HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Part II: Fire Renney? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=334634)

FLYLine24 01-20-2007 02:56 PM

Part II: Fire Renney?

A month later, not much has changed, youth getting no ice time, poor decidions in key times, poor line combinations that are results in no goals.... time to finally give the weak link in the team the ax

Fletch 01-20-2007 03:04 PM

You should say...

youth getting less ice time...

Heck, even the Hossa experiment on the second line only lasted a game or two.

ECL 01-20-2007 03:15 PM

Renney = Coughlin = Thomas.

Eff NY sports.

Inferno 01-20-2007 03:28 PM

Ive been on the fire renney bandwagon since about the 3rd game of the season. Nothings changed since then.

ECL 01-20-2007 03:36 PM

In fact, I hate Renney SO much that I'm not even going to write my third installment of my open letter to him. He doesn't even deserve that.

DevFan-RU- 01-20-2007 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Prescription (Post 7737388)
Renney = Coughlin = Thomas.

Eff NY sports.

I HATE Coughlin. The man is always looking for his car in the parking lot.

darrenturcotte#8 01-20-2007 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 7737205)
A month later, not much has changed, youth getting no ice time, poor decidions in key times, poor line combinations that are results in no goals.... time to finally give the weak link in the team the ax

10 min left in a 1 goal hockey game... Rangers on the PP and Malik is sent out to the point, straka moves to F and Shanny goes off. umm, yea... It's time to fire Renney.

Choice 01-20-2007 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 (Post 7738281)
10 min left in a 1 goal hockey game... Rangers on the PP and Malik is sent out to the point, straka moves to F and Shanny goes off. umm, yea... It's time to fire Renney.

Yeah Malik on the point in that situation was utterly mind boggling.

Lundqvist=Vezina 01-20-2007 05:12 PM

Renney needs to go. Some of his line choices make no sense what so ever. Its like he just throws random players out there sometimes. He is a joke and I can't wait till he is gone.

Thirty One 01-20-2007 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 (Post 7738281)

Shanahan actually played with the other unit on that PP

MrAlfie 01-20-2007 06:01 PM

fans need to take action now, they should start a chant bring signs to the game and let renney know what you think.
now its the GM that will fire the coach if he has to, but if the fans get up and arms and start to build up a certain pressure with a constant chant ala "fire renney" or "renney sucks" and bring plenty of signs to the game saying "fire renney" , "get a new headcoach" etc. pp. , then the media will pick up on it and they will start asking questions and put pressure on the managment and coaches. and THATS the only way renney is gonna get fired, because i dont see sather firing him on his own.

he NEEDS to go.
NOW!

Choice 01-20-2007 06:22 PM

My only problem with Renney is his baffling line combinations and disgusting over use of Matt Cullen. I do think the team would be better off without him, but I wouldnt say hes the weak link. The weak link is no second line center and poor d.

g52* 01-20-2007 06:23 PM

At first this season I was anti-Renney. Then the Rangers began to pull it together in November and I thought that he might just work out. But now all that good time in November was just a fluke.

Yeah I know he doesnt have much to work with, the players suck, etc. etc. But when you still have the same basic mechanical problems going on from last season and you STILL havent changed them, you need some help.

So I would say Fire Renney. Are we going to get some stellar coach in his place? Probably not. But this team has the talent there in some places but its just not tapping it.

Skroob* 01-20-2007 06:28 PM

should have hired Nolan years ago. too bad the old boys network would not have allowed that.

NYR94 01-20-2007 06:29 PM

I still say give him more time, probably until the end of the season or playoffs if the Rangers make it. I disagree with a lot of his decisions, but I don't know if a replacement at this point would make them much better.

They have coaching problems, I won't deny it, but there are also problems with the actual players he has availabe. And of course those roster problems are the fault of the GM.

Jagr seems to be a player who needs specific treatment from the coach, and Renney has at least managed to keep him happy. If the Rangers can Renney and bring in a guy like Keenan or Quinn, who knows how Jagr might react? You could have Scotty Bowman coach this team, it doesn't matter--if Jagr's pissed, they're not winning.

The New Originals 01-20-2007 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR94 (Post 7739146)
I still say give him more time, probably until the end of the season or playoffs if the Rangers make it. I disagree with a lot of his decisions, but I don't know if a replacement at this point would make them much better.

They have coaching problems, I won't deny it, but there are also problems with the actual players he has availabe. And of course those roster problems are the fault of the GM.

Jagr seems to be a player who needs specific treatment from the coach, and Renney has at least managed to keep him happy. If the Rangers can Renney and bring in a guy like Keenan or Quinn, who knows how Jagr might react? You could have Scotty Bowman coach this team, it doesn't matter--if Jagr's pissed, they're not winning.

For everytime he wasn't giving 100% effort, Scotty Bowman would make Jagr dress up like a woman and watch the game from the bench. :teach:

Brooklyn Ranger 01-20-2007 07:53 PM

Sure, why not, let's fire him. The sad thing is that Renney is the best coach Sather has brought in since he was hired. Why does anyone think the next one will somehow be better than all the others?

It's not really Renney's fault--the fish rots from the head down. You want real change? Fire the Jackass.

Fletch 01-20-2007 08:09 PM

Brooklyn...

I'd suggest that Renney has had the privilege to coach the Rangers' best roster of players that we've seen in a long time and that he's not really a very good coach. As sad as it seems, there were pockets of a month or two here and there with Clueless Ron Low that looked decent too, but he didn't have players that played more than a month or so (see Lindros, Dunham, a 40+ year old Messier and the worst set of defensemen and supporting players one can remember). I think Renney has a lot more to deal with and has a lot more options than any other coach in the last several years.

g52* 01-20-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger (Post 7740331)
Sure, why not, let's fire him. The sad thing is that Renney is the best coach Sather has brought in since he was hired. Why does anyone think the next one will somehow be better than all the others?

It's not really Renney's fault--the fish rots from the head down. You want real change? Fire the Jackass.

I agree, but Sather isnt going anywhere. For true success to build, Sather and Renney BOTH have to go, but one leaving is better then none.

Chimp 01-20-2007 08:12 PM

He's seems to be a nice guy, but he can't be a head coach for a NHL team (I call him "Random Renney" for a reason). It's as simple as that. Nothing personal, just business. I can't say I feel convinced Sather has done a good job either.

RangersMoogle 01-20-2007 08:13 PM

I can't take the line juggling anymore, you're not going to build chemistry changing lines every twelve hours.

Larry Melnyk 01-20-2007 08:15 PM

I keep him, but with reservations...

This team was messed up this summer when Matt CUllen was signed as the 2nd C and Aaron Ward as the physical D-man....More so the former...From the opening day, the lines have been a total mess becasue of the lack of a 2nd C (and I think IMMO is FAR from one and is where he belongs)

And since I think up until this point that the kids were better served in Hartford, I 'll say that Renney's hand hasn't been the strongest...But some of the lines he puts out their are totally assinine and it's criominal regarding some of the lines he won't play (HBO)..I truly don't understand his thinking with the lines...

My bet is the rangers are finaly at the breaking point though, and a 2nd C will be brought in and maybe a change at wing, before too soon...ANd it maybe internal, external or both...once those changes are mad, I would want to give Renney a few weeks to see if he could put this team together.....Nothing more...

No matter waht, I think this is his last year as a Ranger coach and is much better suited as a personnel directo....

Fletch 01-20-2007 08:19 PM

Sock...

I'm not totally against line juggling to find the right pair, as often I believe it's good to keep at least two guys constant and change the other, but Shanahan and Cullen have shown zero chemistry. They've been mostly together the last 18 games and Shanny has zero goals with him. While the 2C position is clearly not manned effectively, at what point does Renney say that Cullen and Shanny do not belong playing together? He broke them up for about 2 games, or parts of two games, all season long. There's zero chemistrty. The should not play with each other. Time to find a new 'partner'.

Brooklyn Ranger 01-20-2007 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 7740510)
I'd suggest that Renney has had the privilege to coach the Rangers' best roster of players that we've seen in a long time and that he's not really a very good coach. As sad as it seems, there were pockets of a month or two here and there with Clueless Ron Low that looked decent too, but he didn't have players that played more than a month or so (see Lindros, Dunham, a 40+ year old Messier and the worst set of defensemen and supporting players one can remember). I think Renney has a lot more to deal with and has a lot more options than any other coach in the last several years.

I'm not suggesting that Renney is a good coach--just the "best" of a bunch of losers that Sather has hired here. And given that management is/was under the delusion that the team they constructed over the summer was one that could contend for a Stanley Cup, I think there is plenty of blame to go around. Sure Renney hasn't gotten the most out of the players he was given, but I would also argue that whomever decided that this group was going to make noise in the playoffs gets plenty of the blame too.

Brooklyn Ranger 01-20-2007 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g52 (Post 7740518)
I agree, but Sather isnt going anywhere. For true success to build, Sather and Renney BOTH have to go, but one leaving is better then none.

I don't think it makes a difference in the long run who coaches Sather's team. There might be a small bounce if Renney were fired tomorrow (maybe enough to get into the playoffs), but in the long run, until Sather goes, this is what we will see. Sather hasn't built a contending team in over 15 years, he's not suddenly going to rediscover his magic touch.