HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How many prospects will make the Habs next year? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=319752)

NoKtUrN 12-08-2006 07:41 AM

How many prospects will make the Habs next year?

How many prospects you guys think can step up and make the Habs next year considering we will loose alot of players to free agency? Please name the prospects you think will make the team.

Tuggy 12-08-2006 07:41 AM

2 tops.

VGTvidz 12-08-2006 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuggy (Post 7294307)
2 tops.

I also think about 2 prospects but that's not enough, we need Lapierre/Kosti/Grabov

NoKtUrN 12-08-2006 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VGTvidz (Post 7294319)
I also think about 2 prospects but that's not enough, we need Lapierre/Kosti/Grabov

What about the Ds? Cote, Obyrne, will they be ready, anybody else on D would be ready?

HomaridII 12-08-2006 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoKtUrN (Post 7294305)
How many prospects you guys think can step up and make the Habs next year considering we will loose alot of players to free agency? Please name the prospects you think will make the team.

3 ... Emelin, Gravorsky and Danis backing up Huet.

Madevilz 12-08-2006 07:45 AM

I dont see Bonk, Jonhson, Downey, Niinimma and Souray resigning.

I think Lapierre and Kost will probably have a shot. Cote will probably be the 7th defenseman.

Habruti! 12-08-2006 07:46 AM

It all depends on how many D we loose...? Will we resign Bonk/Johson, etc...

HomaridII 12-08-2006 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madevilz (Post 7294332)

I think Lapierre and Kost will probably have a shot. Cote will probably be the 7th defenseman.

Kost is just like Latendresse, if you want him to play well, he needs a top 2 lines spot, plain and simple. He is 100% useless on a 3rd or 4rd line because he isn't physical, isn't a defensive forward and isn't a corners player. Saying Kost will be a shot assumes you are losing 2 top 2 lines players, otherwise you have...

Koivu
Higgins
Latendresse
Kovalev
Samsonov
Ryder

2nd line Center right now Plekanec

7 people already for 6 spots... can't give Kost a shot. Gravorksy could take the 2nd line center spot, dropping Plekanec and there not increasing the battle for spots.

Tuggy 12-08-2006 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madevilz (Post 7294332)

I actually think there is a decent chance both Bonk and Johnson re-sign.

kostitsyn1489 12-08-2006 07:57 AM

I vote 4... Kost/Grabo/Lapierre/Chipchura at least 2 of them will make the team. A Back-up goalie and one defensemen.

Tuggy 12-08-2006 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 (Post 7294390)
I vote 4... Kost/Grabo/Lapierre/Chipchura at least 2 of them will make the team. A Back-up goalie and one defensemen.

I didn't really think of the backup goalie when I said 2...but ya either Danis/Halak will be on the team next year.

Guy Caballero 12-08-2006 08:09 AM

I voted 2 but forgot Grabovsky, so 3, including Kostitsyn and Lappierre. Bye-bye Murray or Downey or both.

IcE ColD 12-08-2006 08:16 AM

I voted 2. Kost and Grabo.

But it may be 4, with Lapierre and Emelin (if he comes over here).

JeromeHP 12-08-2006 08:22 AM

I say 3 lappy grabo kosty but i will not be surprised if kosty get deal for a young defensemen

Quiet Robert 12-08-2006 08:27 AM

To me, it really depends on how our UFA problem gets resolved.

Everyone is drooling over Lapierre and most of it seems legitimate, but it seems our 2004 first round draft pick is getting overlooked. 14 points in 23 games in the AHL, excellent defensive player, leadership and maturity beyond his years etc...It's not out of the question to think Chipper makes a serious push for a spot next year.

Defensively maybe Cote gets the no.7 spot. I don't know the situation with Emelin, and I haven't seen him since the WJC but I liked what I saw and I'd like to see him come over. My guess is he's going to be the type of guy who only comes over if he's guaranteed an NHL spot. There might not be a whole lot of room for him next year, even if we only resign 2 of our big UFAs. Who knows though, maybe he'll beat one of Streit or Bouillon if he comes over.

Also we might see Danis or Halak push for a backup spot next year if we don't resign Aebischer.

Then you've got the usual suspects like Kost and Grabs who might get a chance at the bigs. I suspect guys like Locke, Ferland, Milroy etc...might get one final serious consideration before being getting the "career minor leaguer" tags. Which is unfortunate, especially for a guy like Ferland who I've really liked so far.

There might be a huge turnover from this year's roster if the UFA situation goes south and/or management feels a lot of the kids are ready. Then again, there could also be very few spots available if Bonk/Johnson and any combo of Markov/Souray/Rivet are resigned.

Slew Foots 12-08-2006 08:32 AM

Good question. Obviously, it depends on how many of our impending free agents (restricted and unrestricted) we can fit under the cap.

I won't break the numbers down player by player (even though it would be fun...to me anyway)...I have no time cuz the market is about to open.

Two prospects make the team: Lapierre and Grabovski.

Emelin will start off in the AHL to get acclimatized to N. America (if we can even get him across the pond).

I suspect Kostitsyn will have already made the Habs full-time before the end of this year...

NoKtUrN 12-08-2006 08:57 AM

The ones that stand a chance are the following:

Emelin
Dannis or Halak (only one of them)
Grabovski
Kostitsyn
Lapierre
Cote
Obyrne
Chipchura

Do you guys see anybody else that stands a chance? Or is there anybody in that list that does not stand a chance at all?

Dan K 12-08-2006 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoKtUrN (Post 7294693)
The ones that stand a chance are the following:

Emelin
Dannis or Halak (only one of them)
Grabovski
Kostitsyn
Lapierre
Cote
Obyrne
Chipchura

Do you guys see anybody else that stands a chance? Or is there anybody in that list that does not stand a chance at all?

Jonathan Ferland will come into camp again battling for a 4th line job. I think he's the only one you missed, unless Duncan Milroy continues lighting up the AHL all year this year, then has a very good camp next Fall.

mcphee 12-08-2006 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IcE ColD (Post 7294485)
I voted 2. Kost and Grabo.

But it may be 4, with Lapierre and Emelin (if he comes over here).

Same for me, I voted 2, thinking Kostitsyn's here or gone, Lapierre, but I forgot Grabovski and a goalie. I'll stay with 2, some of these guys may finish the year in Mtl.

Habitants 12-08-2006 10:11 AM

well it will depend on if we can retain our 3 ufa D and if gainey decides to keep bonk.at the rate he is playing, now i see why gainey wanted him. for sure one new forward will come up in place of player who has left or downey/murray replacement. imo abby is likely gone, so it might be:

Danis/Halak
Kost/Grabo
Chipchura/Lapierre
Emilin/cote/O'byrne

for sure 2-4 , so i will have to pick 4 i guess

Dr_Hook 12-08-2006 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 (Post 7294390)

Chipchura won't be there, no chance ! He's at least another year away.

I'd say Grabo and Lapierre for sure, AKost (if he isn't traded, which wouldn't surprised me), and maybe Emelin, maybe Côté, depending what happens with our UFAs. Maybe Danis too if he has a good year, but I wouldn't bet on it; I say Halak stays with the Dog for one more year.

I'm gonna say 4

mtl_felix 12-08-2006 12:16 PM

Grabovski - Kostitstyn
Ferland/Lapierre

3!

Nova_Scotia_Vees 12-08-2006 12:20 PM

i'd say just Kostitsyn

ForsbergForever 12-08-2006 12:25 PM

Kostitsyn and Grabovsky, Chipchura seems to need more time to get his game in top form before he's ready for prime time.

Edit: Now that I think about it O'Byrne may not be that far off becoming a regular Habs' blueliner with all the expected turnover in that dept. Imagine Komisarek and O'Byrne on the ice together!

Habsfan18 12-08-2006 01:01 PM

doesn't Emelin still have another year on his contract in Europe?