HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Seidenberg record setter (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=32006)

panayiotis 11-29-2003 11:07 AM

Seidenberg record setter

Does anyone know who holds the Phantoms record for scoring by a defensemen? I think it might be Mark Eaton! Seidenberg might destroy that record this year.

John Flyers Fan 11-29-2003 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panayiotis
Does anyone know who holds the Phantoms record for scoring by a defensemen? I think it might be Mark Eaton! Seidenberg might destroy that record this year.

65 by Jamie Heward in 97-98

bobbyboucher24 11-30-2003 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
65 by Jamie Heward in 97-98

With the boatload of NHL defensemen the Flyers have, they should be OK if any injuries occur (knock on wood). Marcus was a healthy scratch last night, and Dennis can't even crack the lineup when he played so much last year. And some people thought Woywitka could have made the team. Not too shabby.

Cross Out The Eyes* 11-30-2003 12:39 PM

Ragnarsson was NOT a healthy scratch.

He stayed back in Philly awaiting the birth of his second child.

MojoJojo 12-01-2003 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cross Out The Eyes
Ragnarsson was NOT a healthy scratch.

He stayed back in Philly awaiting the birth of his second child.

That means he was a healthy scratch.

You dont have to be in the coaches dog house to be a healthy scratch. You just need to be healthy, not playing, and not sent down to the AHL.

FlyersFan10* 12-01-2003 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyboucher24
With the boatload of NHL defensemen the Flyers have, they should be OK if any injuries occur (knock on wood). Marcus was a healthy scratch last night, and Dennis can't even crack the lineup when he played so much last year. And some people thought Woywitka could have made the team. Not too shabby.

Let's be honest though. The only reason why Woywitka and Seidenberg aren't playing with the big club is simply politics. Woywitka and Seidenberg would be playing if Clarke hadn't handed out large deals to Weinrich, Ragnarsson, and Therien. Don't get me wrong, I like Weinrich, but he isn't a 2 or 2.5 million per year defensemen. Ragnarsson is definitely not a 3.5 million per year defenseman and Therien isn't worth the 2 million a year he's making. However, those three have to play in order to justify giving them the rediculous deals they got. If they didn't get signed to those big deals, Seidenberg and Woywitka play with the team. However, I'm glad to see that they aren't being rushed. We're going to have one hell of an awesome defense core in a couple of years (I'm thinking two to three years) and it's great that they are getting a lot of playing time with the Phantoms. I know there has been great discussion about Woywitka's lack of offense right now, but give it time as it will come. I know there was concern with Barrett Jackman's offense as well, but we all know how well he turned out.

bobbyboucher24 12-01-2003 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Let's be honest though. The only reason why Woywitka and Seidenberg aren't playing with the big club is simply politics. Woywitka and Seidenberg would be playing if Clarke hadn't handed out large deals to Weinrich, Ragnarsson, and Therien. Don't get me wrong, I like Weinrich, but he isn't a 2 or 2.5 million per year defensemen. Ragnarsson is definitely not a 3.5 million per year defenseman and Therien isn't worth the 2 million a year he's making. However, those three have to play in order to justify giving them the rediculous deals they got. If they didn't get signed to those big deals, Seidenberg and Woywitka play with the team. However, I'm glad to see that they aren't being rushed. We're going to have one hell of an awesome defense core in a couple of years (I'm thinking two to three years) and it's great that they are getting a lot of playing time with the Phantoms. I know there has been great discussion about Woywitka's lack of offense right now, but give it time as it will come. I know there was concern with Barrett Jackman's offense as well, but we all know how well he turned out.

I actually agree with you. I wasn't implying that the kids aren't playing because they're not good. We saw what Dennis could do last year, and in most other scenarios on other teams, he would be up with the NHL team. Jeff on the other hand, on other teams he might as well be in the AHL right now for nothing other than to get acclimated to a more advanced level of play. Both should be on an NHL club next season barring any setbacks. I was simply stating that the coach is more comfortanle with veterans than young guys. Yes, the large contracts play a part whether the vets will be on the team or not, but Hitchcock does prefer veterans from his coaching tenure.

Larry44 12-01-2003 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
That means he was a healthy scratch.

You dont have to be in the coaches dog house to be a healthy scratch. You just need to be healthy, not playing, and not sent down to the AHL.

Talk about missing the point.

John Flyers Fan 12-02-2003 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Let's be honest though. The only reason why Woywitka and Seidenberg aren't playing with the big club is simply politics. Woywitka and Seidenberg would be playing if Clarke hadn't handed out large deals to Weinrich, Ragnarsson, and Therien.

Politics has nothing to do with it.

As of right now our defenseman would be ranked

1. Desjardins
2. Johnsson
3. Ragnarsson
4. Weinrich
5. Pitkanen
6. Therien
7. Vandermeer
8. Woywitka
9. Seidenberg

The top 6 are playing. For a stretch Vandermeer was outplaying Therien, but the last 4-6 weeks Therien has been the better player and is in the line-up on a regular basis as he should be.

Could the Flyers play this season with the following defenseman:
Desjardins, Johnsson, Pitkanen, Vandermeer, Seidenberg, and Woywitka

Yes, we could, but then instead of battling for the top seed in the Eastern Conference we would be battling for the 8th seed in the East.

MojoJojo 12-02-2003 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
As of right now our defenseman would be ranked

1. Desjardins
2. Johnsson
3. Ragnarsson
4. Weinrich
5. Pitkanen
6. Therien
7. Vandermeer
8. Woywitka
9. Seidenberg

The top 6 are playing. For a stretch Vandermeer was outplaying Therien, but the last 4-6 weeks Therien has been the better player and is in the line-up on a regular basis as he should be.

I agree, though I would put Seidenberg before Woywitka, since Seidenberg seems to be playing better in the Phantoms.

As far as Therien-Vandermeer, why not rotate three or four defensemen? Let Ragnarson and Weinrich occasionally sit out a game, and split the rest between Therien and Vandermeer. Though Therien has played better than Vandy, Vandermeer is a future asset, and giving him time to develop will pay dividends when, for example, we get to the playoffs and one of our top four gets injured.

John Flyers Fan 12-02-2003 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
I agree, though I would put Seidenberg before Woywitka, since Seidenberg seems to be playing better in the Phantoms.

As far as Therien-Vandermeer, why not rotate three or four defensemen? Let Ragnarson and Weinrich occasionally sit out a game, and split the rest between Therien and Vandermeer. Though Therien has played better than Vandy, Vandermeer is a future asset, and giving him time to develop will pay dividends when, for example, we get to the playoffs and one of our top four gets injured.

Seidenberg is putting up more points, but in the few games I have seen Woywitka has looked more impressive. Steadier in his own end, makes very good outlet passes. Uses his size well.

I would not sit Ragnarsson or Weinrich if healthy, but I would give the occasional night off if they were suffering from any minor injuries.

Therien & Vandermeer should be played based on merit and competition.