HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ryder (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=327776)

Brisebois 01-02-2007 02:16 PM

Ryder

Is it just me, or does he seem to be playing with less energy and determination than his first year?

I remember in his rookie season he was a crash-and-bang player with a great shot and good upper body strength...

Now it seems he has become lazier, relying too much on his shot, and his great linemates... which perhaps could explain his lack of production.

Now I understand he is a streaky player, but he no longer brings ANYTHING to the table when he isn't scoring.

Blind Gardien 01-02-2007 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisebois (Post 7525654)
Is it just me, or does he seem to be playing with less energy and determination than his first year?

I remember in his rookie season he was a crash-and-bang player with a great shot and good upper body strength...

Now it seems he has become lazier, relying too much on his shot, and his great linemates... which perhaps could explain his lack of production.

Now I understand he is a streaky player, but he no longer brings ANYTHING to the table when he isn't scoring.

Hum, that sounds more like the synopsis of *last* year for him, whereas (for the most part, with some exceptions) this season has actually been more like the crash-and-bang rookie season. (Although I would have said there has been a bit of a letdown on that score lately... except the whole team has also been in that mode, so I wouldn't judge Ryder alone on it).
:dunno:

Darz 01-02-2007 02:36 PM

I think if Ryder has shown me anything this year, it is the fact that he is a pretty streaky player.

He has had games where he looked great (especially early on, but there have been a couple games lately where he has looked good, imo), and others when I wasn't 100% sure if he was in the lineup that night.

I hate to say this, but it kind of reminds me of Zednik during his Montreal tenure (outside of his last season).

Seb 01-02-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz (Post 7525913)

I hate to say this, but it kind of reminds me of Zednik during his Montreal tenure (outside of his last season).

And that's exactly what i'm saying since 2 months.

mcphee 01-02-2007 02:45 PM

Ealier, I found he was playing well though not producing. Better in his own end, more speed thru the neutral zone, strong along the boards. I'd say that the last 6 or 7 games, he's been horrid.

I'm guessing that the staff is telling him not to worry, shoot,shoot and keep shooting. The problem is that too often, his C ,shooting left, passes to him breaking thru ctr., and the puck doesn't come back. Really, with Ryder, that's the issue, crossing the blueline. I'd like to see him get someone else the puck and work himself open down low.

It seems Ryder is someone who'd benefit from a rh center.

Habitants 01-02-2007 02:57 PM

he needs to be less greedy, he rarely passes. i know we want more shots, and he shoots alot, but sometimes he just needs to make the pass instead of taking a bad shot.

he was on 3 on 1 with koivu open for an easy goal and he deeked to the net:banghead:

i for one think he is one of our most valuble trading assets, and although i really like him and the fact that he is a goal scorer, he is too one dimensional for me and would not mind seeing him go in a trade for a center

417 01-02-2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee (Post 7526039)
Ealier, I found he was playing well though not producing. Better in his own end, more speed thru the neutral zone, strong along the boards. I'd say that the last 6 or 7 games, he's been horrid.

I'm guessing that the staff is telling him not to worry, shoot,shoot and keep shooting. The problem is that too often, his C ,shooting left, passes to him breaking thru ctr., and the puck doesn't come back. Really, with Ryder, that's the issue, crossing the blueline. I'd like to see him get someone else the puck and work himself open down low.

Good post.

I personally don't mind that Ryder is greedy, I actually want him to be because he's got a great shot with an even more impressive release, he's a guy that should average 270 + shots a year (so should Kovalev, but that's another story). However, I think Ryder is going about it the wrong way, he's trying to manufacture his shot on his own all the time, and that's just not his game. The rest of the league caught on to his game after his rookie year where it seemed everyone just let him walk into the slot to unleash his shot, but that's not working anymore.

Ryder needs to learn to trust his centerman with the puck and just worry about getting into scoring areas, I'm reminded of a Ryder goal from a few weeks ago vs. the Pens, when Latendresse entered the zone and feathered a pass across the zone and Ryder absolutely smoked it top corner. I think he'd be more successful if he played more of a trigger man role rather than trying to do the playmaking himself.

mcphee 01-02-2007 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 417 (Post 7526312)
Good post.

I personally don't mind that Ryder is greedy, I actually want him to be because he's got a great shot with an even more impressive release, he's a guy that should average 270 + shots a year (so should Kovalev, but that's another story). However, I think Ryder is going about it the wrong way, he's trying to manufacture his shot on his own all the time, and that's just not his game. The rest of the league caught on to his game after his rookie year where it seemed everyone just let him walk into the slot to unleash his shot, but that's not working anymore.

Ryder needs to learn to trust his centerman with the puck and just worry about getting into scoring areas, I'm reminded of a Ryder goal from a few weeks ago vs. the Pens, when Latendresse entered the zone and feathered a pass across the zone and Ryder absolutely smoked it top corner. I think he'd be more successful if he played more of a trigger man role rather than trying to do the playmaking himself.

I agree, what I wonder is how they adjust to keep him from constantly being the guy gaining the line. He should be able to give it up or move from the boards at the line, or simply get it deep. I don't know if its a lack of vision, lack of comfidence passing, I have no idea. It seems to me that if you have something that you flat out suck at, you should game plan to avoid the situation.

AlexeiKovalev27 01-02-2007 03:46 PM

He reminds me of Zednik, has difficulty to bring the puck to the offensive zone

geezus can someone bring a big sign to the game written "PASS THE PUCK" on it? it's getting ridiculous the numerous times he loses it

SOLR 01-02-2007 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee (Post 7526931)
I agree, what I wonder is how they adjust to keep him from constantly being the guy gaining the line. He should be able to give it up or move from the boards at the line, or simply get it deep. I don't know if its a lack of vision, lack of comfidence passing, I have no idea. It seems to me that if you have something that you flat out suck at, you should game plan to avoid the situation.

417 01-02-2007 04:04 PM

I don't even think it's a lack of vision at all...he's just trying to do too much and isn't playing to his strengths as a hockey player.

Although Ryder has improved his skating by leaps and bounds this year, he's still putting himself in situations where his skating is exposed.

I'll give an extreme example.

Brett Hull was never an elegant skater nor did he have great vision, however, he never bothered with trying to carry the puck from his zone into the offensize one when another option was available, he also never tried to stickhandle through the whole opposing teams 5 man unit to get his shot off.

I'm not asking Ryder to be like Hull, but there's certain elements in his game he should take after.

Ross MacLochness 01-02-2007 04:08 PM

If we put Kostitsyn in Ryder's spot along side Saku all year, are we that much worse off as a team? For every point Ryder collects, there are 5 or 6 good quality plays that he completely ruins.

SOLR 01-02-2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim (Post 7527301)
If we put Kostitsyn in Ryder's spot along side Saku all year, are we that much worse off as a team? For every point Ryder collects, there are 5 or 6 good quality plays that he completely ruins.

Most people know my opinion on this already.

Maddas* 01-02-2007 04:11 PM

Well to be fair to him he's our 3rd highest scorer (tied with Kovalev) although Higgins was injured for the best part of 25 games. Didn't he go on a 4 games 6 points streak recently?

He'll always be a streaky player I feel, and although he was looking as if he was ready to take a step up at the start of the season he's back to his usual self. Which is okay really, his work is often overlooked.

WeThreeKings 01-02-2007 05:46 PM

Like I've reiterated many times. For Ryder to be successful he must pass the puck to Koivu, or dump in and chase it. He is at his best getting into scoring areas and waiting for a pass to get his shot off.

He cannot carry the puck in, he's not a great passer, he definitely cannot deke. However for some reason he thinks he can do all of these things all of the sudden, even when results indicate quite clearly otherwise.

CareyClutch 01-02-2007 05:48 PM

this guys need to watch some game from the pressbox

speed11 01-02-2007 05:49 PM

he's a complete waste on the 1st line, why not move him to the 2nd line, that lines not doing anything anyways, at least get Kovy with Koivu.

guest1467 01-02-2007 05:51 PM

The guy has bricks for hands......give him a break.

Teufelsdreck 01-02-2007 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee (Post 7526039)

I don't get it. He scored 25 and 30 goals playing with left handed centers (Koivu and Ribeiro). Isn't it easier for a LH center to pass to and to receive passes from a RH RW?

mcphee 01-02-2007 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diogenes (Post 7528569)
I don't get it. He scored 25 and 30 goals playing with left handed centers (Koivu and Ribeiro). Isn't it easier for a LH center to pass to and to receive passes from a RH RW?

I meant more in terms of the rush rather han Ryder himself. Koivu naturally looks to the rw with an outlet pass. Ryder ends up taking it over the blueline. Yeah, he shoots right and should be able to slip across to Koivu. If this play is beyond him, the line would be better off somehow moving it up the lw, even if it isn't as natural a move from C.

With reagrds to comments about vision, , it doesn't only refer to what he does with the puck, it means what he does away from the puck, finding open ice. Ryder can do this well. If we moan and whine all year, which is everyone's right as a fan/expert, when it's all said and done, I bet he'll have 25-30. When his rushes end up in the corner like the old electric football games that 90% have never seen, I get as frustrated as the rest of you. I remember how fans used to get pissed at Yvan Cournoyer for going offside. You can't please everybody.

Habsfan2992 01-03-2007 12:10 AM

I think he's lost it, he can't finish for the life of him. IMO put him in a package before his value goes down. To me he's not contributing a lot in any aspect of the game.

Maddas* 01-03-2007 12:13 AM

Nice goal today :dunce:

LeGars Du Cable 01-03-2007 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NhlGuy (Post 7533871)
I think he's lost it, he can't finish for the life of him. IMO put him in a package before his value goes down. To me he's not contributing a lot in any aspect of the game.

we are 4th in the eastern conference

Kirk Muller 01-03-2007 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NhlGuy (Post 7533871)
To me he's not contributing a lot in any aspect of the game.

That could be said for a lot of players over the recent games.

Habsfan2992 01-03-2007 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nash13 (Post 7533920)
That could be said for a lot of players over the recent games.

True enough but he just seems to have no interest at all. I know Kovy is strange like that but Ryder can't turn a game around like Kovy can.
Koivu usually makes anyone look good when they play with him but I don't think this is working.
Higgins seems to be able to do the job himself like Koivu so I say get Koivu with Sammy and Kovalev and give that a try, maybe it'll light a fire under the 2 russians.
As for Ryder I don't know a swift kick in the *** maybe?