HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Who else out there is rooting for a loss? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=333803)

Shadowrunner 01-18-2007 11:40 AM

Who else out there is rooting for a loss?

First, I want to reiterate that I have been a fan of NYR from 1996, and it it specifically because I am a fan that I am now rooting for this team to lose on basically a daily basis.

If we stay anywhere close to 7-8th playoff spot by trade deadline, we will probably see another "scoring depth" vet (at the expense of a pick or prospect) coming into a system that is already a frightening reminder of what we've all been exposed to for 7 years before the lockout.

The obvious truth is that we are not good enough to win the Cup; hell, we are not even good enough to put up an entertaining first-round series. Last season was a result of unbelievable performances from just one forward and one goaltender. Last year's playoffs and this season are examples of what happens when even one of those elements isn't repeated (even with the addition of someone like Shanny).

I am truly hoping that the hockey gods will help the management get off this path with some good ol' fashioned losing hockey that we've all gotten used to. Hopefully this time, after so, so many years of mediocrity, we'll take a look at the Senators or the Sabres or the Thrashers, and learn how to manage a hockey organization the right way.

McRanger 01-18-2007 11:54 AM

They didnt make any major moves at the last trading deadline, something that we could have bet on in year past with the team SO close to finally getting back to the playoffs, so I dont think its a far gone conclusion that a big move will be made.

As for winning the cup, you are right the Rangers probably arent a contender, but I doubt they would be any more of an underdog than Edmonton was when they went into the playoffs last year.

Besides, losing doesnt necessarily mean we get rid of Sather. Just for that, there is no reason to root for a loss IMO.

Fire Sather 01-18-2007 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McRanger (Post 7710406)
but I doubt they would be any more of an underdog than Edmonton was when they went into the playoffs last year.

Which is why they play the games. No one thought they would somehow make a cup run..

We still have to get in, though.

swedishfish 01-18-2007 12:06 PM

i'd rather root for the rangers to pull of miracles, gel, and have increased scoring depth as everyone on the team obtain mutant super powers.

it is, however, unlikely.

rooting for them to lose won't make any dramatic changes since the managements does not seem to listen to fans in the first place, not that it really is their place to do so.

Larry Melnyk 01-18-2007 12:13 PM

Believe me, I feel your pain..I used to feel that way for years, but not with this team..

I probably hold this team in higher regard then most...If you somehow find this team a 2nd C to play with Shanny (kid call up or trade) and give it two lines, I think you have a pretty good team that, IF COACHED RIGHT, could win in the POs...Look who won the CUP last year after aquiring Weight and Recchi?

I have no doubt the Rangers will make the move for that C but can't say I have much confidence in Renney to get this team playing their best...Still, with some slim hope, I'd rather them win the games..

Fletch 01-18-2007 12:13 PM

I don't root for them to lose...

I do often have a hard time being real rah-rah and giving as much a poop as I did in the 70s, parts of the 80s, the 90s and before Sather arrived. The reason though is varied - you get older and care less about certain things (and in a season like this, that's my issue), and I'm not in love with some of the players and the style of play(sometimes hard to not like a player then like him). The potential kids excite me and I want to see them realize their potential.

Bottom line, though, is as much as I dislike Sather and think Renney's a 'C' coach, I can't bring myself to root against them. The minute I do, a Islanders fan or Devils fan pooh-poohs the Rangers and your blood gets going and you remember you're a Rangers fan not matter what.

BwayBshirt 01-18-2007 12:18 PM

if we're talking about a possible no.1 spot in the draft come march then yes, lose away.

outside of that, there's never a reason to root for a team to lose.

at some point, we as fans, not just us rangers folks but everybody, have to understand that what we are seeing now is the kind of parity we will see for at least another 4 years and probably more. get used to mixed feelings about every team for a long time.

and regardless of how the season finishes, if this team is around for the postseason i'll root just as hard for them to win as i always have.

VEGASRANGERFAN 01-18-2007 12:20 PM

I pay $130 a season just to watch the Rangers play on Center Ice. I will never root for a loss!

007 01-18-2007 12:22 PM

I never root for the team to lose. Even if there's a possibility of a No. 1 pick, for a team to play to lose, or for the fans to hope for them to lose, allows the rot to set in. Teams that win have a winning attitude. They play to win no matter what, even when the situation is hopeless.

This is exactly what Brendan Shanahan has been talking about this season: in Detroit, they were never satisfied. The flip side of that coin is, no matter how badly things are going, you never, ever, ever go for a loss. You need to have more pride than that as a team and we as fans need to make it known that we accept nothing less.

dank 01-18-2007 01:20 PM

the only time i want them to lose, is when they play poorly, but only when its IN the game. i.e. the Ottawa game, they were down 4-0, i wanted them to get blown out so they could feel the sickening feeling that they should have, that can (hopefully) spur them forwards.

Same thing with wanting them to get swept against the Devils last spring.. if they had won one, it wouldnt look so bad. kind of giving an excuse, making it feel better.

players should never be satisfied, and get sick to their stomachs hen they are playing poorly. thats the only time i want them to lose, to shake them up.

Fletch 01-18-2007 01:25 PM

dank...

I felt the same way..I was like, good, Ottawa, teach these guys a lesson. Wake Renney up. Wake the players up. Let's see what kind of mettle this team has. Of course, then came goal after goal and while I'd say out loud, it's too late, inside I was saying, let's go to OT baby and get the win and right this ship!

Oddly enough, they finished that game with a flurry and didn't build on any momentum it seemed.

CM Lundqvist 01-18-2007 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 7710640)
I do often have a hard time being real rah-rah and giving as much a poop as I did in the 70s, parts of the 80s, the 90s and before Sather arrived. The reason though is varied - you get older and care less about certain things (and in a season like this, that's my issue), and I'm not in love with some of the players and the style of play(sometimes hard to not like a player then like him). The potential kids excite me and I want to see them realize their potential.

Bottom line, though, is as much as I dislike Sather and think Renney's a 'C' coach, I can't bring myself to root against them. The minute I do, a Islanders fan or Devils fan pooh-poohs the Rangers and your blood gets going and you remember you're a Rangers fan not matter what.

Excellent post, Fletch.

Sometimes this team gets me so down, but a game against the Devils or the Islanders, or the Flyers before they started to suck, and I'm right back to being that scream my head off superfan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VEGASRANGERFAN (Post 7710721)
I pay $130 a season just to watch the Rangers play on Center Ice. I will never root for a loss!

Now that is dedication. You're getting center ice for cheaper than I am. Did you get the early bird pre-season special?

As for the team... I'm torn, because I want the team to win, but I know this team has zero chance of winning the cup. I can feel them making a deadline move or two, but I just don't think they have the build of a championship team. A good defense is what we really lack, and our true leader isn't even wearing the C. The person who is wearing the C is a bad example for the team with his lazyness, and willingness to show up whenever he wants to. It just isn't all that promising to me, and it's dissapointing me, because I've been a fan of this team since I was very young, and I sat through 8 years of missing the playoffs, and progressing nowhere because our stupid front office didn't have a clue of how to draft or scout. Jeff Brown? Ok, Cherneski had the freak accident, can't blame them or him. Jessiman? Falardeau? I mean, that's not even the half of it. Look at all of the mistakes, they're unbearable.

I want to see this team replenish the system. We lack potential elite young talent. Hell, you know what, screw the word elite... we lack potential 1ST LINERS. We have no forwards who stand a chance of being 1st liners one day, and we have only one defender that's a sure-fire lock to be a top-pairing guy in Staal. We do have another potential franchise goaltender in Monty who is going to be a great trading chip, but we need more talent up front. We have the character and depth players... Pyatt, Cliche, Anisimov, Immonen, Byers, Moore, Callahan - who knows with him and the season he's having if it's any indication of him being able to take his game higher - and on defense... Sanguinetti, Sauer, Baranka... The one thing we're missing is those first line scorers. It doesn't even have to be a generational talent like a Crosby or Ovechkin, or a franchise player, it could be a guy who just potentially has the skill to be on the first line one day and put up that kind of numbers.

Realistically, if we want to start saying those two words, the front office has to replenish this system and build it up the right way.

Fletch 01-18-2007 01:35 PM

yeah...

$130 seems cheap! Maybe I should be moving to Vega$. I pay about $165 to watch the Wolfpack on a small screen while being held hostage to varying Internet speeds, especially the provider of the webcasts. You pay less for 30 games a week!

CM Lundqvist 01-18-2007 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 7711744)
$130 seems cheap! Maybe I should be moving to Vega$. I pay about $165 to watch the Wolfpack on a small screen while being held hostage to varying Internet speeds, especially the provider of the webcasts. You pay less for 30 games a week!

Yeah, he had to have gotten that early bird special. I must have spent the money I was going to use to get that on hockey equipment or something. :biglaugh:

By the way, where do you get Wolfpack telecasts? I'm interested in watching the team, I'd love to see how they're doing now that I hear they're turning it around.

NYR94 01-18-2007 01:48 PM

I could never root for them to lose. Even though I know a Cup run is highly unlikely this year, I still want the team to go as far as its talent can possibly take it. If that means a first-round loss or a second-round loss, then so be it. Some more playoff experience would also be good for the younger guys. Gotta learn how to lose before you learn how to win.

Ola 01-18-2007 01:48 PM

When the fans starts rooting for losses I wonder if it isn't worth it to send Staal, Montoya and Co packing for just about any vet that can win us a game or two in the PO's...

Bluenote13 01-18-2007 01:48 PM

This is always the worst part of the season for me. They keep losing, but then they'll throw together a few wins against good teams or rivals and you'll think they're 'turning it around'. But of course they go on to lose 7 straight and the process repeats until about April.

It's gonna s**k bad if they dont make the playoffs this year and we have to settle for the #14 pick overall.

CM Lundqvist 01-18-2007 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13 (Post 7711911)
This is always the worst part of the season for me. They keep losing, but then they'll throw together a few wins against good teams or rivals and you'll think they're 'turning it around'. But of course they go on to lose 7 straight and the process repeats until about April.

It's gonna s**k bad if they dont make the playoffs this year and we have to settle for the #14 pick overall.

That's it right there. I think we're all tired of it, but we don't want to see the team lose at the same time because we've suffered through futility for so long.

That's been the problem over the years. We've never had that draft picks high enough to get those franchise cornerstone guys or generational talents. I mean we've only had 3 franchise/generational guys come up through this system and make the big impact... Park, Leetch, and Richter. That is why we've only won ONE cup in SIXTY-SIX years.

Fletch 01-18-2007 02:10 PM

I thought I got...

the early bird too - but may've been screwed by Time Warner.

I view the games on b2networks. It was pretty bad on weekends a couple months ago, to the point where I couldn't view many games, but has gotten a lot better. It's a bit tough on the eyes, but you can get a sense for how guys are playing.

dank 01-18-2007 02:20 PM

i want a kid that we all can get REALLY excited about.. Besides for Staal, who fell in our laps, i wish we had a player like Malkin, Toews, Backstrom, Kopitar. oh man..

generational talent.. lets get one!

Finest 01-18-2007 02:27 PM

As fustrating this season has been, I dont think I could ever bring myself to root against a team that I have beeen loyaly following since 97 its just not in me.

In The Flesh 01-18-2007 02:42 PM

This season will come around. Sure its not last season, but I think we get in the playoffs. After that, you never know. Just don't want to face Jersey.

shoothepuck 01-18-2007 02:53 PM

You never root for a loss.

Shadowtron 01-18-2007 02:59 PM

Might as well. We root for mediocrity every season.

JLHockeyKnight 01-18-2007 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoothepuck (Post 7712734)
You never root for a loss.

Yeah seriously, no offense, but what's wrong with you guys if you root for a loss for any reason?