HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Stick length. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=326582)

#2eddieshore 12-29-2006 10:39 AM

Stick length.

Im 6,5 and would like to know what stick length i should have. At the moment my stick is about 1 inch lower than my chin. Is that okay or should i put a butt end in?

Thanks for any info.

Greeneye 12-29-2006 02:12 PM

It's personal preference really. Most people say your stick should come up to your chin with your skates on. Mine is about two inches shorter than that. Try different lengths and see what works for you.

Hank19 12-29-2006 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JM47 (Post 7491041)
It's personal preference really. Most people say your stick should come up to your chin with your skates on. Mine is about two inches shorter than that. Try different lengths and see what works for you.

Indeed. It all depends what you're comfortable with.
I was told that the shorter it is, the better the stickhandling.
I like mine at collarbone level with skates on.

Slick 12-29-2006 03:09 PM

When I'm picking out a new stick, I usually like to be somewhere between my lip and my nose in height, but like you I'm pretty tall (6'3") so it's difficult to find sticks that are that high. I prefer the longer sticks to take full advantage of my size to be able to poke pucks away on defense. It is personal preference, though. Good luck!

bigsick 12-29-2006 03:13 PM

Ya im a forward and id say on skates my stick is 5- 7 inches below my chin.

#2eddieshore 12-29-2006 03:43 PM

thanks for all your tips, i think i will keep it as it is for now then.

does putting a long wooden butt end on to extend a composite stick hamper the performance?

RJ8812* 12-29-2006 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #2eddieshore (Post 7491879)
thanks for all your tips, i think i will keep it as it is for now then.

does putting a long wooden butt end on to extend a composite stick hamper the performance?

not from when i did it

depends on the length of the wood extension though

MikeD 12-30-2006 12:51 AM

Offensive players tend to use a shorter stick such as yours compared to your hight, where defenseman tend to have the longer stick, to tip of nose when in skates. An extention long enough to take most of your hand will affect your shooting. best to keep it under 3 inches.

sc37 12-30-2006 08:26 PM

It makes the stick a bit flexier by adding an extension. The general rule is for every inch added of cut, +/- 4 flex. An inch, you won't notice, but more than that, you can really feel it.

TBLfan 12-30-2006 08:33 PM

just adjust based on the lie of your stick. If you're getting a lot of wear on the toe of the blade, get a extension. If you're getting it on the heel, cut some down... If the wear is right in the middle, leave it alone.