HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OT: Odds Colorado Picks Up CuJo (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=33282)

Leetchie 12-04-2003 06:32 AM

OT: Odds Colorado Picks Up CuJo

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=62909&hubName=

What are the odds that Colorado goes out and picks up Curtis Joseph from the Wings for nothing (waivers)? If I'm Lacroix, I take a shot at Detroit by grabbing Joseph, and hope that he can stick it to the Wings when they play them.

He's the cheapest alternative (asset-wise, not $$ wise). The word is that Kolzig is the man Lacroix will be after, but if he can land Joseph for nothing, why wouldn't he?

Fletch 12-04-2003 06:36 AM

What about the Isles?`

picking him up then trying to move some salary to afford him?

klingsor 12-04-2003 06:38 AM

I'd think Colorado would only do it by a trade (giving Detroit virtually nothing) and having Detroit eat some salary.

Davisian 12-04-2003 06:43 AM

OK, I'll bite..

Hey SBOB, what's up with Klingsor's avatar????

Is that his own personal cement truck for all the Con-Ed fun he's endured??

Leetchie 12-04-2003 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klingsor
I'd think Colorado would only do it by a trade (giving Detroit virtually nothing) and having Detroit eat some salary.

Do you really think Ken Holland would move a high profile goalie like CuJo to Pierre Lacroix's Avs??

klingsor 12-04-2003 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leetchie
Do you really think Ken Holland would move a high profile goalie like CuJo to Pierre Lacroix's Avs??

Probably not, but Detroit's sorta stuck. Paying Cujo a whole lot for nada.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 12-04-2003 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davisian
OK, I'll bite..

Hey SBOB, what's up with Klingsor's avatar????

Is that his own personal cement truck for all the Con-Ed fun he's endured??

I'm not sure but I'm touched by the sentiment.

Maybe some cement shoes?

SingnBluesOnBroadway 12-04-2003 07:53 AM

Quote:

If Holland could get something for Cujo (even if it means eating a mil or two) I think he would. Better to get something for Cujo and pay a mil or so than pay him 8M to play in the minors.

And I don't think that Holland would not deal with the Avs just because they might meet in the playoffs at some point.

QcS 12-04-2003 08:01 AM

if i'm Cujo, i tell Lacroix to pick me up on waivers and renegociate my contract. That's IF i wanna play.

If i just want the money, then i let the Wings finish paying me off and i play in the AHL or on my playstation.

Servo 12-04-2003 08:03 AM

Now, I've never liked Hasek, so I'm probably not too objective, but does anyone else agree its disgraceful what he's done here (and that Holland and the Wings have gone along with it)? He made a conscious decision to retire, then decides to come back but refuses to play for a different team, knowing perfectly well that CuJo has only recently signed a deal. Its perfectly clear in how he talks that he doesn't care about CuJo in the least. (Just look at how he whined over CuJo being in the dressing room earlier in the season. He was there first, you jerk! You're the one who abandoned the team as soon as you got your precious Cup.) This could be devastating to the career of one of the finest goaltenders in the game (Curtis Joseph does not deserve to be on waivers, or playing in Grand Rapids or wherever the hell he's going to end up), and only so Mr. Ego can play where he wants to play. If I were Ken Holland I would have given Hasek two choices, let us trade your rights, or stay in Europe. The Wings can win with CuJo and Legacy as well as they can with Hasek.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 12-04-2003 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leph28
if i'm Cujo, i tell Lacroix to pick me up on waivers and renegociate my contract. That's IF i wanna play.

If i just want the money, then i let the Wings finish paying me off and i play in the AHL or on my playstation.

Good point. If I was Cujo, I would negotiate it down to a lower base salary and then load it with incentives.

True Blue 12-04-2003 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Servo
The Wings can win with CuJo and Legacy as well as they can with Hasek.

They didn't though, did they? Hasek was there for one year and they won. Cujo was there for one year and they did not make the Finals. All things being equal, I do not think that there is one GM in the entire NHL that would rather go to war with Cujo instead of Hasek. Right or wrong, Detroit did what any team would do. They went with the player who gives them a better chance to win.

ddheyman 12-04-2003 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Servo
Now, I've never liked Hasek, so I'm probably not too objective, but does anyone else agree its disgraceful what he's done here (and that Holland and the Wings have gone along with it)? He made a conscious decision to retire, then decides to come back but refuses to play for a different team, knowing perfectly well that CuJo has only recently signed a deal. Its perfectly clear in how he talks that he doesn't care about CuJo in the least. (Just look at how he whined over CuJo being in the dressing room earlier in the season. He was there first, you jerk! You're the one who abandoned the team as soon as you got your precious Cup.) This could be devastating to the career of one of the finest goaltenders in the game (Curtis Joseph does not deserve to be on waivers, or playing in Grand Rapids or wherever the hell he's going to end up), and only so Mr. Ego can play where he wants to play. If I were Ken Holland I would have given Hasek two choices, let us trade your rights, or stay in Europe. The Wings can win with CuJo and Legacy as well as they can with Hasek.

No ... he decided to retire, ok, now he changed his mind. Detroit would much rather have him than CUJO. They are very happy that he unretired, they had hoped to be able to trade CUJO ... didn't work out. Why should he care about CUJO ... they're both being paid regardless, not his job to worry about the "emotional" well being of a grown man. CUJO will be fine, if he was this great goaltender, someone would pick him up on waivers ... this issue is that he used to be a good goaltender, got paid a lot, and isn't really that good anymore. Thats why no one is taking him right now.

Servo 12-04-2003 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddheyman
No ... he decided to retire, ok, now he changed his mind. Detroit would much rather have him than CUJO. They are very happy that he unretired, they had hoped to be able to trade CUJO ... didn't work out. Why should he care about CUJO ... they're both being paid regardless, not his job to worry about the "emotional" well being of a grown man. CUJO will be fine, if he was this great goaltender, someone would pick him up on waivers ... this issue is that he used to be a good goaltender, got paid a lot, and isn't really that good anymore. Thats why no one is taking him right now.

No one is taking him because of what's going to happen after this season. He's still an excellent goaltender - he had a mediocre year last year. Just what has Hasek done this year besides play mediocre hockey and pop his groin?

Fletch 12-04-2003 10:43 AM

Bottom line...

is the decision is with Detroit. They didn't have to take Hasek back. They wanted Hasek back because Cujo didn't get the job done - as Hasek did. Hasek's the superior goalie and Detroit cannot carry both, obviously. It's a shame there's no place for Cujo to go, but perhaps renegotiating his contract is the only way to go for him right now. In essence, he's a UFA.

LiquidClown 12-04-2003 02:58 PM

Anyone else find it humourous? I think it is.....Cujo left because he thought he could win a cup and make big money while doing it........that decision came and bit HIM in the ***.

Trottier 12-04-2003 03:54 PM

Quote:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=62909&hubName=

What are the odds that Colorado goes out and picks up Curtis Joseph from the Wings for nothing (waivers)? If I'm Lacroix, I take a shot at Detroit by grabbing Joseph, and hope that he can stick it to the Wings when they play them.

He's the cheapest alternative (asset-wise, not $$ wise). The word is that Kolzig is the man Lacroix will be after, but if he can land Joseph for nothing, why wouldn't he?

Have you bothered to notice how Aebischer has played and how the team is doing? Are you aware of Joseph's ordinary playoff career?

Besides, Lacroix has not made his reputation by simply acquiring big name player$ for little reason.

Leetchie 12-04-2003 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier
Have you bothered to notice how Aebischer has played and how the team is doing? Are you aware of Joseph's ordinary playoff career?

Besides, Lacroix has not made his reputation by simply acquiring big name player$ for little reason.

Until Aebischer wins in the playoffs, he hasn't done anything. Have you seen Cechmanek over the past three seasons? Has he won? He was dealt for a draft pick.

Joseph may not have won recently (or at all?), but that doesn't mean he can't do it. Some goaltenders are built to play on certain teams, some are not.

#37-#93-#27* 12-04-2003 04:16 PM

Quote:

Until Aebischer wins in the playoffs, he hasn't done anything. Have you seen Cechmanek over the past three seasons? Has he won? He was dealt for a draft pick.

Joseph may not have won recently (or at all?), but that doesn't mean he can't do it. Some goaltenders are built to play on certain teams, some are not.

I'd rather take the chance on a unknown then a known failure. Cuchoke will never win the cup.