HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Bob McKenzie's top 5 rule changes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=33613)

Joe T Choker 12-05-2003 07:05 AM

Bob McKenzie's top 5 rule changes

#5 - move goal lines and blue lines 3 feet closer to the end boards

#4 - reinstitute the tag up offside rule

#3 - go to automatic icing, improves safety

#2 - make goaltenders fair game when they're outside of their crease

#1 - get rid of the instigator penalty

http://tsn.ca/nhl/

last clip in the audio/video section

triggrman 12-05-2003 07:07 AM

And I agree with all of them.

darth5 12-05-2003 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army

McKenzie knows hockey. One of the best analysts of the game.
And when he says something, you can take it to the bank. He has connections.

TomHBlain 12-05-2003 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnrocketman
McKenzie knows hockey. One of the best analysts of the game.
And when he says something, you can take it to the bank. He has connections.

I would love to see them get rid of the 2-line pass rule. That would open the offense, and might help teams break the trap.

HyperSniper 12-05-2003 08:00 AM

Quote:

OK I can agree with 1-4, but do not know much about the reasoning behind #5...would someone please explain the philosopy behind #5? Seems to me that it would increase the neutral zone and eliminate all but about a foot or two from behind the goals.

Lyons71 12-05-2003 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomHBlain
I would love to see them get rid of the 2-line pass rule. That would open the offense, and might help teams break the trap.

Then say good bye to any defenseman entering the offensive zone. They would just sit back more than they already do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperSniper
OK I can agree with 1-4, but do not know much about the reasoning behind #5...would someone please explain the philosopy behind #5? Seems to me that it would increase the neutral zone and eliminate all but about a foot or two from behind the goals.

The offensive zone would stay the same size. It would make the neutral zone bigger, while making the area behind the net smaller. (6 or 8 feet, I think) Players can get more speed without the puck and have more room to avoid the 2 line pass. More or less, he wants to move the blueline/goalline back to where it was.

All five of these would improve scoring. :rolly:

predhead1 12-05-2003 09:39 AM

[QUOTE=Lyons71]Then say good bye to any defenseman entering the offensive zone. They would just sit back more than they already do.

The offensive zone would stay the same size. It would make the neutral zone bigger, while making the area behind the net smaller. (6 or 8 feet, I think) Players can get more speed without the puck and have more room to avoid the 2 line pass. More or less, he wants to move the blueline/goalline back to where it was. [QUOTE]

yep, the idea that it's easier to score when you're in front of the net than when you're behind the net. moving the goalines back would put more "good ice" in front of the net = more room to score.

just b/c Gretzky played well from behind the net doesn't mean that everyone else in the league can do so.

dirt 12-05-2003 10:59 AM

Quote:

#5-The idea I like better is making the blue line and the red line wider.
#4-Yes
#3-Not sure about this.
#2-Only if skaters are penalized for every time they bump a goalie in the crease.
#1-Yes

triggrman 12-05-2003 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirt
#2-Only if skaters are penalized for every time they bump a goalie in the crease.

See, you can tell he's not a Nashville fan because we are penalized every time we touch a goalie.

AL-Canadian 12-05-2003 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperSniper

The reasoning behind BobMac's #5 is this: players are now using their sticks too much - slashing, highsticking namely - especially on star quality players. With the instigator rule currently in place, any "tough guy" on a team who tries to 'correct' that dangerous play earns an extra 2 minute penalty if he drops his gloves 1st in a fight. Therefore, teams are relucant to "police" the game action on their own like they did several years ago (don't ask when that rule was put in place, I can't remember).

For example, someone slashes, boards Zidlicky or Legwand, and the refs ignore the penalty -- guys like Brookbank or McKenize NOW are often shy about going after the player because that chicken-livered player won't drop the mitts and take his beating like a man. Brookbank or McKenize would get the extra 2-minute penalty for dropping the gloves 1st in a fight.

Getting rid of that rule would free up teams/tough guys and allow them to take care of their own should a cheap shot occur. As an early 70s Flyers (Broad Street Bullies) fan, I know that players were scared to death should they cheap shot Bobby Clarke, Bill Barber, Reg Leach or Rick MacLeish because Schultz, Kelly, the Watsons and a few others would of pummelled them - probably twice - ONCE for thinking about it, THEN again for doing the cheap shot.

There was very little highsticking, slashing, boarding when there was no instigator rule in the NHL. Players could act as their own police.

predhead1 12-05-2003 12:23 PM

AL-C I think that was Bob's #1, but it's excellent summary of the rationale for getting rid of the instigator penalty

AL-Canadian 12-05-2003 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predhead1
AL-C I think that was Bob's #1, but it's excellent summary of the rationale for getting rid of the instigator penalty

My bad - I was looking top to bottom and not at the actual numbers. Sorry for wasting people's time with that then.