HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Jani Rita (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=33747)

Oi'll say! 12-05-2003 05:33 PM

Jani Rita

I missed the game on the score, but JR was finally back in the lineup and had another 9 shots on goal. That's 40% of the team total 24 shots.

JR had a goal and was +1.

Rita's last 7 games:

3g, 9a, 12pts, +7, 36 shots.

avg=1.7 pts, +1.0, 5 shots. He never had a minus game during that stretch.

Digger12 12-05-2003 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
I missed the game on the score, but JR was finally back in the lineup and had another 9 shots on goal. That's 40% of the team total 24 shots.

JR had a goal and was +1.

Rita's last 7 games:

3g, 9a, 12pts, +7, 36 shots.

avg=1.7 pts, +1.0, 5 shots. He never had a minus game during that stretch.

:eek: I didn't realize he'd had such a hot stretch, and that's with an injury in the middle of it too.

Not bad at all, hopefully he won't be a Duck in the very near future...

momentai 12-05-2003 05:42 PM

He had a very good game tonight. Very noticeable every time he was on the ice. As I said in a previous thread, he along with Sarno and Salmo had an UNBELIEVABLE shift in the third period where the term dominant would be a tad understated.

Asiaoil 12-05-2003 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momentai
He had a very good game tonight. Very noticeable every time he was on the ice. As I said in a previous thread, he along with Sarno and Salmo had an UNBELIEVABLE shift in the third period where the term dominant would be a tad understated.

Yeah that trio certainly was good - like I said on the Runners game thread - too bad you couldn't put Salmo's heart in Rita's body. :dunno:

FacelessButcher 12-05-2003 05:49 PM

I just watched the 3rd and it was pretty impressive, I'd like to see Salmo and Rita get a shot at the same time either centered by Oates or Stoll.

dawgbone 12-05-2003 05:54 PM

I had mentioned earlier that before Rita got hurt, he was playing his best hockey I have ever seen him play.

I think this is what we (and the Oilers) were expecting to see from him. I honestly think the calling up of Salmo (whom I had originally said should get a call before Rita), really gave Rita a kick in the butt.

He wants to be in the NHL, and if he keeps this up, I don't see how the Oilers can leave him down.

And he was absolutely spectacular tonight. He won battles for the puck, races for the puck, made about 5 or 6 very smart defensive plays, and was moving the whole game.

elphy101 12-05-2003 06:26 PM

My dream lineup especially if Rita starts to achieve on some of his potential. First, trade Comrie, Laraque, and Chimera to Anaheim for Vishnevski, Perry and a 1st.

Smyth Oates Hemsky
Torres York Dvorak
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Rita Stoll Salmolainen

Pressbox Horcoff, Sarno

Brewer Vishnevski
Smith Staois
Cross Semenov

Bergeron, Ferguson

thome_26 12-05-2003 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphy101
My dream lineup especially if Rita starts to achieve on some of his potential. First, trade Comrie, Laraque, and Chimera to Anaheim for Vishnevski, Perry and a 1st.

Smyth Oates Hemsky
Torres York Dvorak
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Rita Stoll Salmolainen

Pressbox Horcoff, Sarno

Brewer Vishnevski
Smith Staois
Cross Semenov

Bergeron, Ferguson

I knew he had it in him - hell, everybody here knew he has it. He needs about 4-5 more games of this and we'll see him up. Injury or no injury. Comrie trade or no Comrie trade. If he plays that well MacT and Lowe will lose ALOT of respect from me (I'm sure they really care too :D ;) ).

The Rage 12-05-2003 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thome_26
I knew he had it in him - hell, everybody here knew he has it. He needs about 4-5 more games of this and we'll see him up. Injury or no injury. Comrie trade or no Comrie trade. If he plays that well MacT and Lowe will lose ALOT of respect from me (I'm sure they really care too :D ;) ).

Wasn't this guy ocne the hockey new prospect of the year? He's got mad skillz, there's no doubt about that. I think all those people who were saying we should trade him were being a tad premature. We probably wouldn't get much for a prospect who doesn't look like he's panning out. However, with his upside, he certainly could be valuable to us.

Walsher 12-05-2003 07:45 PM

Until he carries that play for more than 7 games I still think he has a lot to prove. He hasn't been as spectacular a prospect as I was expecting but he has impressed at times.

Hemsky4PM 12-05-2003 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walsher
Until he carries that play for more than 7 games I still think he has a lot to prove. He hasn't been as spectacular a prospect as I was expecting but he has impressed at times.

The only thing that makes Rita an AHL player while Pisani, Chimera and Horcoff are in the NHL full time: One-way vs. Two-way contracts. Wouldn't it be great to call up Rita for a bit and send Horcs down to get his game back?

Walsher 12-05-2003 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
The only thing that makes Rita an AHL player while Pisani, Chimera and Horcoff are in the NHL full time: One-way vs. Two-way contracts. Wouldn't it be great to call up Rita for a bit and send Horcs down to get his game back?

I would be willing to bet that Horcoffs game belongs in the AHL. I would have no problem giving Rita a chance - at least he is a ligitimate prospect while IMO Horcoff is currently benefitting from a career stretch last year. To me you have to bail off of a sinking ship and Horcoff looks as though that is what he is. I would prefer Rita over Laraque as well. Talk about a wasted roster spot. At least he takes care of community service things.

momentai 12-05-2003 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walsher
I would be willing to bet that Horcoffs game belongs in the AHL.

Depends on what game we are essentially discussing. Are we talking about Horcoff's current struggles this year or his consistent 5 on 5 play as a fourth liner the past 2 seasons before this one? It all depends on what kind of player you believe him to be.

Jim_Harnock 12-06-2003 07:03 AM

The main thing Rita needs to develop is consistency. Everything else he needs to succeed in the NHL is already there, it's just not there every game. In his AHL rookie season, he was fantastic, then he got bogged down the following year, partly due to the depth issue (his rookie season, the Bulldogs were so starved for forward depth, there were numerous occasions where defensemen were dressed as wingers, versus the overstocking that occurred last season).

TkachevYak2Slepy 12-06-2003 09:44 AM

[QUOTE=elphy101]My dream lineup especially if Rita starts to achieve on some of his potential. First, trade Comrie, Laraque, and Chimera to Anaheim for Vishnevski, Perry and a 1st.

Smyth Oates Hemsky
Torres York Dvorak
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Rita Stoll Salmolainen

Lets hope he gets to show his potential as an Oiler and not as a Duck
as trade bait. IMO the Moreau Reasoner line need some additional
talent and skill. When I was watching the RoadRunners games, Rita actual has very good defensive skills and would be a very good fit; forming the third into an offensive threat as well. Making Pisani one of the prime players on the pk.

Smyth Oates Dvorak
Torres York Hemsky
Moreau Reasoner Rita/Pisani
Isbister Stoll Salmelainen

What do you plan to do with Horcoff?

Larry Fisher 12-06-2003 11:06 AM

Ah...the dreaded Bulldog...i mean Roadrunner line!

Rita-Stoll-Salmo

I would like to see this line...3 years from now as our 2nd unit but not in the near future as our 4th line.

Just my opinion but i think we tried this in the past and it worked for a game or two but ended in failure.

However i would LOVE to see all three of these talents spread out over our 4 lines in one shape or another.

Using your trades and the same 12 forwards...how about:

Smyth Oates Rita
Moreau York Dvorak
Torres Stoll Pisani
Hemsky Reasoner Salmolainen

That looks somewhat better to me but not good by no means i still like my old lines:

Smyth Oates Isbister
Torres York Dvorak
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Hemsky Stoll Chimera

In my opinion that is the most adequate line-up of NHL talent we can surface. Not to wish bad luck on anyone but if Pisani and Chimera somehow got injured long term and Horcoff and Laraque were no longer options i would go with a line up of:

Smyth Oates Rita
Torres York Dvorak
Moreau Stoll Isbister
Hemsky Reasoner Salmo

That would work for me...spread the talent out over 4 lines. All four combinations could and would contribute from time to time but theres no way these lines will work as long as MacT's blender is in full force. My honest opinion is that this last set of lines features our 12 BEST forwards!

Oi'll say! 12-06-2003 11:29 AM

There are so many players on this team I like that there's no way MacT can get them all in the lineup for one game, but Rita is a guy who would definitely be a starter here if I could make the call. He just has more strength and skill than so many guys currently playing.

Shizuka 12-06-2003 12:50 PM

I am mystified with Rita's play when he does get into games with the big team. He's capable of playing at a relatively high level, a 3rd line winger with some upside offensively. So where does his game go? He does well in the intial two preseason exhibitions, but then he just disappears. Whenever he gets a call to join the Oil (perhaps he never will? i.e. may be tossed in with a Comrie deal) he hopefully will show and do things to make the management keep him up, because quite frankly that may be his last chance with the Oilers.