HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Alex Perezhogin's top end potential (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=33065)

theo6060 12-03-2003 10:35 AM

Alex Perezhogin's top end potential

What does everyone see as his top end potential? I don't want to set the bar too high, but I see him being a guy we can relly on down the line in a tied game. Maybe he could get 30+ goals...maybe even 40?

Darz 12-03-2003 11:11 AM

I'm not sure. It seems like the hype surronding him has died down a bit since the beginning of this year. I think he is someone, who regardless of his ceiling is going to need some time to adjust to the N/A style of play.
It would sure be awesome if he and Kastitsyn could become top 6 forwards for us in the next 2-3 years.

theo6060 12-03-2003 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
I'm not sure. It seems like the hype surronding him has died down a bit since the beginning of this year. I think he is someone, who regardless of his ceiling is going to need some time to adjust to the N/A style of play.
It would sure be awesome if he and Kastitsyn could become top 6 forwards for us in the next 2-3 years.

As much as we'd all love to see that, I think perhaps 2-3 years is a bit early. After seeing him a couple weeks ago, it's obvious he's got a lot of skill but like I said, there really is an adjusting stage that maybe is taking a bit of time. I think they could be the offensive catalysts on this team some day, maybe not until 2007 but or around there though...

Munchausen 12-03-2003 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz

Yes the adaptation will take time indeed. He's much weaker physically than I originally thought. But the good news is all he needs to do is bulk up a little and learn to play with bigger players a more physical game, which there's no reason to think he won't do eventually, whether it be next year or the year after.

The positive about Perezhogin far outweights the negative, as he has blazing speed, very good hands a a quick accurate shot. He has also an awful lot of hockey sense which will ultimately (IMO) allow him to become a more complete player than say a Zednik who rely mainly on a great shot (which he overuses sometimes) and a pug hog type of game. Perezhogin is also a good setter and responsible in his own end, so he plays a fairly well rounded game. He doesn't play physical, but does everything else.

I won't say he has star potential (even if that may be the case), but Perezhogin has IMO the capacity to play one day successfully on a scoring line. But of course, everybody said the same thing about Sundstrom, which he did at the begining of his career, so we should always keep in mind that not all great offensive prospects are able to bring their game to the next level. Will Perezhogin become a poor man's Mogilny or the second coming of Sundstrom, who knows, but he sure has the potential to score regularly in this league from what I saw.

Mike The Wall 12-03-2003 11:45 AM

Lets give the Kid some time to learn some english and living in a different country. Then he will also be adjusted to the NA style of play. But the most important part is that he will have to get adjusted to living in a bran new country new culture new language and so on.

The Hockey part is not a problem they have talent and they can't lose that. They just have to get their minds up to gear about being in another environment.

think he is still 21 years old still a kid give him time and he will be a great one lets not rush him and also put lables on him. He will be Alex Perezhogin and a great player at that.

Mike

montreal 12-03-2003 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theo6060
What does everyone see as his top end potential? I don't want to set the bar too high, but I see him being a guy we can relly on down the line in a tied game. Maybe he could get 30+ goals...maybe even 40?

Top end potentail is 1st line winger, but who knows if he will get there. I think he needs to get stronger, and learn to drive to the net more. Still he's highly skilled. His skating is already top notch, and has good speed with good acceleration. He will throw a hit, but it doesn't seem part of his game. Also he's good in his own end, but should get even better with time. He's a shooter first and fore most, as his wrist shot is heavy, with a quick release. I had heard he wasn't much of a passer, but in the games I was at, he made some decent passes. I was most impressed with his flashy moves, as he put on a great one man show, as he took the puck carried it in, went all the way around the net, back in front, sheilding it the whole time, then fires a wicked backhander that just froze the goalie. Top shelf, it was sweet.

The problem I noticed is he lacks strength, wasn't very physical in that he had a few chances to check a player and didn't, and to me he seemed to slow down in the corner instead of getting hit. Also once he got Jarvis yelling for him to backcheck hard, but other then that I think he will be a good one. The smaller ice surface will continue to give him problems, and it's got to be very difficult not knowing any other Russians, and being so far from home. If anyones spent any time in Hamilton, it's a depressing looking town. (no offence Hamilton) I could see him in the NHL at some point next year. His skating, speed and shot are all NHL ready, just needs to get more comfortable out there, and a good bit stronger.

Rahan 12-03-2003 12:35 PM

From what I've seen, he passes a lot too, and should go more often in front of the net to use his nice shot.
I see him as a 25 goal scorer, somwhere around 60 points.

Crusher20 12-03-2003 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike The Wall
Lets give the Kid some time to learn some english and living in a different country. Then he will also be adjusted to the NA style of play. But the most important part is that he will have to get adjusted to living in a bran new country new culture new language and so on.

The Hockey part is not a problem they have talent and they can't lose that. They just have to get their minds up to gear about being in another environment.

think he is still 21 years old still a kid give him time and he will be a great one lets not rush him and also put lables on him. He will be Alex Perezhogin and a great player at that.

Mike

hey you stoled my avatar! :(

:P

wait a second... its not even there anymore!! doh!

:D

well.. the hunt starts again lol

Freaky Habs Fan 12-03-2003 03:23 PM

Mike the wall bring a good point. The language. Two years ago, Markov wasen't able to talk English and than, he take English court and after that, he was one of the best D-man in the NHL. It's probably a major problem for Perezhogin. When he will talk English well, maybe he will be more ready.

Necrophile 12-03-2003 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plekanec
He reminds me alot Ladislav Nagy...

Like Munchunsen has said... Perezhogin lack strengh at the moment, this is actually his main weakness!

Do you know if he has a commitment to bulking up during next summer? I know learning english might be his main priority right now, but in the long term it could hurt him if he doesn't commit to getting stronger. Looking forward to seeing him during Hamilton's next game... December 7 on Sportsnet East I believe... :yo:

Corey 12-03-2003 05:31 PM

He's very young and it seems a bit premature to predict what he will be like in 5 years. I hope he lives up to his selection in the first round.

KOMO_ROCKS 12-03-2003 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
Top end potentail is 1st line winger, but who knows if he will get there. I think he needs to get stronger, and learn to drive to the net more. Still he's highly skilled. His skating is already top notch, and has good speed with good acceleration. He will throw a hit, but it doesn't seem part of his game. Also he's good in his own end, but should get even better with time. He's a shooter first and fore most, as his wrist shot is heavy, with a quick release. I had heard he wasn't much of a passer, but in the games I was at, he made some decent passes. I was most impressed with his flashy moves, as he put on a great one man show, as he took the puck carried it in, went all the way around the net, back in front, sheilding it the whole time, then fires a wicked backhander that just froze the goalie. Top shelf, it was sweet.

The problem I noticed is he lacks strength, wasn't very physical in that he had a few chances to check a player and didn't, and to me he seemed to slow down in the corner instead of getting hit. Also once he got Jarvis yelling for him to backcheck hard, but other then that I think he will be a good one. The smaller ice surface will continue to give him problems, and it's got to be very difficult not knowing any other Russians, and being so far from home. If anyones spent any time in Hamilton, it's a depressing looking town. (no offence Hamilton) I could see him in the NHL at some point next year. His skating, speed and shot are all NHL ready, just needs to get more comfortable out there, and a good bit stronger.

Thanks for the feedback....excellent insight :handclap:

montreal 12-03-2003 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey
He's very young and it seems a bit premature to predict what he will be like in 5 years. I hope he lives up to his selection in the first round.

Yes it is, but then again, it's Hockeysfuture, not hockeytoday. There's nothing but opinions going around, so anything that's said about his future means little.

KOMO_ROCKS 12-03-2003 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
Yes it is, but then again, it's Hockeysfuture, not hockeytoday. There's nothing but opinions going around, so anything that's said about his future means little.

Exactly :handclap:

theo6060 12-03-2003 06:12 PM

Very nice point Mike The Wall. I had forgotten about how it took Markov time to adjust to North America and English. Honestly though, what can you expect. If I was thrown on a hockey team in Sweden and didn't speak a word and was on a team with just Swedish players I'd find it tough too. We all would. Especially when you consider he wouldn't be able to understand anyone outside of hockey. Pretty depressing...I wonder if the NHLPA might be able to find a way to make it easier for Europeans to make the transition with some sort of program.

goalchenyuk 12-03-2003 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theo6060
Very nice point Mike The Wall. I had forgotten about how it took Markov time to adjust to North America and English. Honestly though, what can you expect. If I was thrown on a hockey team in Sweden and didn't speak a word and was on a team with just Swedish players I'd find it tough too. We all would. Especially when you consider he wouldn't be able to understand anyone outside of hockey. Pretty depressing...I wonder if the NHLPA might be able to find a way to make it easier for Europeans to make the transition with some sort of program.

Julien said at the pre-saison camp that he was really surprise by the play of Plecanek ,because the year before , in the ahl , it's like he didn't have any emotion .Julien saw that the guy have skill , but it was like he didn't want to use it .
May be it is the same for Perezhogin ;he have to learn a new style of game , by a coach that teach in a language that he's not already understand .
I am sure that after the chrismas time , the guy is going to increase his play , little by little .

CrAzYNiNe 12-03-2003 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrophile
Do you know if he has a commitment to bulking up during next summer? I know learning english might be his main priority right now, but in the long term it could hurt him if he doesn't commit to getting stronger. Looking forward to seeing him during Hamilton's next game... December 7 on Sportsnet East I believe... :yo:

Why not do both, bring the blackboard into the gym? :D