stay-at-home 6th defenseman who makes about 425,000 this season and is a true enforcer.

Frolov 11-28-2003 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnaby63
the kings can have dale purinton for a 5th round pick. he is a good stay-at-home 6th defenseman who makes about 425,000 this season and is a true enforcer.

Coach won't let his defenseman fight or take stupid penalties. Kings will pass.

Kings don't need waiverwire defenseman. We need a top 4 defenseman who can log 20 minutes a night. Guys like Hamerlik and Zhitnik.

Habsfunk 11-28-2003 10:23 AM

Rivet is available for fairly little if you don't mind taking on his contract. A cheaper solution would be picking up Karl Dykhuis. Word has it he's basically been too good for the AHL but the Habs won't call him up. He could probably be had for future considerations.

Ziggy Stardust 11-28-2003 10:26 AM

Rivet's contract is a bit too much to handle for the Kings... but Souray definately would be someone the Kings could use.
I know he can drop the gloves when called upon, and looks like he's added offense to his game this season. Has the wrist injury affected his game at all... does he still play with an edge?

As for Purinton... I'm not sure the Kings want to add a dman who is going to spend more time in the penalty box. His toughness would be a welcome addition, but they need a dman who will be on the ice for 18 mins rather than sitting.

Ziggy Stardust 11-28-2003 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frolov
Coach won't let his defenseman fight or take stupid penalties. Kings will pass.

Kings don't need waiverwire defenseman. We need a top 4 defenseman who can log 20 minutes a night. Guys like Hamerlik and Zhitnik.

The problem is... what do they offer to get a Hamrlik? I don't think they have what it takes to acquire a dman of his value.
I'd love to add a Gonchar or Hamrlik or Gauthier but... I seriously doubt the Kings have much to offer to entice.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 11-28-2003 10:37 AM

Tom Poti for Brian Boyle and a 2nd?

Ziggy Stardust 11-28-2003 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Tom Poti for Brian Boyle and a 2nd?

Nah... we got our own version of Poti here... his name is Modry.

btmarshall 11-28-2003 10:53 AM

Why would the Canadiens deal Souray?

Munchausen 11-28-2003 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizral
Sheldon Souray would be slightly more expensive, but probobly worth the price.

Define slightly.

No point for the Habs to trade their #1 Dman unless the other team overpays.

membleypeg 11-28-2003 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face Wash
My point mainly was, the Kings need more help than just a D-Man. They need offensive help as well. And the best way to do it is to get both with one deal. Unless a three-way deal is to be worked out... but I doubt it would be with CAL and EDM.

Would the Kings be interested in Slegr + Ruutu? They could probably be had for a good prospect. Slegr is under utilized by Vancouver however, he is capable of playing 20 minutes a game as a # 4 or # 5 guy on many teams.