HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Though out...Oiler trade ideas (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=33243)

Larry Fisher 12-04-2003 12:54 AM

Though out...Oiler trade ideas

The fact that Comrie alone is obviously NOT bringing us the return we had hoped for and will Pendegrasts comments about a 2 for 2 or 3 for 3 deal i was thinking.
A package deal is necessary and Jason Smith might be the core ingredient to make a deal go. Smith has been playing pretty solid this year albiet in the shadow of Staios great play. I think Smith could really do wonders for a team with a relatively young defense (Florida/Nashville/Atlanta/Phoenix) and a new Captain, the other Smyth, might boost Ryan's performance and inspire the rest of the team.
Laraque still holds a lot of value league wide because he is respected as probably the best heavyweight when he does fight and he also has the ability to dominate the opposition along the boards.

My proposed deals:

Comrie
Smith
Laraque

For:

Florida

Nilson
Van Ryan
Krajicek
Hordichuk

= Edmonton gets Marcus Nilson who can bring added offense to our present and our future. I don't know how he would fit into the scheme of things with our forwards already overloaded but i am guessing we would find no problems with making room for him, maybe alongside Hemsky. Van Ryan can step up and log 15 minutes a game and maybe even bring us some more offense from the backend...he won't cancel out Smith but he brings a nice set of skills. Krajicek might be the key to any deal with Florida because although MA Bergeron is playing steady and quarterbacking our PP we could use another future rushing d-man with poise. Hordichuk doesn't quite cancel out Laraque skill wise but i think Darcy will be more of an energy player and will be able to change the momentum moreso than Laraque has this season.

Nashville

Legwand
Shishkanov
Brookbank
3rd rounder

= Obviously the offense and potential coming our way seals this deal. Legwand will be a player in this league in the near future he would definitely seal our situation at center and perhaps allow us to run 3 scoring lines. Shishkanov is an intriguing prospect with game breaking upside but i think he could turn out be a Samsonov or an Afiinogenov...the skills are in the bag but whether they can translate to immediate success at the NHL level remains to be seen. Brookbank could probably crack our blueline as a #6 and he would fill the role of enforcer for the departed Laraque. The third rounder just balances everything out.

Atlanta

Hurme
Ilja Nikulin
Brad Schell
2nd rounder

= ***This deal is weaker, the Thrashers are out of the runnings as of now. I looked through Atlantas list of players and properties and aside from Hurme nothing on their current roster intrigues me. Hurme could be had for cheap (mid round pick) because of their goaltending overload so he doesn't hold a lot of trade value but he may hold value to the Oilers if they have any plans involving a separate trade that ships Salo out. Nikulin is a fairly big and mobile defense prospect who would add to our future depth on the backend. Schell has struggled with injuries and consistency over the years but is having a breakout season this year in Spokane...he has a nice set of skills but plays a soft mans game. The second rounder could be changed to either a 1st rounder or else take out the 2nd drop Nikulin and add Coburn...i would think that is Lowe's goal but a 2nd would be reasonable.

Phoenix

Vaananen
Taffe
Spiller
3rd rounder

= This deal would address a lot of Oiler needs current and future. Vaananen gives the Oil an immediate replacement for Smith on the blueline and although they play completely different styles Vaananen could be considered an upgrade. Taffe is and has been for a few years a highly regarded prospect...he would address our need for size and skill at the second position. Spiller is a big strong and young d-man who is not afraid to drop the mitts...he could help cushion the blow of losing Laraque but with Vaananen included in the deal Spiller would likely play most of the year in Toronto. The 3rd rounder is just another balancing act to make this deal work.

I put some thought behind these deals and tried to address each team's needs. Personally as an Oilers fan i would be interested in entertaining all of the packages but in this order: Phoenix, Florida, Nashville and a distant 4th Atlanta.

What do you guys think of these proposals? How realistic are they? Could you see any of them being possible? Which deals do the Oilers give up to much or take in too much value wise?

leafaholix* 12-04-2003 01:05 AM

Good effort.

Blackhawkpride 12-04-2003 01:15 AM

to Hawks

Comrie
Isbister
Brewer
Semenov

To Oilers

Arnason
McCarthy
2nd round pick 2004
Calder
Karpovtsev

Team_Spirit 12-04-2003 01:18 AM

Good read . I think if a deal including Smith is made with Atlanta expect Coburn or Exelby to come in stealtown .

Nashville and Phoenix are the best options imo .

hunter orange 12-04-2003 04:32 AM

Oh my goodness no, Blackhawkpride!!!!

Dr_Gonz0 12-04-2003 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawkpride
to Hawks

Comrie
Isbister
Brewer
Semenov

To Oilers

Arnason
McCarthy
2nd round pick 2004
Calder
Karpovtsev

Are you on crack? That is like me saying this as a counterproposal:

Fergusson
Pisani
3rd

For

Ruttuu
1st

No way, this deal totally favours the Blackhawks, horrible proposal IMO.

Enoch 12-04-2003 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salostyle
Legwand
Shishkanov
Brookbank
3rd rounder

= Obviously the offense and potential coming our way seals this deal. Legwand will be a player in this league in the near future he would definitely seal our situation at center and perhaps allow us to run 3 scoring lines. Shishkanov is an intriguing prospect with game breaking upside but i think he could turn out be a Samsonov or an Afiinogenov...the skills are in the bag but whether they can translate to immediate success at the NHL level remains to be seen. Brookbank could probably crack our blueline as a #6 and he would fill the role of enforcer for the departed Laraque. The third rounder just balances everything out.

I think the Nashville passes. Legwand is our highest draft pick, ever, and he is performing quite well. He is young and is a non-problem, like Comrie. We do not need Laraque as we already have Brookbank, McKenzie, and a slew of other tough guys that are willing to drop the gloves if needed. Also, we do not need Smith. Our blueline is loaded. In fact, we had so many defensemen that we just traded Tomas Kloucek for two prospects, so that we would not have to put him on waivers. Timofei, from all appearnaces so far, is putting everything together. He started out slow, but has just become on fire for the Admirals this year. Also, Legwand, IMO, has higher trade value than Comrie, and he is the only player that the Predators would want in this deal. With that in mind, a respective no.

Larry Fisher 12-04-2003 04:59 PM

thanks for the replys...

With the Oilers most recent loss (1-0) to the Wild it is time for a deal to go down and i am still in favor of moving the players mentioned below;

Comrie
Smith
Laraque

I am still interested in the 4 proposals above but maybe a deal with Buffalo would be able to draw more of a return than the deal with Atlanta.

Comrie, Smith, Laraque

for

Kalinin, Afinogenov, Noronen and Boulton

The Oilers lose experience but gain a quality rushing d-man, a talented offensive player who has yet to break out but is showing signs, a quality netminder who could split duties with Conklin following a Salo deal for either a mid level prospect defenseman or a pair mid round pick, and a partial replacement for Laraque!

In comparison to the first 4 proposals i would rank this one right up there:

1) Phoenix
2) Buffalo
3) Florida
4) Nashville
5) Atlanta

That is how i would rank the deals in terms of addressing the Oilers needs both immediate and long term.

What do you guys think of this new offer and of the other 4 that were on the table?

hunter orange 12-04-2003 05:28 PM

This last deal works the best for both sides. I can, however, think of two big reasons (even though they become a better team with this trade) that Buffalo does not make this trade:

(a) Does Buffalo really want to have Comrie, Briere, Drury and perhaps Roy in their top 6 in the next few years...? They'd be pretty small up front.

(b) Buffalo fans and management love Kalinin...even to the point where they highly overrate him. They would not give up this guy IMO.

Peter Sidorkiewicz 12-04-2003 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salostyle
My proposed deals:

Comrie
Smith
Laraque

For:

Atlanta

Hurme
Ilja Nikulin
Brad Schell
2nd rounder

= ***This deal is weaker, the Thrashers are out of the runnings as of now. I looked through Atlantas list of players and properties and aside from Hurme nothing on their current roster intrigues me. Hurme could be had for cheap (mid round pick) because of their goaltending overload so he doesn't hold a lot of trade value but he may hold value to the Oilers if they have any plans involving a separate trade that ships Salo out. Nikulin is a fairly big and mobile defense prospect who would add to our future depth on the backend. Schell has struggled with injuries and consistency over the years but is having a breakout season this year in Spokane...he has a nice set of skills but plays a soft mans game. The second rounder could be changed to either a 1st rounder or else take out the 2nd drop Nikulin and add Coburn...i would think that is Lowe's goal but a 2nd would be reasonable.

Atlanta would go for that in an instant but I'll be nice and let know why Edmonton should not give up three quality players for potentially no return at all.

Hurme: Recently put on the IR with a back injury. Has been experiencing spasms all season so he will not help the Oilers out anytime soon.
Nikulin: Former 2nd round pick in 2000 is big and a decent prospect, however is currently playing in Russia and many people think he will not ever make the trip over to North America. Was touted last season that he would in NA this season but he is still playing in Russia.
Schell: Is having a breakout season but I think he can still be considered as only a marginal prospect.
2nd Round: With Atlanta playing well it is likely to be a mid to late pick and their is no guarantee that who ever drafted will make the NHL.

I think the best that Edmonton can hopeful from Atlanta for Comrie, Smith and Laraque is a package such as Stefan, Sutton and a 1st Round Pick. At the start of the season you might have got Exelby but he probably been our most consistant d-man so far so he is off-limits. Coburn is definately off-limits so don't bother asking.