HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   How do you tape your stick and why? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=337831)

Senor Rational 01-29-2007 01:11 PM

How do you tape your stick and why?

What kind of stick do you use and how do you tape it and why?

Just curious Ive always been superstitous when taping my stick.

Bauer Endure, Naslund blade, taped toe, start from heel and nearly double up until middle of blade . . . helps ease hard passes

Easton, mostly Yzerman blade, start at heel, end about 1/2 inch from end of blade. . . The toe being taped doesnt do anything but mess up the rest of the tape on the end. Less tape then the bauer for a different feel.

Anybody else?

McNasty 01-29-2007 01:44 PM

RBK 7K Datsyuk I lay 1 strip horizontally along the bottom of the blade to recieve passes and then tape from the middle to the toe normally.

Doctor Hook 01-29-2007 05:22 PM

Bauer Endure shaft with Easton Synergy ST Forsberg. Lay a strip of tape along the bottom (the part of the blade that touches ice) to prolong usage. Then I tape it very thin from heel to toe. Finish with a healthy coating of stick wax, then run a flame from a lighter or candle along the wax to melt and seal in the goodness. I always use black tape on the blade.

If we're talking grip, I like a thin knob (tear the tape in half) and wrap it around 20 or so times, nothing too thick. I like the grip technique, so I spin the tape around to make twisty string and wrap that around the handle about 6 inches, evenly spaced, finish with a covered layer. Always white tape on the handle. Use a black Sharpie to write my last name and jersey number on both sides of the grip.

Happy Pony 01-29-2007 07:20 PM

Easton Synergy II blade with a Synthesis shaft. I start along the bottom where the colog changes from black to silver. Then I tape the whole blade including the toe. Wax up and melt it just like Dr. Hook said. For the handle, I like to keep it simple, a small knob and a little tape down the shaft, don't change it for a long time on the handle, every few games on the shaft. White for both.

Wachovia Center 01-29-2007 11:30 PM

Bauer Endure, Forsberg Blade. I tape my blade starting at the middle, all the way down past the toe, cut the excess off. I like a small knob at the top, tape goes down about 9 to 10 inches. I only use white tape.

MikeD 01-30-2007 08:41 AM

starting at just above the heal on hte paddle I wrap the tape(wide white only) about half overlaps at about 80 degrees to the toe. Wrapping starting at back under bottom up the face. Wrapping towards the toe of the blade stopping about a half inch from the end. This gives me an over lap on the bottom edge of the blade that is smooth for most usage. Less drag on thebottom edge. Wrapping up the face allows me to have the last wrap over the top and cut so the end is on the backside and downward to prevent unwrapping.

I love it when the shooters use white tape. I can see the shot release much easier as well as where the puck is coming off the stick.

nni 01-30-2007 10:42 AM

warrior ak27 shaft easton hybrid forsberg blade. i start from the heal to the toe then smooth it down with a puck.

the handle i start with a few strips of tape on the end of the shaft both ways then wrap a few times at the top and then go about 6-7 inches down and back up, couple more strips then repeat.

BRONX_MADNESS* 01-30-2007 10:56 AM

Bauer XXX, one horizontal strip starting from the heel wrapping around the toe. Then I tape from heel to almost the toe, and use smaller strips to cover the toe. I use a puck on the entire blade, then add wax. I also add baby powder to the shaft.

petenik 01-30-2007 12:41 PM

do the grip thing at the top...can't remember why but always have...must be Gretz's fault or something...white on top (more recently Team Canada tape) also recently started taping the toe to make the stick last a little longer...saves it from getting chipped big time...black on the blade but thinking about switching to white now that i've switched to playing D.

Doctor Hook 01-30-2007 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD (Post 7840245)

I love it when the shooters use white tape. I can see the shot release much easier as well as where the puck is coming off the stick.

Ah ha! I always thought it was a myth that black tape hides the puck better from goalies, but now we have it straight from a goalie's mouth!
:handclap:

xeric716x 01-30-2007 05:13 PM

Kovalchuk vapor XX round toe. tape toe to heel
same with all my other sticks.

znk 01-30-2007 05:44 PM

-Horizontal strip along the front side of the blade. (Because my sticks kept disintegrating in that area)
-Horizontal strip along the bottom.(Became less necessary once I started waxing the tape)
-Tape from heal to tip.
-Wax the bottom(alot) and both sides. I dont melt it because it still absorbes water and ice particles.

Marns 01-30-2007 06:54 PM

- Strip along the bottom of the blade (part that touches the floor) - because I play inline
- Go heel-to-toe. First goes over the top of the blade, and wraps around after that. Because of the curve I have, it usually gets thicker in the middle of the blade, and thinner towards the toe.

canadian_man_44 01-31-2007 01:46 PM

Forward stick - Grip tape at the butt end of the shaft(Team Canada). Same with partway down the shaft where my hand grips when stickhandling. Team Canada stick tape heel to the very end of the toe and back. Kinda like Forsberg but without the heels and hose.
http://www.divealanche.com/imagefiles/1a_peterheels.jpg

Goalie stick - Team Canada grip tape at the butt end of the shaft as well as at the top of the paddle. Heel to toe to heel on the blade.

SoundwaveIsCharisma 01-31-2007 02:15 PM

Easton Synthesis Forsberg Blade

I tape the toe and the middle pretty well, and candycane the rest of the bllade.

Rare Jewel 01-31-2007 02:54 PM

synergy sl iginla blade, but im using a wooden sherwood now(coffey blade) i tape like shaffer on the sens, long strip along the bottom then the toe a about a 1/4 way down the blade then wax it up

broski 01-31-2007 07:31 PM

Easton Synergy SL Grip Forsberg curve taped toe to heel shot is smoother off the blade as well as passes. Strip on bottom to help stop the cracking at the heel while taking slapshots. Tape whole blade for no good reason! wax up the blade then puck it to hide the puck and finally torch the wax

Berger_4_ 02-01-2007 08:13 PM

Easton ST Sakic, thin strip on the bottom going over the toe to the top inch and a half...then with the tape torn in half, from heel to toe, cutting off the excess...after thats completed, i go with ice wax and rubadubdubthreemeninatub until she's covered! oh, it's gotta be black!

the top of my stick i've got a huge knob for a player (apparently...bout an inch) then down about the width of my glove, with the twisty grip in there for good measure!