HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   5.5 Million to spend next year. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=33790)

Hemsky4PM 12-05-2003 08:54 PM

5.5 Million to spend next year.
 
It's unlikely the Oil will pick up Salo's option at 4M next year, and Oates will retire after this year (1.5M or so). That free's up a whopping 5.5M bucks next year. There are raises coming to some guys, but let's assume that only takes up 2.5M at the most. Plus a goalie to complement Conks at the 1-1.5M range. Leaving 2-2.5M on the table. Perhaps the Oilers could afford to add a decent player at the deadline, or in a trade for Comrie later in the season.

What do you guys think? Is there reason to think we could make an addition this year? Or in the summer?

Let's just pretend that nastly little CBA thing doesn't come into play :dunno:

momentai 12-05-2003 09:24 PM

There are a couple of raises we are going to need to address. I believe Dvorak, Isbister, Reasoner need new contracts.

What I am most concerned about is Eric Brewer. He is already making a whopping 2.5 million dollars this season. Ugh. How high could he possibly want in his next one...

EDIT: Also, we have to factor in Staios' raise as well.

Walsher 12-05-2003 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momentai
There are a couple of raises we are going to need to address. I believe Dvorak, Isbister, Reasoner need new contracts.

What I am most concerned about is Eric Brewer. He is already making a whopping 2.5 million dollars this season. Ugh. How high could he possibly want in his next one...

EDIT: Also, we have to factor in Staios' raise as well.

How is it possible that Brewer could be demanding a raise next year? He is the biggest underachiever. I though he would break out after the olympics but he has regressed to average at best. At what point does potential run out? I realize defensemen take time to season - but 7 years in the league already? That is twice as long as the average career in the NHL and he is still nowhere close to being that solid player he has been touted as. If ever there was a time to play hard ball.

nikeisevil 12-06-2003 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momentai
There are a couple of raises we are going to need to address. I believe Dvorak, Isbister, Reasoner need new contracts.

What I am most concerned about is Eric Brewer. He is already making a whopping 2.5 million dollars this season. Ugh. How high could he possibly want in his next one...

EDIT: Also, we have to factor in Staios' raise as well.

Hopefully Punky Brewster will take a que from Captain Smith and resign for previous year's funds.

jadeddog 12-06-2003 07:53 AM

i cant POSSIBLY imagine how brewer would want (or justify) a more lucrative contract next year.... he has had possibly his worst season in the NHL (not counting rookie) this year so far..... he might turn it all around and have us signing his praises by april, but as of right now he has been pretty bad

creative giant* 12-06-2003 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadeddog
i cant POSSIBLY imagine how brewer would want (or justify) a more lucrative contract next year.... he has had possibly his worst season in the NHL (not counting rookie) this year so far..... he might turn it all around and have us signing his praises by april, but as of right now he has been pretty bad

hey, we said the same thing about comrie last season, and look what we have now

Sabes 12-06-2003 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creative giant
hey, we said the same thing about comrie last season, and look what we have now

good point, but Comrie said it's not the money and he will play for less elsewhere.

kraigus 12-06-2003 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walsher
How is it possible that Brewer could be demanding a raise next year?

I doubt he'll demand one - he'll still be earning over league average (now that Lemieux's turned down the extra 5m :) ). I expect after this year he'd sign for another year at current salary, or for 2-3 at maybe a bit of a raise - he may even pull a Moreau or Smyth and sign for 3 at a bit less, maybe with incentives.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.