HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Rank the Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=33154)

Mizral 12-03-2003 04:26 PM

Rank the Oilers

This is a very difficult task, but I thought it'd be interesting to see. What I am essentially asking, is that you rank the Oilers based on most important to the team (now and in the future), current play, and 'intangibles' such as contract, leadership, etc..

I am not asking necessarily a number assigned to a player. Simply a list, with the best players at the top, worst at the bottom, with the thought that the player at the top of the list you think the Oilers could least afford to lose, and so on down the list, so that the players one step higher are always slightly more important.

You also needn't go through the entire farm, but just the players that have played so far this year (add in Comrie if you want I guess).

I'll post my 'list' later on tonight. Interesting in reading what yours might be.

rabi_sultan 12-03-2003 04:38 PM

now and in the future? hmm nice twist well here's mine considering both, btw im including players that have played this year

smyth-the current franchise player and leader
hemsky-is going to be our #1franchise player
brewer-is the cornerstone for our defensive plans for the future
dvorak-important to our short to mid term plans as a premier RW
oates-this high purely based on the importance he provides with the experience possibly saving development time on many prospects
reasoner-how important he's been we're feeling it now
salo-our goalie need i say more
smith-our hard hitting d-man who's our captain
staios-playing like our number 1 d-man, very consistent
torres-potential 2nd liner netting many goals is getting good exposure now
semenov-potential #2 dman with his play from last year, great pick
bergeron-potential our premiere pp qb, he has a future on this team as a weapon
stoll-potential captain and number #3 center he can be a great player for this team
moreau-gritty, leader, stands up and plays a great team game
conklin-if he plays good and backsup well we won't have any problems for a backup
pisani-the new grier in the sense that he's doing a third line checking role which he could make his over the upcoming years
chimera-a great asset to have for the 4th line energy line
valiquette-will be giving conklin competition all the way for the backup job, wouldn't mind seeing him and conks for one year only they could do it
horcoff-has to improve he can still make that fourth line centre slot his own for a long time
laraque-isnt playing the way we all want but if he does he'll be way higher up
cross-doing a great job as our #6 man on a weak d
allen-in the future cud be partnering bergeron to make our third line d
ferguson-shouldn't be playing imo but mact loves the vets
sarno-possibly a career AHL'er or PB guy don't really think he'll ever crack the lineup

windowlicker 12-03-2003 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizral
This is a very difficult task, but I thought it'd be interesting to see. What I am essentially asking, is that you rank the Oilers based on most important to the team (now and in the future), current play, and 'intangibles' such as contract, leadership, etc..

I am not asking necessarily a number assigned to a player. Simply a list, with the best players at the top, worst at the bottom, with the thought that the player at the top of the list you think the Oilers could least afford to lose, and so on down the list, so that the players one step higher are always slightly more important.

You also needn't go through the entire farm, but just the players that have played so far this year (add in Comrie if you want I guess).

I'll post my 'list' later on tonight. Interesting in reading what yours might be.

I think the real question here is.......

Do you think Markus Naslund can repeat the gold-like season he had last year this year. I would think it would be difficult for any player to put up such numbers and still be a stalwart on defence two years in a row.

Oilers Hockey 12-03-2003 04:48 PM

Fun idea, Miz!

Smyth
Hemsky
York
Dvorak
Brewer
Semenov
Conklin
Torres
Staios
Oates
Moreau
Reasoner
Stoll
Bergeron
Isbister
Laraque
Valiquette

amazing_oilers 12-03-2003 05:01 PM

Here's mine

Smyth
Comrie
Hemsky
York
Staois
Brewer
Reasoner
Moreau
Dvorak
Smith
Conklin
Salmo
Torres
Bergeron
Oates
Isbister
Stoll
Chimera
Semenov
Pisani
Horcoff
Ferguson
Cross
Laraque
Salo

jadeddog 12-03-2003 05:12 PM

this isnt really in "order" but rather who i think he worth keeping:

hemsky - the only REAL skill player the oilers have right now
smyth - good in front of the net player and good leader
york - great all around player
dvorak - see above
moreau - could be future captain
stoll - see above
brewer - might be a decent defensemen one day... maybe
bergeron - will be pretty good offensive dman
torres - a pleasant surprise, might be a 2nd liner
staios - a very good solid Dman

the rest can be traded, given away, sent home... i dont really care.... most of them are bad NHLers or good AHLers.....basically the above players are the only ones that i think are any good on the oilers right now, and even a couple of them are so young that its hard to tell what we really have..... as you can tell, im not exactly in the "oilers will compete for the cup in 3 years" camp, lol

Allan 12-03-2003 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windowlicker
I think the real question here is.......

Do you think Markus Naslund can repeat the gold-like season he had last year this year. I would think it would be difficult for any player to put up such numbers and still be a stalwart on defence two years in a row.

You might want to reread Mizral's post. He didn't mention Naslund or any other Canuck. If you want to discuss this one, maybe you should go to the Canucks board.

windowlicker 12-03-2003 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan
You might want to reread Mizral's post. He didn't mention Naslund or any other Canuck. If you want to discuss this one, maybe you should go to the Canucks board.

Its a joke, which I think most people who post here alot should have gotten. :lol:

Behind Enemy Lines 12-03-2003 05:43 PM

Fun idea. Here's my lame attempt...

The Future – building blocks
Hemsky - the chosen one?
Brewer – great tool kit in need of instruction manual to open it
York – little big man (character + skill)
Torres – crash, bang, score
Staios – perseverance, hard work, dedication = role model
Smith – willing to pay the price and make others pay the price
Dvorak – elite skills, two-way talent (Czech but I wish he was Finnish!)
Smyth – heart and soul
Semenov – can a 6’6” d-man still have growing pains?
Stoll – all I do is win

The Present – second tier supporting cast
Reasoner – lost and FOUND!
Moreau – character, heart, leadership
Bergeron – hobbit with ATTITUDE
Conklin – no Mystery, Alaska he can play at this level
Chimera – no mirage… fast feet, hands must follow
Isbister – Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Bister
Laraque – China aka ‘the sleeping giant’

The Past – glory days are in the past
Salo – I won a gold medal …
Oates – elite player could use a time machine
Cross - wysiwyg

Fringe NHL -
Pisani – solid role player
Ferguson – competitor but alas wielding a knife in a gun fight
Horcoff – solid guy just not physically solid

Allan 12-03-2003 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windowlicker
Its a joke, which I think most people who post here alot should have gotten. :lol:

Sorry. So many people post things like that seriously, and then whine about how he brings up the Canucks. I should have noticed who wrote it - obviously, you aren't one of the schmucks who posts that sort of thing.

Lowetide 12-03-2003 06:00 PM

1. Hemsky
2. Semenov
3. York
4. Torres
5. Stoll
6. Smyth
7. Staios
8. Brewer
9. Dvorak
10.Reasoner
11.Conklin
12.Smith
13.Bergeron
14.Moreau
15.Pisani
16.Chimera
17.Cross
18.Horcoff
19.Isbister
20.Laraque
21.Ferguson
22.Salo
23.Oates

elphy101 12-03-2003 06:07 PM

1. Hemsky
2. Brewer
3. York
4. Smyth
5. Torres
6. Semenov
7. Reasoner

That right there is I think the Core of the team for now and well into the future. I think that is a pretty good starting place for most teams.. Hopefully Conklin or Deslauriers becomes the bonafide #1 goalie that is missing from my list

thome_26 12-03-2003 06:50 PM

All things included (including potential) may list is:

1.Hemsky
2.Semenov
3.Smyth
4.Moreau
5.Reasoner
6.Torres
7.Pisani........... JUST KIDDING!(JDD is my pick there)
8.Stoll
9.Bergeron
10.York

Walsher 12-03-2003 06:55 PM

1 York
2 Dvorak
3 Hemsky
4 Moreau
5 Reasoner
6 Torres
7 Salo
8 Staios
9 Oates
10 Smyth

Mowzie 12-03-2003 07:58 PM

Laraque is at the bottom of my list, that's all that matters.

Mizral 12-03-2003 08:23 PM

Bleh, have to put my list up tommorrow. Keep in mind, the rule of thumb to work with here is that if you had to get rid of a player from the roster, you'd have the one lowest, and so on.

So for instance, Lowetide had Semenov at #2, which means if he absolutely had to choose, he'd vote York 'off the island' before Semenov. (I'm a huge Semenov fan too, but I dunno, York! Oh well, it's all a personal opinion thing)

GorillazXL 12-03-2003 08:38 PM

Hemsky
Smyth (say what you want but this guy bleeds the copper and blue)
York
Dvorak
Brewer
Semenov
Torres
Stoll
Staios
Smith
Salo
Reasoner
Moreau
Conklin
Bergeron
Isbister
Pisani
Cross
Ferguson
Horcoff
Chimera

Joey Moss
A Bag of pucks...

Laraque

Ok i'm a little hard on Laraque, I would trade the pucks before Laraque. I left Oates out cos i haven't placed a finger on where he all stands in the greater schemes of things. I also left prospects out as well (eg. Rita, Pouliot, JDD, Ninnimaki ...would fall around the Stoll-Reasoner area). Semenov so high up there? you bet this guy if ever given a decent chance is the sure thing...brewer, he only needs to taste a playoff series win, then he'll know what it takes.

GXL

momentai 12-03-2003 09:27 PM

Hey Mizral. I know you're expecting long posts and discussion about this. I'll try and live up to the expectations... :)

1. Ales Hemsky - Now he is the one player on this team who has ANY type of superstar potential in him. He scored 30 pts in his first year coming out of junior and is on pace to hit the 57 pt plateau this year at the tender age of 20. Given that he is still on his rookie contract for this year and for next... I'd say he is #1 in terms of importance for this club.

2. Mike York - He has been Mr. Consistent for this year. Versatile player that plays on the pp, pk and 5 on 5. He has played center with the Dvorak and Torres line for most of the year even though center is not his ideal position.

3. Raffi Torres - Probably would not have been this high at the beginning of the season, but given his consistent effort, hitting, and goal scoring ability... he deserves this spot. It helps that he is signed for the next couple of years pretty cheap as well.

4. Alexei Semenov - Now, I think I have defended him more than most on this board. LOL. But I firmly believe that he is one of the better defenders on this team and is much more consistent as a younger dman than either Bergeron or Brewer. To me, he's a keeper for sure and I said earlier in the year that he would end up as the best dman by the end of the year. Can't backtrack on those words, now can I?

5. Steve Staios - At this point, he is the most valuable dman on the team bar none. He is forced to be on the ice for every occasion and MacT seldom lets him play less than 24 minutes a night. He is currently the backbone of this weak defense. Losing him would be devastating.

6. Ryan Smyth - Longest serving Oiler on the team now that Marchant is gone. He leads on and off the ice even without the C on his chest. Though, he hasn't been playing well for a number of weeks, his importance cannot be understated.

7. Marty Reasoner - The loss of this one player is such a blow to this team's third line and pk. He is an excellent face-off man, cheap and extremely effective in his role as a third line checker. Not as good as Marchant but cheaper and younger in the same role.

8. Jarett Stoll - He is Hyped's boy as Hyped was touting him for a long while before he showed up in Edmonton. With 5 goals in a limited number of games, he has looked poised and confident as a young player in the league. He already looks like a veteran out there on the ice. Given the fact that he is a born leader and knows his own end of the ice very well, he's a keeper for sure.

9. Eric Brewer - Like him or not. Effective at times or not. He is still 24 years old and has the old "proverbial" potential stigma attached. If only he could put things together... but he still is very valuable as a young dman on this team. His contract could have been better structured though...

10. Radek Dvorak - Seems to have found a niche in Edmonton that he didn't have before. The good ice has helped his game and he seems comfortable. Along with York and Torres, he has consistently generated numerous scoring chances with his speed and that line has become the steadiest on the team.

11. Ethan Moreau - Leads the team with his workmanlike effort on the ice. You will find nary a game that Ethan doesn't lay it all on the line during a game. Unfortunately, his brain at times doesn't correspond with common sense... hence, the poor timing of his penalties. But you cannot knock his effort. His contract also gets better as the years pass.

12. Ty Conklin - goaltender of the future? One can only hope. In his limited showing since old Tommy had the hip problem... Ty has really shined giving the Oilers some reliable goaltending between the pipes. (The defense in front of him is another story)

The rest...
13. Jason Smith
14. Fernando Pisani
15. Marc-Andre Bergeron
16. Jason Chimera
17. Brad Isbister
18. Shawn Horcoff
19. Cory Cross
20. Tommy Salo
21. Scott Ferguson
22. Georges Laraque

N/A Bobby Allen, Peter Sarno, Tony Salmalainen, Stephen Valiquette

H-Bear 12-04-2003 06:57 AM

Well, roster players have been covered fairly effectively here, so I'll give a shot at out top 10 prospects (not including the ones on the roster now).
  1. JDD - Not one other goalie prospect in the system worth mentioning. Losing this guy would not be good.
  2. Alexei Mikhnov - I've got a wonderful feeling about this guy. I think he will be one of our best players one day; just a hunch.
  3. Matthew Greene - A defense prospect with a mean streak.
  4. Jesse Niinimaki - The kid has got some very nice skills.
  5. Pouliot - Makes in ahead of Rita simply because of the depth at LW on the big club.
  6. Rita - LW depth is barrying this guy. Losing him would not be so bad.
  7. Colin McDonald - His Talent Analysis from HF sounds way too much like a young Smyth: "Strengths: Good physical skills and a great shot. He is effective down low and in the corners., goes hard to the net and brings consistency to thr table. He will play at Providence College in 2003-2004. Weaknesses : Not blessed with a lot of natural talent, McDonald gets alot of points through hard work and opportunistic play. Coming out of the EJHL will probably mean some transistion time in College and he might not have an immediate impact with the Friars . What they are saying : " Big strong, htper-aggresive kid. Plays a mean , chippy, borderline dirty game and dominates down low, he owns walls and corners. Does not have a sniper's natural scoring touch around the net ""
  8. Brodziak - High scoring from the right wing is not something we have a lot of. He makes the jump up the list based on lack of depth on the RW.
  9. Doug Lynch - Good D prospect, but certainly not exceptional.
  10. Dan Buam - The organizations only agitator makes a huge jump up the list. I can't wait to watch this guy give Marcy Ducker a taste of his own medicine.

Oiltalk 12-04-2003 07:35 AM

I have to agree with Lowetide on having Oates one of the last. As Miz said. Now and the future.

1.Hemsky-Brightest future
2.Brewer-One step forward; two back. Part of the learning curve
3.York-Most consistant forward
4.Semenov-Most potential after Brewer IMO
5.Staios-Best current dman, not expected to put up offensive numbers in the future.
6.Stoll-Younger than Reasoner, and looks to be the better player as well
7.Conklin-Take over for Salo once he is gone, has been good this season
8. Dvorak-Starting to find his grove, but not so young anymore
9.Bergeron-Powerplay QB of the future, and most scoring ability of the current defenceman
10.Reasoner-Best long term Center in terms of faceoff ability
11.Smyth-Currently the last player to get rid of, but I don't see a spot for him 5 years down the road.
12.Torres-A semi-instegator of which the Oilers have been lacking
13.Moreau-GRIT
14.Smith-Don't see him as being an Oiler for too much longer. Key player in the playoffs.
15.Pisani-Start stepping it up or your days are numbered son
16.Salo-Will come back and get the Oilers into the playoffs this season, but his contract could end up being a one way ticket out.
17.Cross-Reliable, yet slow as molasses. Getting up there in age as well.
18.Chimera-I see him being dealt with all of the LW's in the system.
(Anywhere from10-19.)Isbister-Potential is there. Power forwards take a while, but does he have the desire?
20.Horcoff-(Pouliot, Reasoner, Stoll, Niinimaaki) It was nice knowing you Horcoff
21.Oates-In this one season he will tutor the young guys therefore, contributing more than Ferguson or Laraque could ever dream of.
22.Ferguson-No defensive depth in the system. He is needed for the time being.
23.Laraque+Comrie-to be traded for some immediate help.

rabi_sultan 12-04-2003 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizral
Bleh, have to put my list up tommorrow. Keep in mind, the rule of thumb to work with here is that if you had to get rid of a player from the roster, you'd have the one lowest, and so on.

So for instance, Lowetide had Semenov at #2, which means if he absolutely had to choose, he'd vote York 'off the island' before Semenov. (I'm a huge Semenov fan too, but I dunno, York! Oh well, it's all a personal opinion thing)

jeez well that throws my list in the bin. my list went along with who i felt was the most important for now and the future towards the development of this organisation.

o well

TheChase 12-04-2003 06:15 PM

Hemsky
Smyth
York
Staios
Dvorak
Brewer
Semenov
Smith
Moreau
Torres
Oates
Stoll
Reasoner
Isbister
Conklin
Bergeron
Salmelainen

Walsher 12-04-2003 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GorillazXL
Smyth (say what you want but this guy bleeds the copper and blue)
GXL

What does bleeding copper and blue have to do with anything? Larque is probably the most committed to this team than any other player - he insists he wants to stay here his whole career yet he is last on your list. Smyth hasn't done anything this year. He is becoming a glorified Kelly Buchberger at 3 times the pay.

Walsher 12-04-2003 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oiltalk
2.Brewer-One step forward; two back. Part of the learning curve

What learning curve is this guy actually on anyways? The lifelong unmet potential curve? He has been in the NHL 7 years and he has been regressing in the past 2 seasons. At what point does potential run out and production take place. In this case maybe the Oilers should have held on to Bonsignore because he had a ton of potential. Lets ride it out and see where it gets us.

momentai 12-04-2003 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walsher
Larque is probably the most committed to this team than any other player - he insists he wants to stay here his whole career yet he is last on your list.

He's among the last in most everyone's list for a reason. He is inconsistent at best, doesn't play very physical on every shift, gets paid 1.1 million dollars, and plays 8 minutes a night. This is a list determining importance to the team that includes talent level, leadership, contract, age, and the general importance to the team as a whole when that player is out of the lineup. There's a reason why he's low...