HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Kovalev is Terrible (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=319676)

Good Time Hutchy 12-07-2006 11:03 PM

Kovalev is Terrible

He plays with no heart. He floats around the ice like hes out for a moning skate. I think he picked up the lazy habits from playing with Mario. Mario got away with it cause he was scoring 3 points a game. Gainey should do everything with in his power to shift him out for a second line center.

BORAT 12-07-2006 11:11 PM

he had a good game

hototogisu 12-07-2006 11:17 PM

Great first post, your positivity and optimism is a breath of fresh air around thse parts.

Habs 12-07-2006 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Good Time Hutchy (Post 7292723)
He plays with no heart. He floats around the ice like hes out for a moning skate. I think he picked up the lazy habits from playing with Mario. Mario got away with it cause he was scoring 3 points a game. Gainey should do everything with in his power to shift him out for a second line center.

He was one of the best players on the ice tonight. Can you perhaps come up with something a little more original, than the cliche's you throw around?

DicAnns 12-07-2006 11:32 PM

are you saying Lemieux was lazy? :loony:

EDIT: oh! it was a joke? you should have put a " :sarcasm: "... :teach:

Mr. Hab 12-07-2006 11:54 PM

Quote:

The expression on Kovy's face...that's just the way he is! (most of the time). He's a winner (he shows up BIG TIME for playoffs & he'll help us -most of the time!- during the season).

And, we also know he delivers with Koivu (always an option for Carbo...later, but Koivu and Kovy are together on PP, so that's great).

And...remember how we got Kovalev? For Josef Balej (who BTW I thought was a super prospect at the time, so did the Rangers!). We have stolen (gave up nothing) Kovalev from the Rangers (+ it's good Kovy re-signed with us...).

I'm glad we have Kovalev...playoff time I'm sure you'll be too (he's an absolute key player, veteran sniper in playoffs).

Samsonov is more of a concern...it's probably time to separate Kovy and Samsonov.
Samsonov is still very young and talented, just needs to find chemistry with linemates...(Pleks & Lats? Higgins & Lats? Pleks & Higgins? Higgins as center & Ryder?, etc...).

Don't worry about Kovy...be happy:);):amazed:

Marc-E- 12-07-2006 11:58 PM

Quote:

That's not truth. You don't know your hockey. A guy of his caliber is priceless; you don't even know how he's checking; it's easy to say he's lazy. The other team is always on their toes when he's on the ice. You need an elite player to play with; it's pretty simple; his best days was with Jagr. Play him with a Sakic, a Fedorov and you have an another player. With Koivu he acts like a king pin. Playy him with Koivu and you will have positive results; I swear...like the moon in stars...I swear...:nopity:

guapo23 12-08-2006 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 7292867)
Great first post, your positivity and optimism is a breath of fresh air around thse parts.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:
:yo: :yo:
:bow: :bow:
:clap: :clap:

Stradale 12-08-2006 12:31 AM

Kovalev has a huge impact on the team. He's the key player on the powerplay. He can keep the puck on open ice like no else can do.

habitforming 12-08-2006 12:53 AM

Quote:

Wow . . . . well . . . . pretty guttsy (or not), for a first post - gotta give you that at least.

:biglaugh:

Good Time Hutchy 12-08-2006 02:28 AM

I would like to thank everyone for there suppport :clap:
I like Kovy. At times, he is amazing. But his attitude is *****. He is decent on the powerplay but his back checking is horrible. At 4.5 million, he should be busting his @$$ in the defensive zone, not floating back like a ballerina. If you really think we are going to win the cup with this Russion egocentric wannabe superstar, I suggest putting down the crack pipe and taking a hit of reality. I have confidence in Gainey. He got rid of Theos crazy salary so I am sure he can get rid of Kovys.

Hackett 12-08-2006 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Good Time Hutchy (Post 7293766)
I like Kovy. At times, he is amazing. But his attitude is *****. He is decent on the powerplay but his back checking is horrible. At 4.5 million, he should be busting his @$$ in the defensive zone, not floating back like a ballerina. If you really think we are going to win the cup with this Russion egocentric wannabe superstar, I suggest putting down the crack pipe and taking a hit of reality. I have confidence in Gainey. He got rid of Theos crazy salary so I am sure he can get rid of Kovys.

Yes, Kovalev can be frustrating to watch.

But you have remind yourself that kovalev is decent playoff performer. It seems that when the chips are down come playoff time, he steps his game up.

Whether you look at the three playoff series that kovalev has participated in with montreal or his time with the pens or rangers, he really excels in the playoffs.

If the habs are going anywhere deep in the playoffs, you can bet that kovalev will be an integral part of that. That's how good he can be. Lets see how he does as we near the spring time. If he continues his stellar play in the playoffs, we will completely forget how kovalev was playing on december 7

Tuggy 12-08-2006 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs (Post 7292892)
He was one of the best players on the ice tonight.

Agreed. Best game in a little while for AK27.

!nkubus 12-08-2006 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuggy (Post 7294059)
Agreed. Best game in a little while for AK27.

He played half of the game with Koivu this is why :yo:

mikeg 12-08-2006 06:39 AM

As much as I want to jump all over him and rag on him... it's painfully obvious that he is playing injured. The question is, how severe is his injury, and if it needs to be fixed, how long will he be out?

I suspect that when Higgins comes back, we just might see Kovalev take himself out and go under the knife.

mike

mcphee 12-08-2006 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Good Time Hutchy (Post 7293766)

I like Kovalev, though I've been critical of his habit of giving up on the play lately.

So, if you like the guy, I'd be interested in your impression of players you don't like.

I'm not sure what his salary has to do with it. Is Kovalev different now than he has ever been ? If Mtl offers him a good contract, he should become a different player ?
You have confidence in Gainey, but didn't Gainey commit that ammount of $ to the 2 players, which way is it ?

Paxton Fettel 12-08-2006 06:59 AM

The playoffs haven't started yet.

canadian_man_44 12-08-2006 08:06 AM

Kovalev has been guilty from time to time of giving up on the play, however, this is a terrible thread to even think of starting after the game he had last night. He played most of the time when he was on the ice and a couple times stopped a good scoring chance by NY with strong backchecking. He could be playing hurt, I don't know. The point is he contributes pretty much every game and there's not too many players that have his ability to control the puck along the boards. Aside from a brain cramp once in awhile, which every player will have one and a while, he's a stellar performer.

Our team sits in third place in the conference and our goalie is tied for the best save percentage in the league. Quit complaining and just enjoy the game.

Mikhail Grabovsky* 12-08-2006 08:11 AM

I smell nothing good coming from this thread...time for LOCKDOWN..
OBTW, Great 2nd post...:shakehead

pavlako11 12-08-2006 08:23 AM

Do you actually watch Kovalev?

Look when he gets the puck in the offensive zone, the defenders actually take a STEP BACK. That's the respect of his skills that the other players show this guy. Okay, he might not be perfect but he's still the most dangerous guy with the puck on our team and the other teams know that and it shows.

Turbo 12-08-2006 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee (Post 7294116)
I like Kovalev, though I've been critical of his habit of giving up on the play lately.

So, if you like the guy, I'd be interested in your impression of players you don't like.

I'm not sure what his salary has to do with it. Is Kovalev different now than he has ever been ? If Mtl offers him a good contract, he should become a different player ?
You have confidence in Gainey, but didn't Gainey commit that ammount of $ to the 2 players, which way is it ?

That line is pure gold, McPhee! :bow:

I didn't know you starting smoking the crack pipe either - guess it keeps the escaping sheep troubles from becoming too overwhelming. You learn something new about your fellow posters everyday!

Honestly, I think Kovalev is a guy who's getting paid exactly what he's worth. He's not a superstar, so he's not getting the $5-6M salary a star has, mainly because he doesn't present himself at all occasions. But he's just below that, because when he does decide to show up, he's a game breaker among the best. It's not like Gainey didn't know that when he signed him.

One thing that bugs me is how Russian nationality gets brought into the picture when people need to criticize him or his other country mates. Can we not criticize the player for himself and not take an entire nationality/race/people down with him as well?

Canadian_Brewtality 12-08-2006 08:43 AM

Every night we have the same threads. Are habs fans that dumb and repetitious? Cmon man. Its been the same story over and over with this guy.

Most talented and most underacheiving. End of story.

SOLR 12-08-2006 08:56 AM

Kovy's season always starts in january.

!nkubus 12-08-2006 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOLR (Post 7294683)
Kovy's season always starts in january.

so true

:clap:

mcphee 12-08-2006 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo (Post 7294587)
That line is pure gold, McPhee! :bow:

I didn't know you starting smoking the crack pipe either - guess it keeps the escaping sheep troubles from becoming too overwhelming. You learn something new about your fellow posters everyday!

Honestly, I think Kovalev is a guy who's getting paid exactly what he's worth. He's not a superstar, so he's not getting the $5-6M salary a star has, mainly because he doesn't present himself at all occasions. But he's just below that, because when he does decide to show up, he's a game breaker among the best. It's not like Gainey didn't know that when he signed him.

One thing that bugs me is how Russian nationality gets brought into the picture when people need to criticize him or his other country mates. Can we not criticize the player for himself and not take an entire nationality/race/people down with him as well?

It's always interesting to see which nationalities you can malign and which you can't. Kind of a political weather beacon. As long as we can agree to pick on the Huns [sorry Istvan]

I heard Melnick talking about Kovalev, not sure which day it was, he was saying how with AK, what you see is what you get. The head shaking skill you sometimes see, the head shaking lackadaiscal play, it's always been there. You either take it or leave it, and I guess, I'd choose to take it. Getting what you want out of him is a coaching challenge/headache, but there isn't anything new going on.

Did you notice last night on a couple of occasions, he reached with one hand and took the puck away from a d man ? You see stuff nobody else can do, then he does stuff you don't want anybody to do. Frustrating/Entertaining, what's new ?

One thing I noticed last night, and maybe this is better suited to the thread about line combos, but I get the definite impression that the whole 2nd line fiasco has gotten into Plekanec's head. I don't like to start conspiacy theories, or jump to conclusions, but I thought Pleks had decided ' the hell with it, I'm not giving these guys the puck, they're playing like crap and I'm taking the blame' It seemed that he just wasn't going to pass to his wingers. If I'm right, I'd think it has already been adressed, you just can't have that.