HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Impressions on Johan Holmqvist... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=32131)

thestonedkoala 11-29-2003 10:17 PM

Impressions on Johan Holmqvist...

I'm curious to know why the Rangers never really used Holmqvist (I can't remember if he was called up when Richter went down and the gap in between getting Dunham and Blackburn playing by himself).

He seems to be having a melt down in Houston because of the fact that they SUCK this year with a bunch of rookies and no good veterans helping them.

Would he make a solid backup?

#37-#93-#27* 11-29-2003 10:55 PM

Sather playing youth, unproven youth in goal while fighting for a playoff spot? no chance

He always seemed to be good based on stats just never got a shot so I really don't know what to say about him.

thestonedkoala 11-29-2003 10:58 PM

Thanks...again this is before they were even looking at fighting for a playoff spot I believe. Might be wrong. Holmqvist also I believe the write up on him was that he was the goalie of the future for the Rangers but ended up losing to Blackburn, which is very, very explainable. I'm just curious to know how far Holmqvist dropped and why. I mean we gave up Nycholat for him, nothing all spectaculor for a solid goalie.

#37-#93-#27* 11-29-2003 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Thanks...again this is before they were even looking at fighting for a playoff spot I believe. Might be wrong. Holmqvist also I believe the write up on him was that he was the goalie of the future for the Rangers but ended up losing to Blackburn, which is very, very explainable. I'm just curious to know how far Holmqvist dropped and why. I mean we gave up Nycholat for him, nothing all spectaculor for a solid goalie.

They were fighting for a playoff spot before the season started. Basing on what I read on Nycholat most recently in preseason, I would hardly say he's nothing spectacular then say Holmqvist is a solid goaltender.

thestonedkoala 11-29-2003 11:00 PM

Ah okay, I was getting confused.

#37-#93-#27* 11-29-2003 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Ah okay, I was getting confused.

I also don't believe he was ever considered their goaltender of the future for at least since he was still in Europe. If he did drop off it was because the organization just didn't see a future in him, drafting Blackburn would indicate that and last year, with Blackburn and probably Lundqvist ahead of him on the prospect chart, it's not very surprising he was traded.

LeServ 11-30-2003 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
I also don't believe he was ever considered their goaltender of the future for at least since he was still in Europe. If he did drop off it was because the organization just didn't see a future in him, drafting Blackburn would indicate that and last year, with Blackburn and probably Lundqvist ahead of him on the prospect chart, it's not very surprising he was traded.

I'd say he was briefly the goalie of the future, at least back when the Rangers traded Cloutier to move up and take Brendl :cry:

But then, Neil Smith was booted and Sather came in and p!$$ed on everything in the system up to that point. Holmqvist had to go because he was a Neil Smith pick.