HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Kings Get Straka for 2.5mil per year. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=32683)

Hockey Moose 12-02-2003 04:40 AM

Kings Get Straka for 2.5mil per year.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03336/246328.stm

In essence, we pay Straka approximately $3million this year, and half his 4.7 million next year (2.35)

The deal is 2 years for 5.35 million bucks.

Face Wash 12-02-2003 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey Moose
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03336/246328.stm

In essence, we pay Straka approximately $3million this year, and half his 4.7 million next year (2.35)

The deal is 2 years for 5.35 million bucks.

Now take into account the insurance policy paying for Allison's season... you could do some creative accounting and say that if Allison misses another month and the Kings would have to pay Straka only the $2.35 for this year and next...

Wingboy2999 12-02-2003 05:22 AM

Wow, the deals looks even worse because the Pens had to pay part of his contract. Why would they agree to pick up ANYTHING? You don't do that in a salary dump.....

kingbrath 12-02-2003 05:32 AM

Way to squeeze it outta them DT!!! :handclap:

Enoch 12-02-2003 06:06 AM

This totally destroys the Pen fans argument that he wasn't affordable. The trade was bad to begin with, now its just pitiful. THey can't even dump salary correctly.

Evilo 12-02-2003 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch
This totally destroys the Pen fans argument that he wasn't affordable. The trade was bad to begin with, now its just pitiful. THey can't even dump salary correctly.

Well jimbo, 5.3M$ is a WHOLE lot for the Penguins.
Hard to get huh?

Enoch 12-02-2003 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilo
Well jimbo, 5.3M$ is a WHOLE lot for the Penguins.
Hard to get huh?

Actually , its not. It is hard to get. This is just another reason why this trade was absolutely rotten for the Penguins. Not only were they handed well below Straka's value, they are also paying 2.35 million on his contract for next year. Last time I checked, you tried to get rid of the salary in the dump, not pick it up :shakehead.

Takeo 12-02-2003 08:34 AM

Quote:

Actually , its not. It is hard to get. This is just another reason why this trade was absolutely rotten for the Penguins. Not only were they handed well below Straka's value, they are also paying 2.35 million on his contract for next year. Last time I checked, you tried to get rid of the salary in the dump, not pick it up :shakehead.

A salary dump is a salary dump whether you rid yourself of the entire contract or not. Fact is, the Pens budget is reduced. That's a salary dump...and their goal.

The Tang 12-02-2003 10:13 AM

Quote:

by this logic, if the caps get rid of Jagr for nothing, and pay 2M a year of his contract, it's not a salary dump.

Dr Love 12-02-2003 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider Zero
by this logic, if the caps get rid of Jagr for nothing, and pay 2M a year of his contract, it's not a salary dump.

Jagr is a bad example, as he makes 10 million. For starters it is salary dumping, paying 2 million is 1/5th of his contract. But the reality is in situations of 8, 9, 10 million dollar players, the only way to move them is to eat salary either from that player's contract or by aquiring another team's overpaid player, so your example isn't very realistic. By comparison, the Pens though are paying half of a 4.7 million dollar contract next year. That's not a very good salary dump.

willie 12-02-2003 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
That's not a very good salary dump.

I agree that it's not a very good salary dump BUT it is still a salary dump.

SuburbanRhythm 12-02-2003 11:51 AM

Quote:

Um....if they had kept him, another team would not have been puting $2.35 mil towards his salary to help out the Pens. At least I wouldn't think so.

So, he'd still have cost Pittsburgh $9+ million over 2 years.

Is it still a salary dump? Sure...but get your numbers right.

Enoch 12-02-2003 12:41 PM

The Penguins spent around 1.2 mil this year on Straka and saved about 3.1 mil. Next year they spend 2.35 mil, and save 2.35 mil. In short, they will have spent 3.55 million dollars on Straka for 22 games? 23 games, while The kings will pay 5.45 mil for almost two entire seasons. Yes it is a salary dump trade, but it was a bad one. The return was bad to begin with, but adding in the money that the Pens are supposed to be saving, is like a stab in the back.

Woobie82, nice avatar :yo:

Plan 9 12-02-2003 12:44 PM

Quote:

Not only were they handed well below Straka's value.

Craig Patrick isn't a complete ****ing moron. If Straka's value was any higher than what we recieved, you can be sure we would have gotten more.

MVP 12-02-2003 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koltsov71
Craig Patrick isn't a complete ****ing moron. If Straka's value was any higher than what we recieved, you can be sure we would have gotten more.

Well, your whole argument is base on the ideology that you think Craig Patrick is trying to build a young competitive team, but in reality the Penguins are just trying to find as much as cheap borderline NHLers as possible since those players won't make or ask for a lot of salary. Cutting salary is clearly the only objective for the Penguins, nothing else. i agree with keeping the budget in order, but not to this degree.

Vlad The Impaler 12-02-2003 12:51 PM

Quote:

The Penguins spent around 1.2 mil this year on Straka and saved about 3.1 mil. Next year they spend 2.35 mil, and save 2.35 mil.

Don't forget that the Pens will also have to pay a roster player pro salary to replace Straka and the savings for Pittsburgh are even less.

This is beyond ridiculous. That bad deal just got worse for the Penguins. Total mismanagement. Bush-league :(

Plan 9 12-02-2003 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVP
Well, your whole argument is base on the ideology that you think Craig Patrick is trying to build a young competitive team, but in reality the Penguins are just trying to find as much as cheap borderline NHLers as possible since those players won't make or ask for a lot of salary. Cutting salary is clearly the only objective for the Penguins, nothing else. i agree with keeping the budget in order, but not to this degree.

Fleury, Caron, Koltsov, Malone, Orpik, Murley, Beech, Fata, Melichar, Morozov. Yes, I do think that is a core for a young competitive team. Cutting salary is the main objective, but not the only objective.

MVP 12-02-2003 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koltsov71
Fleury, Caron, Koltsov, Malone, Orpik, Murley, Beech, Fata, Melichar, Morozov. Yes, I do think that is a core for a young competitive team. Cutting salary is the main objective, but not the only objective.

Some of the names above are very questionable, although you can put Milan Kraft in there too, since he been playing better recently. To be honest, i used to like the Penguins because of the style they played which was extreme exciting, however through the loss of Jagr, Kovy, Lang and Straka for basically nothing, it is tough not to change my view at looking at this team. In my personal opinion, as much as i wish to believe Mario is trying to put on a competitive team with an affortable budget, that is clearly not the case supported with evidences such as continue struggle with MA Fleury over the salary bonus. To be fair, i think Craig Patrick and Mario are trying to cut as much as salary as possible right now regardless of the influence it might have in the on ice product and hope to hit a homerun with a new salary cap over this summer. The fact they are missing is there is no guarantee that a salary cap will solve all there problems.

KOMO_ROCKS 12-02-2003 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVP

Bob, good points :handclap:

Plan 9 12-02-2003 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVP
Some of the names above are very questionable

I can meet you halfway on that point. I have little faith in Melichar and Morozov.

Quote:

To be honest, i used to like the Penguins because of the style they played which was extreme exciting.
It was yes. But in this day and age, there are very few teams that can get away with that style of play. Unfortunately, the Penguins are no longer one of them.

KingPurpleDinosaur 12-02-2003 03:18 PM

Quote:

The Penguins spent around 1.2 mil this year on Straka and saved about 3.1 mil. Next year they spend 2.35 mil, and save 2.35 mil. In short, they will have spent 3.55 million dollars on Straka for 22 games? 23 games, while The kings will pay 5.45 mil for almost two entire seasons. Yes it is a salary dump trade, but it was a bad one. The return was bad to begin with, but adding in the money that the Pens are supposed to be saving, is like a stab in the back.

just curious, what do you think the kings should have given up to make it a fair trade for a player being paid $4 mil a year + haven't scored in 13 games + etc etc.

prior to the money thing, i think the penguins had a pretty good return. in fact, i think it was pretty damn decent with anshakov potentially being a consistent 20-30 goal 30 assist player. strbak will also be a steady number 6er on defense. now if they're rebuilding, it's kinda a smart move gettin a player like this in their system. whereas straka, on the other hand, hasn't been doing too hot lately. so what do you think would have been a fair trade?

Rowsdower 12-02-2003 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willie
I agree that it's not a very good salary dump BUT it is still a salary dump.

I'd agree with this.....I wasn't fond of the trade to begin with, but was prepared for it and understood why it had to be done....but I am not happy at all they will covering salary....certainly a shot out of nowhere, as I'm sure nobody expected Pitts to be covering salaries of any sort....

SuburbanRhythm 12-03-2003 03:23 AM

Quote:

True, but still, spending $3.55 as opposed to $9+ still works in the Penguins favor at this point, for what they wanted to do...shed salary. Sure they are still paying a portion of his salary...but a portion is still less than the total (hmmm, that felt silly writing that!).

Enoch, a fellow Px'er?? Good deal

Enoch 12-03-2003 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woobie82
Enoch, a fellow Px'er?? Good deal

I see your points, but I hope you catch mine as well :)

:D :yo:

We ain't got no place to go.....
Lets go to the Punk Rock show.