HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Nash wants to be like Thornton.... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=33118)

Jim 12-03-2003 01:35 PM

Nash wants to be like Thornton....
 
In an article on TSN.ca, Nash said he is trying to mold himself after Joe Thornton. Here is the quote:

"At the end of the day I'd like to be the type of player that Joe Thornton is right now," said Nash. "I kind of try to mould my game around his.

"Three or four years down the road if I could be where he is, I'd be pretty happy."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=62921


Interesting...

Boston Bruno 12-03-2003 01:50 PM

tHOUGHTS
 
He should complain about the officiating now and threaten to retire when he his 25!

Then he would be in full Joe Mold..

WBC8 12-03-2003 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WE WANT LARAQUE
He should complain about the officiating now and threaten to retire when he his 25!

Then he would be in full Joe Mold..

:shakehead

Jim 12-03-2003 04:17 PM

No knock on Thornton, but Nash might want to just be....well, Nash. There aren't too many 19 year olds that can play the way he does.

WBC8 12-03-2003 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim
No knock on Thornton, but Nash might want to just be....well, Nash. There aren't too many 19 year olds that can play the way he does.


Nash is freakin' awesome.....In a few years, power forwards will be listed as Nash #1, everyone else after.....

TJF 12-03-2003 07:29 PM

Nash is simply amazing, I knew he'd be great but I'm kind of suprised at how quickly he's become great, I think Columbus made the right move by trading for the number 1 pick to get him. Don't get me wrong Boumeester will be great as well but I think Nash will just be one of those players that you won't forget. The best thing about him too is that during big games is where he steps it up. After watching him play a few years of junior hockey in my hometown he was always great in the regular season but come playoff time he'd carry the Knights on his back.

Harry Sinbin 12-04-2003 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJF
Nash is simply amazing, I knew he'd be great but I'm kind of suprised at how quickly he's become great, I think Columbus made the right move by trading for the number 1 pick to get him. Don't get me wrong Boumeester will be great as well but I think Nash will just be one of those players that you won't forget. The best thing about him too is that during big games is where he steps it up. After watching him play a few years of junior hockey in my hometown he was always great in the regular season but come playoff time he'd carry the Knights on his back.

I really liked Nash with the Knights as well, but there was really no need for Columbus to move up to get him. I don't recall what they gave up to move up to the #1 spot, but Nash would have been available at #3 so giving up anything wa a bad move, in my opinion.

nordique 12-04-2003 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Sinbin
I really liked Nash with the Knights as well, but there was really no need for Columbus to move up to get him. I don't recall what they gave up to move up to the #1 spot, but Nash would have been available at #3 so giving up anything wa a bad move, in my opinion.

Never hurts to be sure. Say at the last second someone came and blew away Waddell with an offer to grab Lehtonen at #2 if Bouwmeester had gone #1, since he'd talked about moving the pick to get a veteran established goaltender (I believe Khabibulin was the rumour of the day).

JDog 12-04-2003 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Sinbin
I really liked Nash with the Knights as well, but there was really no need for Columbus to move up to get him. I don't recall what they gave up to move up to the #1 spot, but Nash would have been available at #3 so giving up anything wa a bad move, in my opinion.

The Jackets lost nothing in picking him up...how was it a bad move?

Harry Sinbin 12-04-2003 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordique
Never hurts to be sure. Say at the last second someone came and blew away Waddell with an offer to grab Lehtonen at #2 if Bouwmeester had gone #1, since he'd talked about moving the pick to get a veteran established goaltender (I believe Khabibulin was the rumour of the day).

Basically, this scenario would require a team that had a top flight goalie that they were willing to trade for the number two pick, but then they would pass on the bluechip goaltending prospect. No team fits the bill. If Tampa would have traded Khabibulin, it would have been with the intention of taking Lehtonen themselves. Thus, Nash would have still been available at #3.

The only doomsday scenario for Columbus would have been if a team, which was also interested in Nash, offered a package to Florida for the number one pick. The offer would have been from a team picking lower than 3rd ensuring that Florida would be losing out on Bouwmeester. So, essentially, Florida would have had to have traded the #1 pick in a blockbuster to a team that was interested in Nash while missing out on all three of the big names at that draft. Again, not very likely.

Columbus either thought it was worth moving up to the #1 spot for public relations reasons or else they got bluffed by Florida that the Panthers preferred Nash (very marginally over Bouwmeester since they were willing to talk about trading down) and might go ahead and draft Nash at #1 themselves.

Harry Sinbin 12-04-2003 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDog
The Jackets lost nothing in picking him up...how was it a bad move?

So, Florida just swapped the #1 pick for the #3 pick for nothing? Although I don't recall what Columbus gave up, I'm sure they gave up something. And even if that something never has any impact in the NHL, it was stupid (in my opinion) to give up anything when it wasn't necessary as per my reply above.

Boston Bruno 12-04-2003 08:06 AM

Hehehe
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aceyalone
You forgot to add that Nash will need some training in beating up cops as well.


LOL.. :joker:

RiellyGood 12-04-2003 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Sinbin
So, Florida just swapped the #1 pick for the #3 pick for nothing? Although I don't recall what Columbus gave up, I'm sure they gave up something. And even if that something never has any impact in the NHL, it was stupid (in my opinion) to give up anything when it wasn't necessary as per my reply above.

BJs swapped with Florida, giving Fla the option to swap 1st round picks in 03 but they had a higher pick than Columbus in 03 so they didnt need to swap...It cost florida I think a second round pick to Atlanta so they would promise not to take J-Bo.

Something along those lines....

Harry Sinbin 12-04-2003 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberFan
BJs swapped with Florida, giving Fla the option to swap 1st round picks in 03 but they had a higher pick than Columbus in 03 so they didnt need to swap...It cost florida I think a second round pick to Atlanta so they would promise not to take J-Bo.

Something along those lines....

If that is accurate, it sure worked out for Columbus although they still put themselves in a potentially losing situation in the '03 draft for no reason which is not smart. But as the saying goes: I'd rather be lucky than good.

How bad does Florida look, however. They gave up a second rounder to drop from #1 to #3? If that's the case, the moral of the story is: never drop down without getting something concrete in return. The right to swap picks just doesn't cut it particularly when you are swapping with a team that is in the same point range as you.

JDog 12-04-2003 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Sinbin
If that is accurate, it sure worked out for Columbus although they still put themselves in a potentially losing situation in the '03 draft for no reason which is not smart. But as the saying goes: I'd rather be lucky than good.

How bad does Florida look, however. They gave up a second rounder to drop from #1 to #3? If that's the case, the moral of the story is: never drop down without getting something concrete in return. The right to swap picks just doesn't cut it particularly when you are swapping with a team that is in the same point range as you.

Florida lost a 2nd round pick so that Atlanta wouldn't take Bouwmeester. Columbus lost nothing since Florida had a higher pick in the draft. Yeah, it was likely that each team got who they wanted but MacLean wanted a young forward (along with Klesla on d & Pascal Leclaire in goal) to build his team around. Maclean has also mentioned that there really wasn't a player who was head and shoulders above all the others in last year's draft so he wasn't all that concerned about swapping picks. Now for this year's draft (and next year's) Maclean would never have made that deal.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.