HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Has it lasted a lifetime? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=334067)

Inferno 01-19-2007 02:01 AM

Has it lasted a lifetime?

You all remember the words. "And this one will last a lifetime".

Well....has it? Just wondering, but to me, this season, coupled with a dreadful decade plus of incompetence has really taken the shine off of 1994. I look back less and less on those days with joy, and more of an annoyance that this crap is what weve followed up one of the best moments in NY Sports history.

how about you guys?

GarretJoseph* 01-19-2007 02:16 AM

It better last us a life time! lol

BwayBshirt 01-19-2007 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inferno272 (Post 7722289)

Well....has it? Just wondering, but to me, this season, coupled with a dreadful decade plus of incompetence has really taken the shine off of 1994. I look back less and less on those days with joy, and more of an annoyance that this crap is what weve followed up one of the best moments in NY Sports history.

how about you guys?

funny that you mention this subject. i actually from time to time think about this myself and wonder "where did the years go?" and even "am i going to see another cup for this team again?"

i wouldn't be quick to count this season as part of the frustration because there's a whole lot more games and a trade deadline to see. we are still talking about a team that, unlike a lot of what we've seen in the past, is holding its head above water (3 more points than games played which IMO is a bigger indicator of success compared to wins and losses).

however i think the way things had been by and large, COUPLED with the fact that the devils have been so good in the swamps, has taken a piece of the shine off that season.

In The Flesh 01-19-2007 08:00 AM

It's going to last a lifetime. The Cup in 94 set a new curse.

Fletch 01-19-2007 08:00 AM

I'm still alive...

and can still remember that season, many of the games that were played that season, the playoffs, the last game, what I did each night during the final week or so, and the day. So yes, so far it's lasted a lifetime, and it may not feel like that again. I was thinking about this today - those Rangers...they seemed like New Yorkers. You thought Leetch, Richter, Mess and Graves were in the City to stay. You felt like this was their home. I don't get that feeling today - and perhaps with the potential for player movement to be greater than before due to the cap and other reasons, I may not get that feeling again. Perhaps that's why it's hard for me to embrace this team like those of the 70s, 80s, 90s, and even the bad teams of the early 00s.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 01-19-2007 08:37 AM

I will always have fond memories for 94. And I wouldn't trade it for anything.

That said, it was 13 years ago. That's a very long time. I graduated from high that June. Now I'm married. The Devils won 3 Cups since then.

Hopefully now that the remainders of that team are retiring, we can move on from that era. The Rangers #11, #2, #35 pieces are nice — but they are also propaganda. Name the Cup as the #1,2, or moment in Garden history and then let's move on. I think that there has been too much rehashing of 94 (evidently most Ranger classics took place between during those two months). And I think MSG uses it to distract us from the fact that aside from a magical run to the ECF, this franchise has done nothing since then. And don't even have a whole lot to show for their failure.

I'm done with 94. I used to watch Game 7 at least once a year for years after the Cup win. I probably haven't watched it in 4 years now.

SML 01-19-2007 08:42 AM

It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be, IMO. The one thing 94 did that you can never overlook is it set the expectation level higher for us. I was a senior in college that year, so a lot of great things were happening, but at least for me, prior to that, when the wheels came off the wagon, as they did every year before that, you EXPECTED it to happen. You waited for it, and there it was. The stars are aligned against us. The curse. There's nothing you can do, just deal with it. It's a bad place for a franchise to be in. Any team that goes THAT long, ala Rangers, Red Sox, Cubs, and so on, the losing becomes the identity. And the same masochistic sob's will come out and identify with it and follow it to heartbreak every year. The years have gone by fast, but when I watch that shot, of Messier jumping up and down like a little kid, I get overcome by it the same way I did the moment it happened. When I watch highlights of that season, of Leetch going end to end, I get chills. Whenever I think of that team and that season, I'm 21 again, in the prime of my life. It's like a time machine into my past, even though it's not that long ago. If that team and that season gives me nothing more than that when I'm an old man, I'll be a happy one. That's what 94 is about for me. The same way people will never forget where they were on 9/11 or when Kennedy was shot, I have 94, except it's linked to great memories, not bad ones. So while I'd love the Rangers to have dozens of Stanley Cup banners hanging, they don't, but yes, whether they win more or never again, it will last for me.

WheresBarnaby 01-19-2007 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 7723198)
I think that there has been too much rehashing of 94 (evidently most Ranger classics took place between during those two months). And I think MSG uses it to distract us from the fact that aside from a magical run to the ECF, this franchise has done nothing since then. And don't even have a whole lot to show for their failure.

It's true it was amazing and it's still great to watch, and everytime it's over, I think of our team now and shake my head. Where's that drive and determination that Messier brought? But It was more than just him it was something from everyone, and a few players have it on our team do have it. At the same time some say "we wanna be a cup team" and some put everything they have out there night after night to do anything they can. I think it's obvious who's who, and IMO there's not enough of the latter. I don't want to turn this into another Shanahan rant, but he often mentions the pride he has in that orginal six jersey, and the respect for the NY fans. We need more of that, or maybe it's just more important to the fans, then it is to the players. Maybe their content with playing the season ending in April/May.

HockeyBasedNYC 01-19-2007 11:00 AM

I wonder how many wouldve sold their souls for a cup that year.

Looks like a lot did.

I Am Chariot 01-19-2007 11:02 AM

Yes

Would be nice to win again....but it would be near impossible to win in such a grand dramatic fashion

They didnt just win

They won as BIG as possible imo

The ECF finals was the BEST series in any sport EVER imo

Game 7 Finals at MSG!

HARD FOR ANY TEAM ANYWHERE TO TOP THAT

Bluenote13 01-19-2007 11:59 AM

'94 was amazing, I don't think i'll ever feel like it was not enough if they never win it again in my life. My Father was 47 when he finally got to see the team he'd been rooting for as a kid win it all.

Like prevoiusly mentioned, it'd be hard to top Mess, Graves, Leetch, Richter, Kovalev, Zubov, Beuk - seemed like they really were NY'ers on and off the ice. Those guys all 'grew up' in NY(for Mess his re-birth) and I think thats what I hope eventually happens in the future - getting guys like Lundqvist, Prucha, Staal, Sanguinetti, etc and hoping they become a true team. In todays FA/cap NHL I don't know if its really possible though.

shoothepuck 01-19-2007 12:37 PM

94 was the greatest, and it will last a lifetime. You knew they would win, and the players proved it almost every time they stepped on the ice. What's expected, and what's seen on the ice this season, is the worst part of this team in general. You would expect that the team/management would do better than they have to try to get the cup back, or even make the playoffs. After last season, everyone knew that the team needed a 2nd line center, a tough stay at home D man, and some physical players. Besides Shanny, (who's been a gift this season), management has done little or next to nothing to further this team along. They signed some names who didn't fit, keep some loosers for whatever reason, and never really gave youth much of a chance. The players play unmotivated hockey, management and the coaching staff feed everyone lines of crap, and the fans expect wins. It may take another lifetime.

Fotiu22 01-19-2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inferno272 (Post 7722289)

how about you guys?

absolutely. I am sure that when I am on my deathbed I will still recall that moment and smile... then it will have surely lasted a lifetime.

Skroob* 01-19-2007 12:49 PM

Quote:

That said, it was 13 years ago. That's a very long time.

eh, not really. Keep in mind that this is now a 30 team league. While in the past 13 years without a Cup would have been a bad mark, it can take longer than that now, just by law of averages.

in fact, since we won, only 6 out of 30 teams have won it.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 01-19-2007 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skroob (Post 7725612)
eh, not really. Keep in mind that this is now a 30 team league. While in the past 13 years without a Cup would have been a bad mark, it can take longer than that now, just by law of averages.

in fact, since we won, only 6 out of 30 teams have won it.

I'm not saying it's been a long time and we haven't won a Cup yet. But I am saying that it's a long ago when MSG treats it like it happened recently. And I just don't think it is a recent event.

Case in point: the Cup was at the Messier retirement ceremony. Why? He won more Cups in Edmonton. And 94 was over a decade ago.

SML 01-19-2007 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 7725650)
I'm not saying it's been a long time and we haven't won a Cup yet. But I am saying that it's a long ago when MSG treats it like it happened recently. And I just don't think it is a recent event.

Case in point: the Cup was at the Messier retirement ceremony. Why? He won more Cups in Edmonton. And 94 was over a decade ago.

Great point and I screamed out loud when I saw them bring the cup out. So let me get this straight... you can't TOUCH the prince of Wales trophy, but you can drag the STANLEY CUP out for a going away party??? :amazed:

alkurtz 01-19-2007 02:12 PM

I think that it depends on how old you are and how long you have been a Rangers fan. For fans who have rooted for the teams since the early 1960s like myself (I also was a season ticket holder 68 thru 75, the wonderful but disappointing Francis years) and who had long given up any hope that I would ever seen the Rangers win, the memory of that Cup still burns bright, and no matter how many more frustrating years and decades I still have left to root for this maddening franchise, I will always have that moment. Every time I see a clip of Mess raising the Cup, I smile. It may "have to last a lifetime," but I will always have that memory. Only the birth of my kids comes close to the elation I felt that day. I still watch the tape on June 14 and it always moves me to cry from happiness.
I guess for younger fans, who waited less and have many, many decades to go, one cup is not enough and I perfectly understand how having to last a lifetime just doesn't make it.
Sad to say, but the only way I see the Rangers challenging for the Cup in the next ten years is by hoping that Crosby ends up here when he becomes a free agent, or by hoping that all 3 Staals end up here. Of course, it would greatly help to get rid of Sather. I have no hope as long as he is here. Its easy rooting for a great team. There is even some perverse enjoyment in rooting for a bad team. It mediocre teams, like the Rangers are now and will likely be for years, that are the most exasperating. But no matter what, I'll always have 94, a moment I never, ever expected to have.

Inferno 01-19-2007 02:15 PM

well, i guess more people look at 1994 as sort of an escape for what weve seen the past 13 years now, but to me its more of a kickin the nuts than anything. like, we had that 1 great moment, and since then its been almost predictable that we will be a crap team. weve had what...2 playoff years since that cup? thats just....sad.

i dunno, maybe im in more of a depressed place with what ive witnessed with this team than most of you guys.

Shadowtron 01-19-2007 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inferno272 (Post 7726568)
well, i guess more people look at 1994 as sort of an escape for what weve seen the past 13 years now, but to me its more of a kickin the nuts than anything. like, we had that 1 great moment, and since then its been almost predictable that we will be a crap team. weve had what...2 playoff years since that cup? thats just....sad.

i dunno, maybe im in more of a depressed place with what ive witnessed with this team than most of you guys.

4 total. Including the no-show last season. 94-95, 95-96, 96-97, 05-06!

Inferno 01-19-2007 02:49 PM

yeah, that sounds right.

Edge 01-20-2007 03:47 PM

Will it last a lifetime? Probably not, but it sure sounds a lot better than "This one will last for a few years until the team goes into a period of utter darkness in dispair".

What it really shows me is just how tough it must've been to be a Ranger fan from 1941 to 1994 or a Red Sox fan or a Cubs fan or a White Sox fan.

For as much pissing and moaning as we do, what we're experiencing is pretty lame compared to other fans.

True Blue 01-20-2007 10:19 PM

Quote:

That said, it was 13 years ago. That's a very long time. I graduated from high that June. Now I'm married. The Devils won 3 Cups since then.

Hopefully now that the remainders of that team are retiring, we can move on from that era. The Rangers #11, #2, #35 pieces are nice but they are also propaganda. Name the Cup as the #1,2, or moment in Garden history and then let's move on. I think that there has been too much rehashing of 94 (evidently most Ranger classics took place between during those two months). And I think MSG uses it to distract us from the fact that aside from a magical run to the ECF, this franchise has done nothing since then. And don't even have a whole lot to show for their failure.

Well said, Singin'. It's been a long, long time and there have been very few happy moments inbetween.

jumptheshark 01-20-2007 10:42 PM

Quote:

Hopefully now that the remainders of that team are retiring, we can move on from that era. The Rangers #11, #2, #35 pieces are nice but they are also propaganda. Name the Cup as the #1,2, or moment in Garden history and then let's move on. I think that there has been too much rehashing of 94 (evidently most Ranger classics took place between during those two months). And I think MSG uses it to distract us from the fact that aside from a magical run to the ECF, this franchise has done nothing since then. And don't even have a whole lot to show for their failure.

I'm done with 94. I used to watch Game 7 at least once a year for years after the Cup win. I probably haven't watched it in 4 years now.

You watch it with joy

I wake up in a cold sweet some nights have flash backs to John Macyntire missing a wide open net--nucks should have won the game--but their own stupidity kept them from taking the next step.
I am more bitter over Regis Philben going on about "what is a Canuck" jokes.

n8 01-21-2007 12:42 AM

i think Sam meant, "enjoy it because Cups in New York come only once a lifetime"

Another Cup surely would be nice but I'd sure settle for a consistently good team at this point. And lines like we expect them where players aren't being grossly misused. No more Holik as 1st line center or Cullen signed to be a 2nd line center.

Inferno 01-21-2007 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge (Post 7737742)
Will it last a lifetime? Probably not, but it sure sounds a lot better than "This one will last for a few years until the team goes into a period of utter darkness in dispair".

What it really shows me is just how tough it must've been to be a Ranger fan from 1941 to 1994 or a Red Sox fan or a Cubs fan or a White Sox fan.

For as much pissing and moaning as we do, what we're experiencing is pretty lame compared to other fans.

no need to get snippy.:loony: