HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What other teams do you cheer for? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=32379)

Habs 12-01-2003 12:24 AM

What other teams do you cheer for?

You are a Montreal fan, of course, but is there any other club that you follow?

I cheer for:

Vancouver
Los Angeles
Philly (It's a Recchi thing)

Just curious who you follow, if anyone.

Bud The Spud* 12-01-2003 01:00 AM

Ottawa and Vancouver

VirginiaMtlExpat 12-01-2003 01:12 AM

The Oilers and Vancouver. They play the kind of hockey I wish was more visible in the East, and they do it on a budget.

I fell in love with the Oilers during their powerhouse years in the 80's, after an Islanders dynasty which I felt played boring hockey, and with the Canucks during their finals against the Rangers, which I think was one of the more spectacular finals in memory.

Medicine Twin 12-01-2003 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JapanMontrealExpat
The Oilers and Vancouver. They play the kind of hockey I wish was more visible in the East, and they do it on a budget.

I fell in love with the Oilers during their powerhouse years in the 80's, after an Islanders dynasty which I felt played boring hockey, and with the Canucks during their finals against the Rangers, which I think was one of the more spectacular finals in memory.

For some reason, I've always liked the Blues and Oilers.

Catala 12-01-2003 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs

I cheer for:

Vancouver
Los Angeles

Even if they play one of the worse hockey i've seen so far, i'll still hope and follow them each games...

The only other teams i'm following are those having one of my fantasy players. i'm having a poor fantasy season... :cry:

Mike8 12-01-2003 02:06 AM

I'm a fan of players, rather than teams outside of Montreal....

I like to see Philly succeed because I like Recchi (hence the '8' in my nick), Weinrich, Handzus, Pitkanen and Roenick.

Same deal for Ottawa (Chara, Fisher)
NJ (Stevens, Madden, White)
St.Louis (Mellanby, Drake, Mayers, Jackman, Danton)
Toronto (Mogilny, Sundin, Roberts, Antropov)

etcetera. I would hate to see Toronto win the Cup, but I enjoy watching them play as they've assembled a likeable group of players.

I'd like to see Ottawa or St.Louis win the Cup this year. So I guess you can qualify me as a fan of those teams.

Malakhov 12-01-2003 02:55 AM

The Vancouver Canucks
Bertuzzi = :bow:

mommyslittlemonster 12-01-2003 03:17 AM

other teams

Every Canadian team except the LEAFS.

Marchy79 12-01-2003 04:00 AM

Edmonton Oilers and the LA Kings.

I too was a huge oiler fan in the Gretzky hey day, and Loved the Kings when he was there....

Both teams pale in comparison for my love for the Montreal Canadiens though... As I always was a hab fan first ;)

1993 was my favourite Stanley Cup win that I honestly remember :)

Was really upset in 89 though :cry:

Habber 12-01-2003 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malakhov
The Vancouver Canucks
Bertuzzi = :bow:

Me too!

Bertuzzi's my favorite player right now and I like watching the Nucks, Oil and Sens.

Mike The Wall 12-01-2003 05:07 AM

Detroit Red wings

Playr050 12-01-2003 06:15 AM

I'm in the same boat with Mike8. Certain players make me follow other teams.

Jeremy Roenick/Philly
Adam Foote, Dan Hinote/Colorado
Eric Messier/Florida
Scott Walker/Nashville
Wade Redden, Chris Phillips, Mike Fisher, Chris Neil, Shane Hnidy/Ottawa
Brian Rolston, Nick Boynton/Boston

I guess if I had a team that was #2 to the Habs, it'd be the Caps. I'm a hometown boy, so it would be wrong of me not to root for them. And the cup run in '98 was when I *really* got interested in hockey, so I can blame them for the hockey fever I can't rid myself of.

Dutchy 12-01-2003 06:28 AM

Canadian Teams (Minus Leafs)

And for some reason, I'm a fan of Chicago and Buffalo. Not a logical thing.

Russeltown 12-01-2003 06:33 AM

I cheer for Edmonton and Tampa Bay (Lecavalier, St.Louis, Richards, Boyle) :)

DJyellow 12-01-2003 06:33 AM

I cheer when the Leafs lose.

Orange 12-01-2003 06:37 AM

Always had a soft spot for Vancouver ...

TheCrazyGoalie 12-01-2003 06:58 AM

I also like the Oil. I never liked them in the Gretzky years. I started to like them in the mid 90's after they hit rock bottom. Always like the the fast, forcheck game!

Guy Caballero 12-01-2003 07:13 AM

The Devils. Even in the 80s, when they sucked.

I used to like the Hawks when Chelios and Larmer were there, and I like the Oil as well today (but I hated them when Messier was there). I also used to like the North Stars, but I didn't follow them to Dallas.

Basically, though, if any of these teams were in a game that affected the Habs' positioning in any way, needless to say I'd root against them.

Démon Blond 12-01-2003 07:15 AM

Avs (ex Nordiques), Ottawa and Vancouver

gunnerdom 12-01-2003 07:19 AM

My second favorite team used to be the Northstars. I even have the old green jersey with the big N in front. I also like The Oilers and The Canucks. Like their style of hockey. I've always been fond of The Blues too. I hate Toronto and New York... really hate them!

Darz 12-01-2003 07:33 AM

I hate every team in the league outside of the habs. Obviously there are teams I hate more than others (Leafs, Bruins), but I've never cheered for another team unless in some way it can help out the habs.

AK-47 12-01-2003 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs

I cheer for:

Vancouver
Los Angeles

What? The habs aren't alone in this league.

I could care less for the 29 other teams in the league. Honestly, I hate them. Just like Darz, i'll take for another team only if it helps my habs.

HabSim 12-01-2003 08:19 AM

Ottawa (Hossa)

Vancouver (Naslund, Sedin twins)
Edmonton (don't know why :P they look like the habs)
Calgary (Conroy, Gélinas, Donovan)

Not the leafs!

Munchausen 12-01-2003 08:46 AM

I like open, fast-paced, exciting and physical hockey

So Edmonton and Vancouver are two teams I particularly enjoy to watch for that. They are fast and tough teams (as a whole) which always seems to make for an interesting 2h30 of hockey. I like how those teams were built, no soft fillers, no expensive 3rd and 4th liners, hard workers, fast players willing to hustle their way back to victory (when was the last time the Habs came back from behind to win?). They both have loads of character and it always make for memorable hockey, especially during playoff time.

Also, I've become a Nashville fan recently, well fan might be too strong of a word, but I like to see them play, a bit because they have a bunch of tough hard workers in there too but mostly because I'm Tootoo's #1 fan. I've always liked this guy so much. To me he's the best energy player in the NHL (as no other comes even close to have his determination and intensity on the ice). Reckless player that will melt the ice in the most boring games to bring back a bit of life in his team, he'll become one of the most hated player among players in the NHL pretty soon but is of course already a fan favorite. Sometimes those guys are more important for the win than a good scorer, just because he can spark any team to the collective hustle it'll take to win. I was so disapointed we could not get him in the 4th round of the 2001 draft (we got Jarventie) as I would have loved to have him on this team (and still do). He's also a great guy with strong values and a solid head on his shoulders. I admire him as an individual for what he went through in his life (suicide of his brother, 1st Inuit born NHL player, beats the size factor, etc.) and love him as a player. Again, Tootoo's #1 fan.

KOMO_ROCKS 12-01-2003 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud The Spud
Ottawa and Vancouver

I like those teams as well....exciting brand of hockey with so much skill ;)