HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rumour: Peca to Leafs? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=33454)

leafaholix* 12-04-2003 05:14 PM

Rumour: Peca to Leafs?

Well, it's another Peca thread, but it's a new rumour.

Source: Mojo 640

Apparentely the price for Michael Peca would be Matthew Stajan.

Thoughts?

leafaholix* 12-04-2003 05:20 PM

Apparentely he took a cheap run at Jamie Lundmark tonight.

He was ejected... not sure it helps his cause... he's playing bad and seems to be frustrated.

BlueAndWhite 12-04-2003 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go pierre hedin

Thoughts?

Without taking into account the VALUE of the players exchanged; this is not a good deal from a Leafs standpoint.

Stajan is one the few good prospects/young forwards that the Leafs have. He has played very well for the Maple Leafs in all situations and at 19 is looking like a fixture on the squad.

The Leafs do not need to add another forward, even if it someone of Peca's calibre.

IF the Leafs are to make any moves, then a trade for a #1 defenseman (doubtful if whether the Leafs have the assets to make such a deal, or if they can afford to part with the assets needed to make such a deal) or a top #4 defenseman.

B.D. Gallof 12-04-2003 05:29 PM

Quote:

He was ejected... not sure it helps his cause... he's playing bad and seems to be frustrated.

i didn't see it as a cheap shot. referees construed it as kneeing.

Trottier 12-04-2003 05:30 PM

He played a great game, dominating physically not unlike his Buffalo days.

"Apparently a cheapshot?" NYR's own announcers suggested that it wasn't dirty.

It was hard, it caused injury, but it was not a cheapshot. Please check your sources (or see the play yourself) before spreading rumor.

Brentfax 12-04-2003 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gooch
i didn't see it as a cheap shot. referees construed it as kneeing.

Bad call by the refs as Lundmark moved at the very last minute to cause a thigh on thigh situation, Peca didn't move his legs at all and what can i say, just plain bad luck for him.
Oh by the way, the way Peca played tonight the Leafs will have to add more to the deal if they want him.

Legionnaire 12-04-2003 05:43 PM

If the Leafs want to make a serious Cup run, before the entire team is geriatric, they make this move.

Timmer 12-04-2003 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legionnaire
If the Leafs want to make a serious Cup run, before the entire team is geriatric, they make this move.

Short and sweet ........NO!

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina 12-04-2003 05:50 PM

Quote:

Thoughts?

Don't take half of what is said on that station seriously.

p.l.f. 12-04-2003 05:54 PM

all the interviews with nieuwendyk and nolan about the kid matt stajan as a feel good thing. how he learns from them etc.

matt stajan is the love child of the toronto maple leafs :joker:

Isles_Goal 12-04-2003 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier

"Apparently a cheapshot?" NYR's own announcers suggested that it wasn't dirty.

It was hard, it caused injury, but it was not a cheapshot. Please check your sources (or see the play yourself) before spreading rumor.

From where I was sitting at the game it looked more like a collision.

I think the way Peca came-out playing tonight...he was showcasing himself for the scouts in attendance. He probably felt this was as good a chance he will have to grab someone's attention and get out.

John Flyers Fan 12-04-2003 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier

The first physical game I've seen him play this year. Question is, will he continue that ?? Not sure if his body can take that kind of play on a consistant basis any more.

If he can keep it up, it raises he value substantially.

----------------------------------------------------

BTW Aucoin has been the Isles best defenseman everytime I've watched them this year.

Unthinkable 12-04-2003 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p.l.f.
all the interviews with nieuwendyk and nolan about the kid matt stajan as a feel good thing. how he learns from them etc.

matt stajan is the love child of the toronto maple leafs :joker:

Aren't Nieuwendyk and Stajan roommates this year? That bodes very very well for Stajan's development in my eyes considering how hard he pushed Langenbrunner and Friesen to be better players on a game to game basis last season. Friesen ended up turning around his career in a big way while Langenbrunner emerged as one of the Devils most important players in short order. Joe is a great team player.

Patty Roy 12-04-2003 06:25 PM

Shouldn't the Leafs be looking at adding a defenceman before they look to add yet another high payed forward?

I think the Leafs need to pass on this deal. Not so much because i'm so high on Stajan, but more because i think the Leafs need to address other needs if they want to contend.

p.l.f. 12-04-2003 06:31 PM

its a tough call on how good stajan might get.
he's the smart,wimpy type.

alot like mccauley

pb1300 12-04-2003 06:53 PM

Quote:

Sounds like he would fit in perfectly with the Leafs.

leafaholix* 12-04-2003 06:59 PM

He plays kinda like Joe Nieuwendyk... I noticed that tonight.

Not as strong though... but he's only 19.

Darth Milbury 12-04-2003 07:56 PM

Quote:

He plays kinda like Joe Nieuwendyk... I noticed that tonight.

Not as strong though... but he's only 19.

Your distorting the rumor a bit here. Isles asked that Stajan be included in any PACKAGE. It won't be Stajan straight up. It will be Stajan plus

BlueAndWhite 12-04-2003 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Your distorting the rumor a bit here. Isles asked that Stajan be included in any PACKAGE. It won't be Stajan straight up. It will be Stajan plus

Then, if JFJ is smart - he declines politely and tries to accquire a player the team REALLY needs - a top 4 defenseman.

leafaholix* 12-04-2003 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury

lol.

Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry.

:p

Legionnaire 12-04-2003 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmer
Short and sweet ........NO!

No as in they don't want to make a cup run before the team is gereatric? :joker:

CREW99AW 12-04-2003 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite
Then, if JFJ is smart - he declines politely and tries to accquire a player the team REALLY needs - a top 4 defenseman.

Then just like last summer's failed Hamrlik-Leaf talks,both teams will turn elsewhere.

Darth Milbury 12-04-2003 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite

Makes 100% sense to me.

Darth Milbury 12-04-2003 08:31 PM

Quote:

lol.

Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry.

:p

TSN: "Milbury wanted Stajan included in any deal."

Does that say Stajan straight up? Nope. It says Stajan as part of a deal. What part of that don't you understand?

Not trying to flame you dude, but you are dreaming if you really believe you are getting Peca straight up for Stajan. And, I still say, it is reasonably likely Steen will be an Islander when this is all over.

Brock 12-04-2003 08:34 PM

Essentially I'd be very angry if the Leafs were to trade one of our top young players in exchange for another forward.

If the Leafs were to give up Stajan in order to get a very good top 3 defenseman, than so be it. It addresses our need and gives us a much better chance to make a strong cup run.