HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Power play (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=33292)

coyote 12-04-2003 07:12 AM

Power play

Why does everyone seem to skirt the real issue of the power play. Since the middle of last year we basically had the same guys on the power play with the same result; BAD. Even strength we are holding our own but the games are mostly won or lost by the special teams nowadays. Yesterday 5 on 3 we do not get a shot on net what is wrong with this picture. Maybe MacTavish should send out some of his bottom players and let the big guys sit. Even for a whole game; what could it hurt you are not winning anyways and maybe it would send a message to these so called top players. You learn by experimenting not by doing the same thing over and over again. Maybe if you gave some of the other players more responsibilty it would change this team around. After the dismal performance of the 5 on 3 what do the Oilers do in the last minute with the man advantage, they put the same players out with the same results. You can not blame the fans for booing.

s7ark 12-04-2003 07:56 AM

The problem with out power play and penalty kill aare the exact same. We don't skate. Simply put here is the issue (look at last night's 5 on 3 for an example.

we setup our 5 people all around the outside (no one infront of the net, but that is a separate point) and pass it around until someone loses patience and takes a low percentage chance shot from the blue line or a bad angle. we never moved once we just passed it around. All the wild had to do was stay put and take away any cross ice passing lanes and the PP was killed. If we skate with the puck on the PP then the defenders have to move to to keep their assignments. That creates what I like to call "openings" , you know, ones we can pass through? By staying mobile and quickly throwing it around the ice the defenders can't cover everyone and someone misses an assignment sometime. then we can get some cross ice passes going. Like the kind Vancouver scores on all the time. It you give any goalie in the NHL a good view of the puck and time to set himself positionally then they will make the save everytime. That is why cross-ice one-timers are so effective (that is where we really miss Carter as much as I hate to say it).

Same with the PK - skate and pressure the puck handler - don't just sit there and let them throw it around, force them to pass quicker then they want to, not have time to get it to the open guy. USE YOUR SPEED DAMN IT!!!! IT IS YOUR BEST ASSET AND YOU AREN'T USING IT FOR EVERY PP AND PK.

At least that is my thoughts.

hmminvisiblecola1279 12-04-2003 08:06 AM

precisely right szark, standing around and waiting for the play to develop is suicide. both the pp and pk are a complete joke and i imagine teams salivate at the thought of playing the oilers because of them, a la joe thornton(dont start with that crap about the oilers style of play). obviously the current coaching staff is unwilling to make changes so the status quo will continue. ive been ranting for quite some time about how the players stand around on the powerplay, look at the canucks for example, who cares if they have more talent, puck movement and player movement has made them into a successful team.
in this day and age special teams can make or break a team and right now the oilers are broken.

dawgbone 12-04-2003 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
precisely right szark, standing around and waiting for the play to develop is suicide. both the pp and pk are a complete joke and i imagine teams salivate at the thought of playing the oilers because of them, a la joe thornton(dont start with that crap about the oilers style of play). obviously the current coaching staff is unwilling to make changes so the status quo will continue. ive been ranting for quite some time about how the players stand around on the powerplay, look at the canucks for example, who cares if they have more talent, puck movement and player movement has made them into a successful team.
in this day and age special teams can make or break a team and right now the oilers are broken.

It is the style of play... for christ sake's the guy frigging threatened to retire because of all the clutching and grabbing a week before the game.

Mowzie 12-04-2003 12:32 PM

tell me if this would work for our pp...

once we are set up in their zone, having one guy who basically just skates around getting in the defenders eyes, that way they see an oiler blow by him and they chase him, missing their assignment. kinda like Hull in Detroit, just have one guy who never stops skating and forces the defender to choose between his assignment and the guy blowing past him. it seems like it would work. thats what i do in floor hockey, just buzz around for a while.

Walsher 12-04-2003 12:40 PM

I like the idea of putting plugs on the ice for the odd PP. Frankly they simplify to game to getting traffic and shots. Generally the oilers had success early in the year with RPM out there in the few cases they were because they play with passion every shift. To me it looks more as though the "top players" are seeing it more as an opportunity to recharge rather than the chance to burry a team or climb back into a game. It all comes down to desperation - desperate team find a way to succeed. That is clearly lacking right now.

HOZ 12-04-2003 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark
The problem with out power play and penalty kill aare the exact same. We don't skate. Simply put here is the issue (look at last night's 5 on 3 for an example.

we setup our 5 people all around the outside (no one infront of the net, but that is a separate point) and pass it around until someone loses patience and takes a low percentage chance shot from the blue line or a bad angle. we never moved once we just passed it around. All the wild had to do was stay put and take away any cross ice passing lanes and the PP was killed. If we skate with the puck on the PP then the defenders have to move to to keep their assignments. That creates what I like to call "openings" , you know, ones we can pass through? By staying mobile and quickly throwing it around the ice the defenders can't cover everyone and someone misses an assignment sometime. then we can get some cross ice passes going. Like the kind Vancouver scores on all the time. It you give any goalie in the NHL a good view of the puck and time to set himself positionally then they will make the save everytime. That is why cross-ice one-timers are so effective (that is where we really miss Carter as much as I hate to say it).

Same with the PK - skate and pressure the puck handler - don't just sit there and let them throw it around, force them to pass quicker then they want to, not have time to get it to the open guy. USE YOUR SPEED DAMN IT!!!! IT IS YOUR BEST ASSET AND YOU AREN'T USING IT FOR EVERY PP AND PK.

At least that is my thoughts.

Good analysis. But the problems starts right form the faceoff. PP and PK are about puck control and the Oilers lose it asap. Once out of the zone (or in it for PK) it is tough to regain control inside.

Vancouver benefits form the fact they have 2 of the top scorers in the league on it. Naslund controls the puck and dishes it around. Bertuzzi sits on the goalie and collects the garbage. Now if the Oiler could get a guy as big and as good as Bertuzzi in front....a lots of problems would solve themselves. :D

hmminvisiblecola1279 12-04-2003 04:04 PM

ok dawgbone obviously you missed my point. :eek: :shakehead. next time i will put it in bold so perhaps even you can figure it out.