HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Has Iginla Lost It???? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=32270)

Harry Paratestes 11-30-2003 02:51 PM

Has Iginla Lost It????

Ive watched quite a few of the Flames games on the dish this year and i like your team .However i cant help but wonder how good you would be if Iginla and Conroy were moved for some proven offence .
I love Iginla but to me he looks like hes lost it ..i mean i dont think he would even make Canadas roster if the Olympics were this year .And with his high salary , the Flames would have to option him at what 8.2 next yer ??//Can they afford that for basically a 20 goal scorer .
Aside from running over Cloutier last nite he did nothing to show me hes ready to break out ..what do you Flame fans think. I actually think you have a better chance at the playoffs than the under achieving Oilers do (my team ) sorry .

ForeignFlame 11-30-2003 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Paratestes
I love Iginla but to me he looks like hes lost it ..i mean i dont think he would even make Canadas roster if the Olympics were this year .And with his high salary , the Flames would have to option him at what 8.2 next yer ??//Can they afford that for basically a 20 goal scorer .

I think Iginla would need to be qualified at $7 million, as his salary is above the league average.

There has, however, been speculation that Iginla would be willing to sign an extention for less than that. Whether there's much truth to that, who knows?

vega007 11-30-2003 08:41 PM

Iginla is the face of the Flames. Every time he's on the ice there's two or three guys closing him down and hanging off his equipment. Give him a break. It's just a matter of time before the goals start flowing again.

kruezer 11-30-2003 08:45 PM

I don't know, I hope next time they can get him a bit cheaper, I've heard those rumors too ForeignFlame. But really I wouldn't trade him for the world (well you know what I mean, but the deal would have to bowl me over). I just think he is great no matter what the goal column says. I hope Sutter feels the same way, cause he chooses this not me. Put me down for not wanting him to ever be dealt.

Av-merican 11-30-2003 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vega007
Iginla is the face of the Flames. Every time he's on the ice there's two or three guys closing him down and hanging off his equipment. Give him a break. It's just a matter of time before the goals start flowing again.

Forwards half his size have the same problem. That's no excuse. There isn't the inferior linemates excuse either. Palffy gets the job done with AHL centers setting him up. I was willing to give him a pass for most of last season on account of him fighting injuries--he has no such pass this season.

I don't mind saying I've been terribly disappointed in Jarome this season. He's been completely invisible except for the times he runs at the goalie or picks a fight. I was hoping the Flames under Sutter would be far better than this and that Darryl would bring out the best in Iginla. This team lives and dies by his play, and right now, he's killing them. As much as we've seen pleasant surprises such as Matthew Lombardi, Iginla is indeed the face of this team. He's also the heart and soul of this team, and they'll never improve until he WAKES UP. :mad:

reg dunlop 12-01-2003 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Av-merican
Forwards half his size have the same problem. That's no excuse. There isn't the inferior linemates excuse either. Palffy gets the job done with AHL centers setting him up. I was willing to give him a pass for most of last season on account of him fighting injuries--he has no such pass this season.

I don't mind saying I've been terribly disappointed in Jarome this season. He's been completely invisible except for the times he runs at the goalie or picks a fight. I was hoping the Flames under Sutter would be far better than this and that Darryl would bring out the best in Iginla. This team lives and dies by his play, and right now, he's killing them. As much as we've seen pleasant surprises such as Matthew Lombardi, Iginla is indeed the face of this team. He's also the heart and soul of this team, and they'll never improve until he WAKES UP. :mad:

he doesnt seem to play with a lot of passion for a "power forward", when is the last time anyone saw him drive the net. he plays the outside perimeter game right now, he wont score too many goals shooting from the boards... i agree it is not his linemates, good players can play with almost anyone. a huge disappointment.

kruezer 12-01-2003 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reg dunlop
he doesnt seem to play with a lot of passion for a "power forward", when is the last time anyone saw him drive the net. he plays the outside perimeter game right now, he wont score too many goals shooting from the boards... i agree it is not his linemates, good players can play with almost anyone. a huge disappointment.

Watch the 'Nuck game, it was his best 'powerforward' game of the year, no matter how overrated that way of thinking can be.

Zhackpot 12-01-2003 11:14 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. until recently Iginla was just not skating hard in the offensive zone. If he proves he can do it consistently and not just for two games in a row then my assessment might change. In my mind his play has been below average.

Sec of Partying Down 12-02-2003 06:12 AM

The offense will come, Iginla is just way too talented for it not to. He has been getting chances it's just a matter of time before some start going in.

vega007 12-02-2003 05:49 PM

Iginla breaks out of his slump with a breakaway goal at the 'Dome.

Sec of Partying Down 12-02-2003 05:58 PM

Needs more than one goal to break out of his slump.

Big Deaner 12-02-2003 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_IN_LV
Needs more than one goal to break out of his slump.

How about an assist on an empty netter as well?

:dunno:

Reign Nateo 12-02-2003 10:41 PM

Secondarily I'm a Flames fan, but I do think Jarome Iginla is overrated. He is a 30 goal guy but not a 7-8 million dollar player in my opinion.

Redrum 12-03-2003 07:03 AM

I disagree, I think he could score 50 again. Look how many chances he gets, it's hard to believe he only has 5 goals.

reg dunlop 12-04-2003 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charon
I disagree, I think he could score 50 again. Look how many chances he gets, it's hard to believe he only has 5 goals.

it doesnt matter how many chances he gets, he doesnt bury them. i am a flames fan, and he is very overrated. 1 good year does not a superstar make.. when iginla had that breakout year, so did bertuzzi and naslund. difference being that naslund and bertuzzi continue to evolve and show that it is not a 1 year wonder... iginla might be the greatest guy around, but he is not even close to that 50 goal player of 2 years ago..... if the RIGHT deal came by, i would think they would have to trade him...

Sec of Partying Down 12-04-2003 08:09 AM

Quote:

it doesnt matter how many chances he gets, he doesnt bury them. i am a flames fan, and he is very overrated. 1 good year does not a superstar make.. when iginla had that breakout year, so did bertuzzi and naslund. difference being that naslund and bertuzzi continue to evolve and show that it is not a 1 year wonder... iginla might be the greatest guy around, but he is not even close to that 50 goal player of 2 years ago..... if the RIGHT deal came by, i would think they would have to trade him...

Wrong. Iginla has the talent to score 50 again, and will score 50 again. He scored 20 goals in 20 games last year. He is just a streaky player and goes through slumps and then gets unbelievably hot.

reg dunlop 12-04-2003 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Funny Man
He can score 50 if anyone else can.

i know he is streaky, but 50 goals gain, i dont think so... i think he will finish with about 30-32 goals... make your prediction. a good player, but not a superstar.. superstars are not this streaky..

looooob 12-04-2003 09:13 AM

Quote:

a few counterpoints to that might be that Bertuzzi and Naslund are both at least a few years older than Iginla, and they have each other to feed off of.I'm pretty sure if you looked at all 3 up to age 26(Iginla's current age), then Iginla has the best numbers.

Having said that it's been a worrisome trend for Iginla since his 'breakout year' and I'm not disputing he's currently overpaid for the production he has brought to the table this year.

I just have this feeling that by the time Iginla's career is over , he won't be looked at as a 30 goal guy who had 'one good year'....he's got more left in him....will they be in Calgary though?

Harry Paratestes 12-05-2003 06:56 PM

Looks like Iggy might be going on one of his tears ..5 points up on the Oil.

vega007 12-05-2003 07:05 PM

All the nay sayers and doubters can shut it, he's on a roll. This guy is the face of our team, show him some respect or he'll go ahead and sign with another team.

calder 12-05-2003 07:19 PM

I honestly believe Iggy has it in him to get another 45 goal/90 point season or two, but I do think it was a bit of a fluke that he won the scoring title. He'll put up great numbers like that again, but while I think he is (and will be again) a top 10 scorer he's not a pure enough offensive player to be a true Art Ross candidate except for that one year where it all fell together.

He's definitely heating up though, just in time keep the Flames excellent play going. It's probably not realistic to expect guys like Donovan to keep scoring like they have been (or Kipper to only let in 1 goal most nights), so if Iggy does get on a roll like he did the last half of last year the Flames should be able to keep up their winning ways.

For the first time in a decade I feel like this Flames team can find a way to win consistently. This team can come back from behind, they can win a tough, bruising defensive game with hustle, they can score in bunches every now and then. Things are really looking up, and I'm sure there will be the odd losing streak and bad game of course I am starting to get to the point where I expect rather than hope the Flames win more games than they lose. :handclap:

kruezer 12-05-2003 09:42 PM

Did anyone else read this article?

http://www.calgaryflames.com/cgi-bin...num=0000000025

"We are in the toughest division in hockey and we have 24 games in that division," noted Sutter. "But we are going to fight like hell to be one of the teams in the playoffs. That's our promise. It's not always going to be smooth sailing. But it is going to work. Believe me."

:handclap: I really agree with Sutter on this one, I couldn't have put it better myself :D

ModestoFan 12-07-2003 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kruezer
Did anyone else read this article?

http://www.calgaryflames.com/cgi-bin...num=0000000025

"We are in the toughest division in hockey and we have 24 games in that division," noted Sutter. "But we are going to fight like hell to be one of the teams in the playoffs. That's our promise. It's not always going to be smooth sailing. But it is going to work. Believe me."

:handclap: I really agree with Sutter on this one, I couldn't have put it better myself :D

As a longtime SJ fan, and inducted in Sutter philosophy as such, Iggy's numbers will drop. In fact, the team as a whole MIGHT score less. Nolan is perfect example of a PF under Sutter.

That said, I really kind of envy all of you. Sutter is a very good coach, and what he will continue to do is make players play TOUGH. If Calgary as a team buys into his system, you will make the playoffs. You have a good tender in Kiprusoff, and a decent line-up...and one heck of a coach.

Get ready for good, tough games, many of which you will win.

NOTE: It's no suprise to me, that Calgary is doing well. Now that the team has a keeper that can win for them, they'll be able to play more confident in Sutters bang and crach style. You beat us (SJ) te other night because of that alone.

I'll be watching...and smiling for ya :D

kruezer 12-08-2003 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModestoFan
As a longtime SJ fan, and inducted in Sutter philosophy as such, Iggy's numbers will drop. In fact, the team as a whole MIGHT score less. Nolan is perfect example of a PF under Sutter.

That said, I really kind of envy all of you. Sutter is a very good coach, and what he will continue to do is make players play TOUGH. If Calgary as a team buys into his system, you will make the playoffs. You have a good tender in Kiprusoff, and a decent line-up...and one heck of a coach.

Get ready for good, tough games, many of which you will win.

NOTE: It's no suprise to me, that Calgary is doing well. Now that the team has a keeper that can win for them, they'll be able to play more confident in Sutters bang and crach style. You beat us (SJ) te other night because of that alone.

I'll be watching...and smiling for ya :D

I can really agree, I still expect Iginla to put up the best numbers on the team, but they certainly won't be as high as before IMO. Maybe he can hang 'round 35-40 goals though. I am really happy to see some toughness for a change, I was sick of heartless hockey. I expect Sutter to become full-time GM in a couple of years, when its time for a new voice in the locker-room.

Sec of Partying Down 12-08-2003 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kruezer
I can really agree, I still expect Iginla to put up the best numbers on the team, but they certainly won't be as high as before IMO. Maybe he can hang 'round 35-40 goals though. I am really happy to see some toughness for a change, I was sick of heartless hockey. I expect Sutter to become full-time GM in a couple of years, when its time for a new voice in the locker-room.

I think we could see Playfair take over as early as next year.