HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   A question about draft 2005 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=32691)

Jani8 12-02-2003 05:12 AM

A question about draft 2005

If there's no season in 2004-2005, how will the drafting go? Who gets to pick first in 2005 draft? And based on what?

Douggy 12-02-2003 05:21 AM

This gets asked all the time, and nobody really knows the answer, because it has never happened before.

You'd have to assume that the order from 2004 would just be used in 2005. That would mean a team could end up with Ovechin and Crosby!

Douggy 12-02-2003 05:23 AM

Or maybe if there is still a lockout come June, they won't even have the draft. :dunno: (Okay, so thats highly unlikely.)

Wingboy2999 12-02-2003 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douggy
This gets asked all the time, and nobody really knows the answer, because it has never happened before.

You'd have to assume that the order from 2004 would just be used in 2005. That would mean a team could end up with Ovechin and Crosby!

Pittsburgh will be hoping for lockout! Maybe not, they won't get much better over that time period....

Jani8 12-02-2003 05:42 AM

It's hard to imagine that the other 29 GM's would agree that one team gets back-to-back 1st overall picks.(Ovechkin&Crosby). Maybe the smartest thing would be to merge the two drafts.

topshelf331 12-02-2003 07:12 PM

Hopefully if there is a lock out the draft will go to a complete lottery.

Jacob 12-02-2003 07:17 PM

I agree with that. If nothing else, redo the 1 lottery pick.

Trottier 12-02-2003 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douggy
Or maybe if there is still a lockout come June, they won't even have the draft. :dunno: (Okay, so thats highly unlikely.)

Not to be nitpicky, but what do you mena by "if there is still a lockout come June"? I assume you mean June 2004. Think we're getting way ahead of ourselves, as the league is operating under a current CBA that is IN EFFECT until September 2004, if I'm not mistaken. Just because a new deal hasn't been reached several months before that expiration date doesn't mean they "turn off the lights" prematurely. ;)

Schlep Rock 12-03-2003 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier
Not to be nitpicky, but what do you mena by "if there is still a lockout come June"? I assume you mean June 2004. Think we're getting way ahead of ourselves, as the league is operating under a current CBA that is IN EFFECT until September 2004, if I'm not mistaken. Just because a new deal hasn't been reached several months before that expiration date doesn't mean they "turn off the lights" prematurely. ;)

Considering the discussion is about the 2005 draft I believe he is talking about June 2005.

And FYI... you can't "assume" anything regarding a potential WORK STOPPAGE. I don't see the owners locking the players out.

wint 12-03-2003 05:34 AM

Obviously, if they play any hockey at all next year, they'll use those standings. If not, I'm hoping they take advantage of the situation and push the draft eligible age up to 19 and skip the draft entirely. That way, teams will have a better idea of what they're getting, kids aren't brought in too early, and the draft will be more exciting because fans will be looking at players that can help their team within a year instead of long term projects. Not to mention the NHL would avoid the problem of creating a draft order.

Guest 12-03-2003 06:27 AM

The Draft is part of the CBA, as it lists the rules and so forth involved with the CBA. The current CBA doesn't expire until Sept 2004, so the 2004 draft is intact, but if a new CBA is not agreed upon in time for the 2005 draft, then there would not be one. The terms of the entry draft are set by the CBA, so if there are no rules, there is no draft.

Enoch 12-03-2003 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topshelf331
Hopefully if there is a lock out the draft will go to a complete lottery.

I agree. If there is a lock out, the draft should be done completely based on lottery picks. Every team gets an equal chance at the no. 1 pick.

Douggy 12-03-2003 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier

There's no doubt that we're getting ahead of ourselves. I'm not the one who came up with the question though! :D