HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   MacT's comments on Smytty (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=33146)

Hemsky4PM 12-03-2003 04:57 PM

MacT's comments on Smytty

I guess Mac T answered my original question of why the heck Smyth is at center. The answer is as confusing as the coaches deer in the headlights look after the team gets scored on.

He's creating offense on the third line was the gist of MacTs take on Smyth between Pisani and Moreau. Wha??? He also said Pisani is a "heckuva player". I don't want to knock Pisani's effort, but seriously, MacT quite blatantly plays favorites on this team. Isbister is not one of them. The goal Isbister scored against Columbus, top-shelf slapper, was the type of thing that might help the power play. A player on the boards who's shot the opposition actually has to respect, what a novel idea. But as long as Horcoff and Pisani remain MacT's guys, Isbister will continue to languish. I just don't get it.

Back to Smyth at center. I don't see why Oates can't play down the middle, he's only done it for 19 years. Oates, York, Stoll and Horcoff, why does Smyth need to play center at all.

jadeddog 12-03-2003 05:41 PM

this is a question that is so befuddling its best not to bother thinking about it or your head might explode.....macT has smyth at center and HORCOFF on the wing..... umm, isnt horcoff better at center and smyth on the wing?? i would think that this would be one of those no-brainers..... i wont even get into the fact that horcoff is playing AT ALL.... he has been BY FAR the worst player (not including salo) on this team so far this year......

if smyth doesnt move back to LW when reasoner comes back i dont know what ill do with myself..... ill have to quit watching oilers games or something, because i will lose all control of my anger..... this is what any idiot in the world would have the lineup be:

smyth-oates-hemsky
torres-york-dvorak
moreau-reasoner-pisani/chimera
isbister-stoll-laraque/salmo

there might be some wiggle room on the 3rd-4th lines, depending on who is playing well or not..... there even might be some discussion to be had about stoll playing over horcoff (but so far its not even a freaking decision).... but those first two lines are SO *****ING OBVIOUS that its not even funny.... it boggles the mind how macT doesnt see this

the fact that horcoff is on the wing while smyth is at center (during reasoners injury) is just beyong my comprehension.... can somebody PLEASE tell me what good this does?!?!

dawgbone 12-03-2003 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadeddog
the fact that horcoff is on the wing while smyth is at center (during reasoners injury) is just beyong my comprehension.... can somebody PLEASE tell me what good this does?!?!

Horcoff couldn't win a face-off against my daughter... that is why he isn't at centre.

jadeddog 12-03-2003 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawgbone
Horcoff couldn't win a face-off against my daughter... that is why he isn't at centre.

lol... yeah this is very true..... but to take out (arguably) best player out of his position and make him COMPLETELY useless is possibly the stupidest coaching move i can remember in recent oiler history

Walsher 12-03-2003 06:47 PM

Isbister is hurt thats why he isn't playing, Horcoff can't win faceoffs, Smyth hasn't produced anywhere so why would that change if he moved to win. Plus Smyth has been winning more faceoffs of late than some of the other weak candidates. Eaither way the team is looking pretty weak.