HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Which Big Name is the Most Realistic? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=33728)

Mowzie 12-05-2003 04:07 PM

Which Big Name is the Most Realistic?

Mike Peca
Vincent Lecavalier
J.Ninnimaa

Walsher 12-05-2003 04:11 PM

By the sounds of things the biggest name may be Perry. I hope that isn't the case but you can never tell. I am sure Niniimaa is the only realistic name on that list.

hmminvisiblecola1279 12-05-2003 04:15 PM

none of the three although i would love to see janne here again. all three have hefty contracts.

Seachd 12-05-2003 04:20 PM

Out of those three, the most realistic would be Peca. But I'd rather they go younger.

The Rage 12-05-2003 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mowzie
Mike Peca
Vincent Lecavalier
J.Ninnimaa

In the Jounral they wrote that Peca will probably be offered for comrie, and if that were to happen, the Oilers would jump on it. Supposedly, the only stubling block would be whether Comrie would be willing to play for Mike Milbury. I'm not sure if that's the truth, but that's what was reported.

Chayos 12-05-2003 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mowzie
Mike Peca
Vincent Lecavalier
J.Ninnimaa

Lecavalier is unrealistic on our part without really gutting the team. Ninnimaa coming back would help, but again is unrealistic and Peca is just to costly for a checker(ie see MARCHANT)

USC Trojans 12-05-2003 04:50 PM

My dream trade that will never happen:

Comrie + Horcoff + Laraque + 2nd rounder for Lecavalier.

Solves our center problem, gets rid of some excess forwards, and allows our youngsters to get some good playing time.

Yosemite Sam 12-05-2003 05:53 PM

The Oilers just got rid of their Mike Peca (Marchant) because he made too much dough. This Mike Peca makes even more. Does it really make any sense?

hunter orange 12-05-2003 09:06 PM

Some NJ fans have agreed to a Comrie & Smith for Gomez & White deal. I think this would address the situation in Edmonton nicely...now and for the future.

Cujo_31 12-05-2003 09:30 PM

Peca is not coming this way, unless the NYI pay a large portion of his remaining contract. 4.25 mil this season & 5.25 mil next year, way too much.

Mizral 12-05-2003 10:05 PM

What about Comrie and Hemsky for Lecavalier?

This is a deal that could potentially get the Bolts interest, not gut the entire Oilers roster, and make out with probobly the best player of the lot.

Though I'm sure many of you don't like the idea of getting Hemsky, Lecavalier is about as studly as they come.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 12-05-2003 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizral
What about Comrie and Hemsky for Lecavalier?

This is a deal that could potentially get the Bolts interest, not gut the entire Oilers roster, and make out with probobly the best player of the lot.

Though I'm sure many of you don't like the idea of getting Hemsky, Lecavalier is about as studly as they come.

Miz, you've been doin well lately, then ya say somethin like that, and head back to the insane asylum.... :joker:

VinnyLC would be a MASSIVE pickup, the only problem He requires a MASSIVE payment, we're talkin big-time. But one of the main points of getting him is to complement certain guys, and you don't trade a younger player with a higher upside, plus a minimum 60 point center, for a guy like that.

IF dealing for him is even a remote possibility, you also get Kubina out of T-Bay and make this one a blockbuster. Much as I pretty much know there's about .005% chance of us getting Vinny, you can always speculate and hope.

aki 12-05-2003 10:29 PM

When you speculate about hypothetical trade offers, you have to look at it from the perspective of both teams. Even if we could afford Lecavalier (which we can't), there's no way that TB would be interested in taking Comrie plus a bunch of crap for him. Let's get real here. Feaster may not be the best GM in the league but he's not a moron.

As for Peca, he's too expensive and he has not been the same since he got his knee blown out by Tucker. 2 goals so far this season playing with the likes of Yashin. Pass.

It seems a lot of people here have an over-inflated view of Comrie's value as a player, or else they're in dreamland as to what we may be able to get in return. He is a useful player but far from a superstar.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 12-05-2003 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aki
When you speculate about hypothetical trade offers, you have to look at it from the perspective of both teams. Even if we could afford Lecavalier (which we can't), there's no way that TB would be interested in taking Comrie plus a bunch of crap for him. Let's get real here. Feaster may not be the best GM in the league but he's not a moron.

As for Peca, he's too expensive and he has not been the same since he got his knee blown out by Tucker. 2 goals so far this season playing with the likes of Yashin. Pass.

It seems a lot of people here have an over-inflated view of Comrie's value as a player, or else they're in dreamland as to what we may be able to get in return. He is a useful player but far from a superstar.

We can afford Vinny. Without even flinching we can afford Vinny.

I don't really want Peca. He's overpaid for what he does, and doesn't really bring what we need.

Obviously Comrie for Lecavalier wouldn't go straight up, that's why I suggested a much bigger deal.

aki 12-05-2003 10:50 PM

Vinny's salary is $2.6 mil base and who knows how much in bonuses on top of that. The bigger problem in acquiring a guy like Vinny would be what you do when his existing contract is up. He would be a RFA like Comrie is now but looking for much more dough (and probably deserving of it, too).

Dollars aside, there's no question we would really need to sweeten the pot to pry Vinny loose for Comrie. What that might be, I don't know. But I do know that the quantity for quality ideas floating around these boards are not going to do it. The Comrie + Hemsky idea is the only one I have seen that I'd be remotely interested in if I were TB. But as good as Vinny is, I wouldn't make that offer if I were Lowe.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 12-05-2003 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aki
Vinny's salary is $2.6 mil base and who knows how much in bonuses on top of that. The bigger problem in acquiring a guy like Vinny would be what you do when his existing contract is up. He would be a RFA like Comrie is now but looking for much more dough (and probably deserving of it, too).

Dollars aside, there's no question we would really need to sweeten the pot to pry Vinny loose for Comrie. What that might be, I don't know. But I do know that the quantity for quality ideas floating around these boards are not going to do it. The Comrie + Hemsky idea is the only one I have seen that I'd be remotely interested in if I were TB. But as good as Vinny is, I wouldn't make that offer if I were Lowe.

T-Bay: Vinny Lecavalier + Pavel Kubina

Edmonton: Mike Comrie + Jason Smith + Eric Brewer

---------------------------------

Edmonton: Shawn Horcoff + Brad Isbister (Rita, Laraque, picks also avail)

PHO: Paul Mara/Ossi Vaananen

OR

Buffalo: Dmitri Kalinin

OR

Many other possibilities here, just too lazy to look em up tonight.

Decent offers? Or much too insane?

Another problem: Tampa is playing well, not exactly the kind of move a team makes when they're doing well.

Getting Vinny is a very narrow possibility.

Burke's Evil Spirit 12-05-2003 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Miz, you've been doin well lately, then ya say somethin like that, and head back to the insane asylum.... :joker:

VinnyLC would be a MASSIVE pickup, the only problem He requires a MASSIVE payment, we're talkin big-time. But one of the main points of getting him is to complement certain guys, and you don't trade a younger player with a higher upside, plus a minimum 60 point center, for a guy like that.

IF dealing for him is even a remote possibility, you also get Kubina out of T-Bay and make this one a blockbuster. Much as I pretty much know there's about .005% chance of us getting Vinny, you can always speculate and hope.

I dispute the claim that Ales Hemsky has higher upside than Vincent Lecavalier. Also, Lecavalier is on a very reasonable contract for a player of his calibre and a new deal with him would be negotiated under a (presumably) much more favorable CBA. If Kevin Lowe can give $1.5 million to Georges Laraque, he can give Lecavalier $2.6 million.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 12-05-2003 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
I dispute the claim that Ales Hemsky has higher upside than Vincent Lecavalier. Also, Lecavalier is on a very reasonable contract for a player of his calibre and a new deal with him would be negotiated under a (presumably) much more favorable CBA. If Kevin Lowe can give $1.5 million to Georges Laraque, he can give Lecavalier $2.6 million.

You're free to do that...I'm just pretty convinced the other way.

Laraque isn't making $1.5mil, but yes, VL's contract is quite reasonable.