HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Broke back (need advice) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=332979)

Methane 01-16-2007 11:51 AM

Broke back (need advice)
 
In '05 I suffered a burst fracture in my lower back. I've since been screwed back together and I'm doing fine. I'd like to return to playing but I'm a bit paranoid about further injury. Have any of you had such an injury and returned to playing? Any special precautions or gear you made sure to have or use?

I was thinking about buying a HIGH end pair of pants with great tail bone / butt padding and a back brace. Or the combination of a girdle, brace and good pants. Any comments, thoughts or divine revelations?

WashCapsfan4life8 01-16-2007 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methane (Post 7685632)
In '05 I suffered a burst fracture in my lower back. I've since been screwed back together and I'm doing fine. I'd like to return to playing but I'm a bit paranoid about further injury. Have any of you had such an injury and returned to playing? Any special precautions or gear you made sure to have or use?

I was thinking about buying a HIGH end pair of pants with great tail bone / butt padding and a back brace. Or the combination of a girdle, brace and good pants. Any comments, thoughts or divine revelations?

Trust me like an injury like that dont go back to playing. I broke a muscle tendon in my right wrist by getting hit with a puck, pads didnt cover that spot, and it was a slap shot. I had surgery in Feb of 2006 and had it fixed and went back to playing in August 2006 and now i am having surgery on friday to have t fixed again. I love the sport but i cant play anymore most likely after this. My advice: dont go back to playing cuz once injured like that the weakest of hits can damage it again. But thats just my advice

EDIT: Not broke, tore(proper term for it)

Taz 01-16-2007 12:59 PM

Best advise would be to speak to your doctor about it, and do non contact hockey.

WashCapsfan4life8 01-16-2007 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz (Post 7686367)
Best advise would be to speak to your doctor about it, and do non contact hockey.

My doctor said i can go back but he was wrong. So i dont know if listening to the doctor is a good idea, then again it might be the best idea.

canadian_man_44 01-16-2007 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methane (Post 7685632)
In '05 I suffered a burst fracture in my lower back. I've since been screwed back together and I'm doing fine. I'd like to return to playing but I'm a bit paranoid about further injury. Have any of you had such an injury and returned to playing? Any special precautions or gear you made sure to have or use?

I was thinking about buying a HIGH end pair of pants with great tail bone / butt padding and a back brace. Or the combination of a girdle, brace and good pants. Any comments, thoughts or divine revelations?

As long as the area that was injured is well protected, you should be alright. Give it a try and see how it goes. If it doesn't feel right then you probably shouldn't play, however, I've known people with some bad back injuries that came back and played after it was fixed. Just don't play full contact.

Methane 01-16-2007 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz (Post 7686367)
Best advise would be to speak to your doctor about it, and do non contact hockey.

Non contact was the what I was looking at an "I" league at first, then D. The doc wants me to be more active, and this would give me a reason to do so.

My biggest issue is with gear and such. My old Easton pants are pretty crappy and wanted some recommendations for some with nice padding in the butt / tail bone area.

I also have a direct query in with HabsFan 32 regarding his post here http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2268363&postcount=41

WashCapsfan4life8 01-16-2007 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methane (Post 7686450)
Non contact was the what I was looking at an "I" league at first, then D. The doc wants me to be more active, and this would give me a reason to do so.

My biggest issue is with gear and such. My old Easton pants are pretty crappy and wanted some recommendations for some with nice padding in the butt / tail bone area.

I used CCM Pants they were pretty good

A little OT: I also stopped playing cause i had 3 head injuries in 8 games
in 8 games though 5 goals 4 assists 9 pts

1st time knocked out for 3-6 seconds(my coach counted) no concussion, bruised head(or watever)
2nd time knocked out for 10 seconds(see above^) Concussion
3rd time knocked out for 30 seconds(see above^) Concussion

Doctor Hook 01-16-2007 01:19 PM

I think you should comeback and definitely get the best pants and shoulder pads you can get for protection in that area. Just know your limitations, obviously play noncontact, and keep it positive.

Also, maybe you should play defense instead of forward, since forwards get hacked and crosschecked in the back a lot when they're in the crease. I know this because I play D and I like to hack and crosscheck:)

triggrman 01-16-2007 01:47 PM

I broke two vertibrae's in a car wreck, I took 3 years off but I'm back playing now, no problems with the back.

ALF AmericanLionsFan 01-16-2007 02:03 PM

Just take it easy and play non contact.....

Greeneye 01-16-2007 02:44 PM

I fractured a vertebrae in 2000 and I didn't miss much playing time (bad move). I would suggest you do exercises that strengthen your back before you play again. Other than a decent pair of pants I don't take any precautions and I don't worry about it anymore. I think exercise helped me out more than anything. It is now a lot stronger than it ever was pre-accident.

abe jr 01-16-2007 04:16 PM

lol @ brokeback advice....but seriously stick to non contact.

Methane 01-16-2007 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Abe Lincoln Jr (Post 7688639)
lol @ brokeback advice....but seriously stick to non contact.

Glad I could make you giggle like the little school girl you are! :D

Wooty 01-16-2007 06:12 PM

How old are you? get in an adult hockey league. If you have real issues, maybe look to get into a 35 year old and up league. They may let you in if you have real issues and show maturity.
What about trying goalie? Is it the contact you are afraid of or the movement/stretching?

What about a girdle and shell? Those look like pretty strong pads

Traktor* 01-16-2007 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methane (Post 7685632)
In '05 I suffered a burst fracture in my lower back. I've since been screwed back together and I'm doing fine. I'd like to return to playing but I'm a bit paranoid about further injury. Have any of you had such an injury and returned to playing? Any special precautions or gear you made sure to have or use?

I was thinking about buying a HIGH end pair of pants with great tail bone / butt padding and a back brace. Or the combination of a girdle, brace and good pants. Any comments, thoughts or divine revelations?

johnofgod.com

The guy cured my friends dad of cancer. The blind see, and the cripple walk. The guy has even cured people of aids. If your thinking it's a scam it isn't. It's free. Because "God does the work" he doesn't charge.

"Reports by scientists from all over the world support claims of miraculous healings of every malady known and unknown, including incurable cancers, lupus disease and 139 cases (at the time of writing) of AIDS. Many come with their white coats of scepticism, but all leave totally convinced that he is a genuine paranormal phenomenon of medicine."

Maybe he can help.

Methane 01-16-2007 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkd88 (Post 7690066)
How old are you? get in an adult hockey league. If you have real issues, maybe look to get into a 35 year old and up league. They may let you in if you have real issues and show maturity.
What about trying goalie? Is it the contact you are afraid of or the movement/stretching?

What about a girdle and shell? Those look like pretty strong pads

I'm 30 and would be going for an adult league. Like I said I'll try an I league first and see how it goes.

I was thinking a girdle and pants to be safe.

Not sure what to think about the comment above this one. ^^^^^

JLHockeyKnight 01-16-2007 08:12 PM

I assume your playing ice. Try roller hockey. I play roller, I mean, its a slower game, slower shots for the most part, and you should be able to transition over easily.

Still, back injuries are serious, and my recommendation would be consult a doctor, or not play at all.

Wooty 01-16-2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight25 (Post 7692573)
I assume your playing ice. Try roller hockey. I play roller, I mean, its a slower game, slower shots for the most part, and you should be able to transition over easily.

Still, back injuries are serious, and my recommendation would be consult a doctor, or not play at all.

Oh ok, I am 41 and play at the lowest level and the middle levels. The lower levels are much tougher but very little physical stuff really happens.

Just don't go to the crease area.

Gino 14 01-18-2007 07:17 AM

Since you've talked to your doctor and he's OK'ed it, maybe you might also want to ask him about conditioning to get you ready to play. The better shape you're in when you start, the less the chances are that you will get hurt.

Also, I have to agree with the protection issue, get good pads, not just good pants, and upgrade your brain bucket if it's even questionable.

Have fun.

MikeD 01-18-2007 12:42 PM

on Ginos note, ask your doctor about Pilates: balanced body. After suffereing a major back injury myself, that left me paralyzed from the waist down for 10 days and in a wheel chare for several months i have to say it was a god send. It is not the normal mat type works that are associated with Pilates. Insurance should cover it as a physical therapy program. Mine did....

Methane 01-19-2007 11:19 AM

Thanks for the pointers and advice.

I have been seeing a Ortho in regards to my back. I'm going to see if I can get a referal to a Doc that does Sports Medicine. I'll check into the rehab and Pilates stuff and see if insurance will pay for it.

As for gear, I picked up a pair of CCM 892 pants from the local Hockey World along with a pair of Vector 8.0 shoulder pads so I should be covered with good padding.

If a mod reads this can we unlock the Links to Internet Hockey Stores thread? It's missing http://www.hockeyworld.com.

MikeD 01-19-2007 01:05 PM

you can also drop an email to webmaster@hfboards.com

Wooty 01-19-2007 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methane (Post 7724559)
Thanks for the pointers and advice.

I have been seeing a Ortho in regards to my back. I'm going to see if I can get a referal to a Doc that does Sports Medicine. I'll check into the rehab and Pilates stuff and see if insurance will pay for it.

As for gear, I picked up a pair of CCM 892 pants from the local Hockey World along with a pair of Vector 8.0 shoulder pads so I should be covered with good padding.

If a mod reads this can we unlock the Links to Internet Hockey Stores thread? It's missing http://www.hockeyworld.com.

I do pilates (when I am not being lazy) from a DVD. It is really easy, just floor work wearing shorts. Nothing else is needed for the basics.

I think I copied the dvd from netflix :(

Keetz 01-19-2007 06:05 PM

Not sure Non-contact hockey exists....

Does it?

I play non-checking and theres plenty of contact. I get hit and smothered all the time, without penalties being called. they are not checks just fairplay on the body.

I say go for it. You need to stay extreamly active to fully recover right? try to play more than once a week. You'll be doing yourself a favor!

EmptyNetter 01-19-2007 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keetz (Post 7729081)
Not sure Non-contact hockey exists....

Does it?

I play non-checking and theres plenty of contact. I get hit and smothered all the time, without penalties being called. they are not checks just fairplay on the body.

I was thinking the same thing. At the very least players fall each other or jostle for the puck. At worst, tripping and checking happen but the instigator either goes to the box or gets ejected but you still get hit. Good idea consulting a specialist in sports medicine. Should be able to provide advice that's sports specific.

Sounds like your heart's set on hockey but swimming or yoga would be less impact on your back. Good luck. Our team captain just resigned because his back issues were too much for him to deal with. If it doesn't work out and you want to stay close to the game you could always try coaching.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.