HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Addressing the defense (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=337589)

danroy33 01-28-2007 07:41 PM

Addressing the defense

With all of the Forsberg talk and need for a 2nd line center, we fail to address the real issue, a shaky (at best) defense. Defense wins championships so here are two scenarios to consider:

If you can't trade for a defenseman by the trade deadline:
If you bring in a guy like Forsberg, you commit to trying and win now. Do you try and sign a guy like Leetch to bring a veteran presence on the blue line and quarterback and inconsistent power play?

If you can make a trade:
What potential candidates do you look for and what do you have to give up in an ever increasing stingy league?

Finest 01-28-2007 07:45 PM

I dont know much about who should go the other way, but I think Brewer could be a usefull guy for the Rangers.

Anthony Mauro 01-28-2007 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 (Post 7822719)
I dont know much about who should go the other way, but I think Brewer could be a usefull guy for the Rangers.

Brewer, Stuart, and Visnovsky from guys that look like they'll be put on the market. It's all weird though when wanting to address the D because of freaking Malik. The guy is one of the weakest parts, but has the trust of Renney and does not look like he's going anywhere. With this in mind, its almost like, who cares if you want to solidify the D as long as he stays it does not matter if you get Phaneuf.

BDubinskyNYR17* 01-28-2007 08:02 PM

id love Brewer, but we need someone with a little more nastyness.

Rangers get Nick Boynton and Oleg Saprykin
Coyotes get: Immonen, Rachunek and Hall

Straka Nylander Jagr
Shanny Cullen Prucha
Saprykin Betts Hossa
Hollweg Krog Orts

Rozsival Ward
Tyutin Boynton
Pock Girardi

7th dman Malik

SML 01-28-2007 08:12 PM

No, you don't bring in an over the hill defenseman who hasn't played all year.

Diehardfan419 01-28-2007 08:25 PM

Dont know if Chicago would deal him, but Id love to see Vandemeer in NY as our 6th d-man. He's tough as nails, solid positionally, a solid leader, and, oh yeah, just plain tough. Plus, I beleive he is only around 26.

NYCLV 01-28-2007 08:29 PM

What they need to happen is SOMEHOW (and I won't specualte, cause I have NO IDEA) obtain a number one defenseman with the ability to QB the power play like Chara, lead the charge at even strength like McCabe and not have to worry about in their own end.

In other words, highly unlikely. And if it does happen, it would be for a lot of youth.

dynamoovechkin 01-28-2007 08:32 PM

Any chance we could swing a deal for Beachemin in Anaheim? They are plenty deep on D, and maybe Burke could use a serviceable forward or 3. Just wondering out loud...

Plato 01-28-2007 08:36 PM

id love brewer at the right price

bar down* 01-28-2007 08:39 PM

hey maybe the rangers could see if leetch is all set. if hes like the brian leetch of old, you get a d that can qb a powerplay and play sound defense. also he wont be as tired, seeing as he hasnt played yet this season. itd kinda be what roger clemens did for the astros last year.

danroy33 01-28-2007 08:43 PM

I definitely agree. I mean I am a huge sentimentalist (sp?) and with this veteran team we can afford to have him come back, retire a Ranger, and contribute to a veteran power play that could use a power play quarterback. Plus, if a trade isn't out there or if it is too much youth to sacrifice, this comes at a small price.

With guys like Straka, Jagr, Shanahan, and Nylander leading the way, this is a veteran team built to make a run now. Why not give it a shot? At this stage, it doesn't seem like there are too many feasible options.

squilber 01-28-2007 08:48 PM

I know this is old news, but what about that guy Brent Seabrook from Chicago. Isn't he big, young, and good? Didn't the Hawks want him for Prucha?

broadwayblue 01-28-2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danroy33 (Post 7823192)
I definitely agree. I mean I am a huge sentimentalist (sp?) and with this veteran team we can afford to have him come back, retire a Ranger, and contribute to a veteran power play that could use a power play quarterback. Plus, if a trade isn't out there or if it is too much youth to sacrifice, this comes at a small price.

With guys like Straka, Jagr, Shanahan, and Nylander leading the way, this is a veteran team built to make a run now. Why not give it a shot? At this stage, it doesn't seem like there are too many feasible options.

As much as it would give me goosebumps to see #2 back at MSG it's time to move on. Time to start looking towards the future.

Inferno 01-28-2007 09:32 PM

i would stay away from getting a Dman, not unless we are sending a dman not named tyutin, sauer, staal, baranka, or sanguinetti back the other way. weve got so many under contract, and so many coming up, i dont want a kid blocked.

so if we get a dman, its either gotta be for a dman, or on a 1 year contract.

True Blue Bleed Blue 01-29-2007 04:50 PM

Rangers right now need a defensive, physical defenseman. Boynton could work...as could Brewer...some other names could be:

Jackman, Alberts, Allen, Mitchell, Weber, Gauthier

BBKers 01-29-2007 06:02 PM

Erik Brewer, Mike Gauthier, Jamal Myers, Doug Weight

for

Malik, Orr, Ward, Jessiman, Montoya and a 2nd pick

That would end the Peter Forsberg speculation:D

BBKers 01-29-2007 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBKers (Post 7832932)
Erik Brewer, Mike Gauthier, Jamal Myers, Doug Weight

for

Malik, Orr, Ward, Jessiman, Montoya and a 2nd pick

That would end the Peter Forsberg speculation:D

Throw in my hat too

GarretJoseph* 01-29-2007 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 (Post 7822719)

I would love BREWER but in the offseason IF we don't go after Forsberg. If we do, then go after Brewer.. Whats the point in getting a top 6 forward and not upgrade the D and try and go all the way? scary just thinking about it..

SML 01-29-2007 06:10 PM

Yeah, if Michael J Fox could drive Leetch back to the Garden in the Delorean from back to the future and it's 1993, I'm in. That said, I'm not in. No Brian Leetch, thank you.

squilber 01-29-2007 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SML (Post 7833016)
Yeah, if Michael J Fox could drive Leetch back to the Garden in the Delorean from back to the future and it's 1993, I'm in. That said, I'm not in. No Brian Leetch, thank you.

Agreed. Let's remember him the way he was. He's the not the same and never will be again.

squilber 01-29-2007 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SML (Post 7833016)

And don't forget the flux capacitor while you're at it!

n8 01-29-2007 10:39 PM

At this point, I be happy with

Rosival-Ward
Girardi-Tyutin
Rachunek-Pock
Kaspar on 7th.

just dump that Malik bozo (cause we know Renney's never gonna bench or scratch that traffic cone) and let what we've got congeal over the next 32 games. I think we'll like what we see.

If Conroy got a 2nd and 4th round pick, I don't want to know what someone like Brewer or LuboVish will fetch.

At this point I think Zhitnik from the Flyers might be a decent option (in terms of price). That is if he's on his last year of his contract, which knowing Charles Wang, he probably has 7 years left on his contract.