HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   12/4 Gameday: Coyotes @ Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=33333)

Kozak72 12-04-2003 08:56 AM

12/4 Gameday: Coyotes @ Sabres

PHOENIX at BUFFALO
Dec 4, 2003 at 7:00 PM Eastern
NO local TV (hope you have Center Ice)

(Sports Network) - The Phoenix Coyotes hope to stretch their unbeaten streak to four games tonight when they resume the current road trip at HSBC Arena against the Buffalo Sabres.

Phoenix is 2-0-1 on the heels of a three-game losing streak. On Tuesday, the Coyotes posted a 3-1 win over the New Jersey Devils in the second portion of a five-game trek.

David Tanabe set up the go-ahead goal and scored another during a span of 66 seconds in the third period to lift Phoenix. Tyson Nash and Chris Gratton also scored for the Coyotes, who, despite being last in the standings, are only three points out of first in the crowded Pacific Division.

Sean Burke finished with 27 saves in the victory. The Coyotes also snapped an 0-5-5-1 road skid, winning for the first time away from home since October 15 at Florida.

Phoenix, now 3-5-5-1 on the road, will continue its venture Friday in Philadelphia.

Buffalo, meanwhile, has won three of its last four, including Wednesday's 3-2 road triumph versus woeful Chicago. Dmitri Kalinin and Maxim Afinogenov scored in the third period, and Daniel Briere tallied as well. Mika Noronen stopped 22 shots between the pipes.

Briere and Afinogenov have been picking up the scoring pace of late. Briere has three goals in the last three games, while Afinogenov has recorded two. Briere is tied with J.P. Dumont for the club lead with eight markers overall.

The Sabres, 6-3-1-1 on home ice, open a four-game set tonight and will host Tampa Bay on Saturday.

Buffalo and Phoenix split two games last season, and the road team has won the last five meetings. The Coyotes are 3-0-3 in their last six trips to Buffalo.

PHOENIX COYOTES:
Current Stats
OVERALL 8-9-6-1
CONFERENCE 6-5-5-1
DIVISION 3-3-2-1
HOME 5-4-1-0
AWAY 3-5-5-1
LAST 10 4-3-3-0
STREAK Unbeaten in 3

Who's Hot

Ladislav Nagy (LW)
5 pts in last 3 GP
Shane Doan (RW)
5 pts in last 3 GP
Tyson Nash (LW)
4 pts in last 3 GP
David Tanabe (D)
3 pts in last 3 GP
Mike Sillinger (C)
3 pts in last 3 GP
Chris Gratton (C/LW)
3 pts in last 4 GP
Ossi Vaananen (D)
2 pts in last 3 GP
Radoslav Suchy (D)
2 pts in last 3 GP
Paul Mara (D)
2 pts in last 3 GP
Sean Burke (G)
1-0-1, 1.92, .941 in last 2 GPI
Brian Boucher (G)
0-1-0, 1.29, .950 in last 2 GPI

Who's Cold

Matthew Spiller (D)
0 pts in last 11 GP
Brian Savage (LW)
0 pts in last 6 GP
Daniel Cleary (LW/RW)
0 pts in last 6 GP
Jeff Taffe (C)
0 pts in last 6 GP
Branko Radivojevic (RW)
1 pts in last 8 GP
Daymond Langkow (C)
2 pts in last 6 GP

Current Injuries

Zac Bierk (G)
Strained hip flexor, day-to-day
Bryan Helmer (D)
Left shoulder injury, early January
Jan Hrdina (C/LW)
Fractured toe, early December
Mike Johnson (RW)
Left shoulder surgery, late February

BUFFALO SABRES:
Current Stats
OVERALL 12-11-2-1
CONFERENCE 6-7-2-1
DIVISION 3-1-1-0
HOME 6-3-1-1
AWAY 6-8-1-0
LAST 10 5-4-0-1
STREAK Won 1

Who's Hot

Daniel Briere (C)
6 pts in last 4 GP
Maxim Afinogenov (RW)
4 pts in last 3 GP
Dmitri Kalinin (D)
4 pts in last 4 GP
Taylor Pyatt (LW)
3 pts in last 4 GP

Who's Cold

Henrik Tallinder (D)
0 pts in last 20 GP
Andy Delmore (D)
0 pts in last 6 GP
Jochen Hecht (LW/RW)
0 pts in last 6 GP
Eric Boulton (LW)
0 pts in last 6 GP
Chris Taylor (C)
0 pts in last 5 GP
Rory Fitzpatrick (D)
0 pts in last 3 GP
James Patrick (D)
0 pts in last 3 GP
Miroslav Satan (RW)
0 pts in last 3 GP
Adam Mair (RW/C)
1 pts in last 5 GP
Chris Drury (C/LW)
1 pts in last 3 GP
Ales Kotalik (RW/LW)
1 pts in last 3 GP
Martin Biron (G)
1-3-0, 3.27, .874 in last 4 GPI

Current Injuries

Tim Connolly (C)
Concussion, sidelined indefinitely
Jay McKee (D)
Knee injury, day-to-day

CelticSabre 12-04-2003 12:40 PM

Sabres 2-1...close game and as much as I want Norenon to start I have a feeling Ruff will go with Marty

Satan, Kotalik

Doan

Ruckus007 12-04-2003 04:36 PM

win one, lose one, win one, lose one

Phoenix
David Tanabe (4) Assists: Mike Sillinger (4), Shane Doan (15)
Chris Gratton (5) Assists: Branko Radivojevic (4), Brian Savage (4)
Branko Radivojevic (6) Assists: Paul Mara (13), Shane Doan (16)

Brian Boucher: stopped 34 of 36, 1-2-1

Buffalo
J.P. Dumont (9) Assist: Jochen Hecht (3)
Daniel Briere (9)pp Assists: Jochen Hecht (4), J.P. Dumont (13)

Mika Noronen: stopped 28 of 31, 6-5-0

attendance: 11,956

Takeo 12-04-2003 04:38 PM

Phewwwww, back to normal. Some good ole .500 hockey. I was a little uncomfortable being 1 game over.

Ruckus007 12-04-2003 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeo21
Phewwwww, back to normal. Some good ole .500 hockey. I was a little uncomfortable being 1 game over.

Yeah, I was getting a bit worried too. It's nice to see we're back to making crappy back-up goalies look like Vezina candidates too. Boy, if Phoenix is trying to unload Boucher they might've just gotten an early Christmas with this game.

Takeo 12-04-2003 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckus007
Yeah, I was getting a bit worried too. It's nice to see we're back to making crappy back-up goalies look like Vezina candidates too. Boy, if Phoenix is trying to unload Boucher they might've just gotten an early Christmas with this game.

And where would we be w/o the Hecht/Briere/Dumont line?? Seriously.

They actually account for 31% (49 of 158) of the points scored by the team, which seems only slightly above average for a top line, but the team has ridden them unmercifully for about two weeks now.

Devils Advocate 12-04-2003 09:11 PM

Quote:

you obviously haven't watched him play this year. Boosh has played extremely well when given the opportunity.

Takeo 12-05-2003 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddhaful
you obviously haven't watched him play this year. Boosh has played extremely well when given the opportunity.

That said, he got his first W last night.

Ruckus007 12-05-2003 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takeo21
That said, he got his first W last night.

And he's not exactly a top flight goalie either. I've seen plenty of Boucher over his career, he may be playing well, but he's not very good.

Devils Advocate 12-05-2003 05:40 AM

Quote:

And he's not exactly a top flight goalie either. I've seen plenty of Boucher over his career, he may be playing well, but he's not very good.

Well, I didn't call him a top-flight goalie, just defending him & disputing your 'crappy backup goalie' comment.

Anyways, glad the Coyotes got the victory & that both Gratton & Briere scored.

peace~!