HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Matty Norstrom (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=332747)

kingsfan25 01-15-2007 07:06 PM

Matty Norstrom

You guys have any interest in him? Word is your D is pretty thin. I thought I'd gauge interest instead of proposing something you guys would almost certainly shoot down and make me feel bad about.

If there is interest, what would you offer in return?

007 01-15-2007 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan25 (Post 7679618)
You guys have any interest in him? Word is your D is pretty thin. I thought I'd gauge interest instead of proposing something you guys would almost certainly shoot down and make me feel bad about.

If there is interest, what would you offer in return?

Marty McSorley, Jari Kurri, Shane Churla and a time machine.

The very mention of his name gives me a stomachache, though I'm glad he's been so good for you guys over the years.

Choice 01-15-2007 07:40 PM

I would definitely take him if he could be had cheap, havent seen him play regularly recently though so dont know if hes done

Fletch 01-15-2007 08:12 PM

I loved Matty just before he was traded...

thought very highly of him then, and think to this point, he's had a great career and is the kind of team guy you want (Offering the 'C' to Blake was very classy). It just wouldn't be the same having him on this team 10+ years later...

Son of Steinbrenner 01-15-2007 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 7680280)
thought very highly of him then, and think to this point, he's had a great career and is the kind of team guy you want (Offering the 'C' to Blake was very classy). It just wouldn't be the same having him on this team 10+ years later...

Imagine getting ****ed in two Norstrom deals?

Lundqvist=Vezina 01-15-2007 09:09 PM

I watch the Kings regularly and I can't say I recommend trading for Matty. There was a Meet the General Manager Breakfast on Saturday where Kings GM Dean Lombardi answered some questions and he compared what has happened to Norstrom to like what happened to Derian Hatcher post lockout. I guess I would take him if we didn't give up anything but I wouldn't want to trade anything of value. The guy is NOT the same as he once was. I have concerns about him on D just like everyone else on the Rangers. He would be just like another Aaron Ward. I wouldn't really want him.

TomLaidlaw 01-15-2007 09:19 PM

I still have the image of him getting thrown to the ice in our crease and seperating his shoulder. I think that was the last time he wore a Ranger sweater, i could be wrong though. Another in the long list of bad trades we've made when we traded him. I remember seeing him and Aaron Miller log tons of ice for the kings and thinking that should be our D pairing right now.

kingsfan25 01-15-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina (Post 7680925)
I watch the Kings regularly and I can't say I recommend trading for Matty. There was a Meet the General Manager Breakfast on Saturday where Kings GM Dean Lombardi answered some questions and he compared what has happened to Norstrom to like what happened to Derian Hatcher post lockout. I guess I would take him if we didn't give up anything but I wouldn't want to trade anything of value. The guy is NOT the same as he once was. I have concerns about him on D just like everyone else on the Rangers. He would be just like another Aaron Ward. I wouldn't really want him.

Matty is not even close to being as bad as Hatcher.

He's struggled this year, but look at the situation he's in...he's the cornerstone of a D-corps that has to try and protect the worst goalie in the league. He's got a thankless job this season and the people around him haven't exactly been getting the job done defensively (that includes the forwards).

He's lost a step with age, but he's still a good skater...he's still physical...he's still a shot-blocking machine...and he would still be a warrior for any team in the playoffs.

If he were introduced to a better situation than the one he's been in this season, I think you would see an improvement numbers-wise and performance-wise. If he does get dealt, he will bring to the team he goes to a mix of the intangibles needed for post-season success and a skillset that, while not as good as it once was, is still top-4 calibre at the worst.

TomLaidlaw 01-15-2007 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan25 (Post 7681426)
Matty is not even close to being as bad as Hatcher.

He's struggled this year, but look at the situation he's in...he's the cornerstone of a D-corps that has to try and protect the worst goalie in the league. He's got a thankless job this season and the people around him haven't exactly been getting the job done defensively either n(that includes the forwards).

He's lost a step with age, but he's still a good skater...he's still physical...he's still a shot-blocking machine...and he would still be a warrior for any team in the playoffs.

If he were introduced to a better situation than the one he's been in this season, I think you would see an improvement numbers-wise and performance-wise. If he does get dealt, he will bring to the team he goes to a mix of the intangibles needed for post-season success and a skillset that, while not as good as it once was, is still top-4 calibre at the worst.

How much does Matty make and for how long?

kingsfan25 01-15-2007 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw (Post 7681970)
How much does Matty make and for how long?

That's the part that lowers his value a bit. He's signed through next year and his cap hit is 4.25. IMO, if a team has the room, he'd be worth it. But, if your cap situation isn't all that great, then getting him might require shedding some salary.

Pizza 01-15-2007 11:54 PM

Another great player we gave away. Will we ever learn? Sometimes the best thing to do is keep 'em!

eco's bones 01-16-2007 01:14 AM

No doubt about it--one of the worst trades we ever made but 4.25 is a lot and you'd almost have to take Kaspar back which might defeat the whole point in trading Norstrom. Kaspar is also signed through at least next year. I don't think we'd have enough room otherwise and if we did it would cut off the possibility of upgrading our second line which is also a big problem for us. In any case not trading one of our D would give us 9 as we're currently carrying 8.

RangerBoy 01-16-2007 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eco's bones (Post 7683020)
No doubt about it--one of the worst trades we ever made but 4.25 is a lot and you'd almost have to take Kaspar back which might defeat the whole point in trading Norstrom. Kaspar is also signed through at least next year. I don't think we'd have enough room otherwise and if we did it would cut off the possibility of upgrading our second line which is also a big problem for us. In any case not trading one of our D would give us 9 as we're currently carrying 8.

2007-08 is the last season on the Kasparaitis contract-Last year of a six year deal

RangerBoy 01-16-2007 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan25 (Post 7682145)
That's the part that lowers his value a bit. He's signed through next year and his cap hit is 4.25. IMO, if a team has the room, he'd be worth it. But, if your cap situation isn't all that great, then getting him might require shedding some salary.

It's about the cap situation.It's numbers.The Rangers already have Fedor Tyutin,Michal Roszival,Aaron Ward,Marek Malik and Darius Kasparaitis under contract for 2007-08 and hold a $1.8 million QO for Karel Rachunek.Norstrom at this stage of his career and his salary aren't a fit

True Blue Bleed Blue 01-16-2007 02:09 PM

Better than alot of other names I've seen thrown around (Rucinsky, Prospal, Malone)

CM Lundqvist 01-16-2007 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue (Post 7687187)
Better than alot of other names I've seen thrown around (Rucinsky, Prospal, Malone)

Prospal can at least help address a problem.

Norstrom may not be what he used to, but I'd take him over any defenseman on this squad. We need a Norstrom type defenseman, and an offensive guy. Anything to push schlepps like Malik and Orr out of the lineup.